Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Rumors and Reports (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/)
-   -   Mac OS X 10.7.3 Beta Drivers Reveal Evidence of New Mac Pros (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/259648-mac-os-x-10-7-3-beta-drivers-reveal-evidence-new-mac-pros.html)

SafeHarbor 12-06-2011 10:51 AM

Mac OS X 10.7.3 Beta Drivers Reveal Evidence of New Mac Pros
 
Quote:

Shortly after the initial Mac OS X 10.7.3 Beta build was released to developers, Netkas noted that he had found traces of new video drivers for an upcoming AMD graphics card. The site lists a series of function names referencing the codename "Tahiti".

"Tahiti" is the codename for AMD's upcoming 28nm desktop graphics cards which are due in January 2012.
"The new Tahiti series should end up with Radeon HD 7xxx branding and as it will come in XT and PRO flavours. Itís kind of safe to assume that Radeon HD 7970, codename Tahiti XT will be the fastest single chip card from AMD while the Radeon HD 7950 will be codename for the Tahiti PRO product."
MacGadget.de points out that this must have been put in place for the Mac Pro, as it's the only Mac that still uses desktop-class graphics cards (translation):
"The presence of these drivers suggests that Apple will release the aforementioned graphics chip with the next-generation Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is the only Mac-series, which are used in desktop graphics chips. In all other Macs GPU Mobile versions can be found."
While it's possible Apple could just be building in support for existing Mac Pros, that's not the way Apple usually works. Apple typically introduces new graphics card support alongside each new product revision. Unfortunately, even if the presence of these drivers proved that Apple had been working on a new Mac Pro, it still doesn't mean Apple will be releasing them.

The previous rumors have suggested that Apple had already developed a new version of the Mac Pro but the company wasn't sure if they were going to release it. The expected January release of the new AMD graphics cards do line up nicely with the Q1 2012 expected availability of suitable Intel Xeon chips for the new Mac Pros.

Apple last updated the Mac Pro over 15 months ago in July, 2010.
Mac OS X 10.7.3 Beta Drivers Reveal Evidence of New Mac Pros - Mac Rumors

RavingMac 12-06-2011 11:07 AM

I hope this means we are going to see a Mac Pro release. Already promised myself a Mac Pro for my next desktop unit, but I would like to have Thundrbolt capability just in case . . . For down the line expansion

SafeHarbor 12-06-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razormac (Post 1336778)
I hope this means we are going to see a Mac Pro release. Already promised myself a Mac Pro for my next desktop unit, but I would like to have Thundrbolt capability just in case . . . For down the line expansion

I think a lot of people are in the same boat as you. The rumors around new Mac Pros have been far and wide for awhile now. While you still can't assume anything quite yet, I think this is perhaps the most trustworthy of all the rumors thus far.

vansmith 12-06-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razormac (Post 1336778)
I hope this means we are going to see a Mac Pro release. Already promised myself a Mac Pro for my next desktop unit, but I would like to have Thundrbolt capability just in case . . . For down the line expansion

You can get TBolt with the current gen iMacs and MBPs. What kind of projects do you need the MP for?

If you have the finances for a MP, it would be better spent on an iMac with the remainder going to me. ;)

RavingMac 12-06-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansmith (Post 1336787)
You can get TBolt with the current gen iMacs and MBPs. What kind of projects do you need the MP for?

If you have the finances for a MP, it would be better spent on an iMac with the remainder going to me. ;)

Based on that logic, wouldn't my money be better spent keeping and using the Macs I have and sending my money to you? ;)

Many reasons for the Mac Pro over iMac:

1) I already have a 27 in monitor that I am well pleased with
2) ditto wireless keyboard and magic trackpad
3) though I have several (4 to 6, I've lst count) FW800 external HDDs, there is no substitute for the speed and flexibility (yet) of an internal drive
4) we're empty nesters and I can afford it, and am buying my expensive toys now before I retire and can't afford it

:)

vansmith 12-06-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razormac (Post 1336795)
Based on that logic, wouldn't my money be better spent keeping and using the Macs I have and sending my money to you? ;)

