Post Despite new CPU options, Apple reportedly questioning future of Mac Pro
    Despite new CPU options, Apple reportedly questioning future of Mac Pro

Despite the coming availability of a new generation of Sandy Bridge desktop CPUs suitable for advancing Apple's Mac Pro line, the company has reportedly been evaluating whether to continue to invest in furthering its full-sized workstation line beyond this year in the face of limited sales.

Read more

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    I don't think its just Apple friends in the retail business say laptops and tablets are 95% of their sales in the computer departments .

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    drop the price and ill buy loads of them.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    I have to agree with Rob. The Mac Pro is a fantastic work horse but obviously geared more toward professionals. It's a big investment which is probably why sales have been lagging.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
    drop the price and ill buy loads of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I have to agree with Rob. The Mac Pro is a fantastic work horse but obviously geared more toward professionals. It's a big investment which is probably why sales have been lagging.
    I'm with you both. I'll buy a few as well if the price does drop.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    I have been promising myself a Mac Pro after the next update, so I hope they go ahead with at least one more release.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Specs:
    2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
    I guess Apple planning to completely abandon the creative professional crowd should have been obvious after trying to pass off iMovie Pro as a new version of Final Cut Pro.

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Maybe, if they built something that was more tailored for doing work and less with aesthetics, they could introduce a model that was more affordable. This tank uses so much aluminum...I would not mind if they used less of it to drop the price of materials and manufacturing. They should also drop the expensive Xeons. The new i7 series is a fine replacement, and can be cheaper.

The problem I notice is that there is no real reason for media users to spend the min $2500 when they can go the h@######sh route with a cheaper and more powerful setup that is easily customizable if need be...sad truth. I actually know a lot of people who do that in design(for Mac Pro alternatives).
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
    Doesn't sound surprising. Many people can't justify the prices of Mac Pros anymore when they can make small sacrifices to get one of the new, more capable iMacs.
    LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
    2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora

Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    I'd be disappointed - personally, I like the flexibility and power the Mac Pro has to offer. If I want an internal blu-ray burner, I can get one. If I want or need multiple internal drives, I can get it (and for a lot less then a thunderbolt array that I don't necessarily need); If I want USB 3, I can get it; if I want a high end graphics card for gaming, I can get it. If I want eSata, I can get it; etc., etc., etc.

I understand that a lot of people use an iMac, Mac Mini, Macbook or Macbook Pro - but abandoning the flexibility of the Mac Pro is IMHO a poor choice. The price of the Mac Pro is what pushes away potential buyers - I know the technology in them is expensive (xeons have never been cheap, even custom built xeon boxes are pricey and the ram they require (ECC Buffered, can't get away from it with xeon) is expensive, the chipsets are pricey, etc.). They probably more need to re-think the design of it (maybe a dual processor i7 design instead of xeons?) to offer it in a better price range like $2500 - 5K max instead of the huge spread of like $2500 - $19K max.

But it seems that Apple wants to focus on consumer level so they will probably phase out the mac pro entirely.
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Specs:
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    Desktop towers at a Mac price are hard to justify. Admittedly - if you buy a supported Windows system they are about the same price - but if you build your own desktop it is half the price for the same components. If I needed the fastest thing out there - I would build a windows/linux desktop - instead of the Mac. That being said, building isn't for everyone - and the aforementioned hack has its own set of quirks - which IMHO negate a lot of the benefits of going to a Mac.

Ultimately, just like everyone else, I've been buying laptops - my last 3 purchases have been laptops - and the only desktop I am considering is a Mac Mini Server for a media/vpn server

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    I'd rather just see them focus that energy on squeezing more horsepower into the iMacs - I think my days of using a tower are done. I'd be curious to know just how many Mac Pros Apple has sold over the last 2 years - it has to be just a tiny fraction of overall Mac sales, I would guess.

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    I'd rather just see them focus that energy on squeezing more horsepower into the iMacs - I think my days of using a tower are done. I'd be curious to know just how many Mac Pros Apple has sold over the last 2 years - it has to be just a tiny fraction of overall Mac sales, I would guess.
    Your logic is fine, but you won't see hardcore graphic designer/media designers using iMac...which is why everyone is having a problem with this news. For media users, the screen in any iMac is not up to par with the quality levels to depict actual colors, which is something that a tower allows to you to do by using your own screen. The Mac Pro was never designed for regular users that could do fine with a Mac Mini, which is what a iMac truly is with the exception of a better gpu.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Thread Information