Yes but I didn't want to sound too greedy. :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razormac (Post 1336795)
Many reasons for the Mac Pro over iMac:

1) I already have a 27 in monitor that I am well pleased with
2) ditto wireless keyboard and magic trackpad
3) though I have several (4 to 6, I've lst count) FW800 external HDDs, there is no substitute for the speed and flexibility (yet) of an internal drive
4) we're empty nesters and I can afford it, and am buying my expensive toys now before I retire and can't afford it

:)

All valid points. You could do dual monitors with the iMac though which, as I have come to appreciate, is nice.

iggibar 12-06-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razormac (Post 1336778)
I hope this means we are going to see a Mac Pro release. Already promised myself a Mac Pro for my next desktop unit, but I would like to have Thundrbolt capability just in case . . . For down the line expansion

I'm not jealous, I swear:) I wish I could get a Mac Pro. Seems to be my only real viable, upgrade-worthy, purchase from Apple. I'm not sold on the new MacBook Pros. It sure is a pretty penny though.

RavingMac 12-06-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggibar (Post 1336806)
I'm not jealous, I swear:) I wish I could get a Mac Pro. Seems to be my only real viable, upgrade-worthy, purchase from Apple. I'm not sold on the new MacBook Pros. It sure is a pretty penny though.

When I do a dollars and cents analysis I really can't justify it. But I still want one! ;)

I may even wait a while and get a refurb 2012 as I am not in a hurry on this, assuming they do release as rumored.

iggibar 12-06-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razormac (Post 1336818)
When I do a dollars and cents analysis I really can't justify it. But I still want one! ;)

I may even wait a while and get a refurb 2012 as I am not in a hurry on this, assuming they do release as rumored.

Yeah, it would be a refurb for me too. That way, I could spend a little more on some screens. But, that's the dreaming side of my brain talking :D

songman 12-18-2011 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansmith (Post 1336787)
You can get TBolt with the current gen iMacs and MBPs. What kind of projects do you need the MP for?

If you have the finances for a MP, it would be better spent on an iMac with the remainder going to me. ;)


What about those who require PCIe expansion slots? I run a Protools HD system and use all 3 PCIe slots.

cwa107 12-18-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songman (Post 1341774)
What about those who require PCIe expansion slots? I run a Protools HD system and use all 3 PCIe slots.

Theoretically, it should be possible to make an external PCIe cage for the Thunderbolt port. The possibilities are really endless since Thunderbolt is pretty much a direct pipe to PCIe.

Frankly, I'm stunned that more vendors haven't hopped on Thunderbolt. I guess a lot of people and companies look at it as a "competitor" for USB3 and are waiting to see how things shake out, but really the two technologies are on different playing fields.

Hopefully by this time next year, Intel will be implementing the Thunderbolt controller into their chipsets and we'll see masssive adoption on high-end motherboards, PCs and across the board on Macs. That should spawn some really cool developments in Thunderbolt hardware. Can't wait.

RavingMac 12-18-2011 10:40 AM

Any possibility for retrofit on older Mac Pros to Thundrbolt via a new Graphics Card (assuming they introduce Thunderbolt to the PC world)?

whitehorse84 12-18-2011 01:11 PM

Very interesting. I've always wondered if the older Mac Pros could be retrofitted with thunderbolt capabilities.

dtravis7 12-18-2011 01:17 PM

I love the Mac Pro but can not afford one. I love expandable computers. Oh well, stuck with my iMac I guess.

Good Luck Razor. I could do a van and ask you to get a Mini and send me the rest of the $$$ so I could get a new Mac, but I will refrain! :D Grin

RavingMac 12-18-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtravis7 (Post 1341908)
I love the Mac Pro but can not afford one. I love expandable computers. Oh well, stuck with my iMac I guess.

Good Luck Razor. I could do a van and ask you to get a Mini and send me the rest of the $$$ so I could get a new Mac, but I will refrain! :D Grin

I would consider it, but that would put you in the impossible position of either getting rid of some of your old computers to make space or moving to a bigger house . . . and I wouldn't want to be responsible for that. ;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.