New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

No More Sharp Edges MacBook Pro 2011

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

Didn't know this about the new MBPs

Source: No More Sharp Edges – MacBook Pro 2011 Models Have Rounded Edges
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macbook-pro-sharp-vs-round-edges.jpg (62.0 KB, 169 views)
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

God bless it! Now I wish I would have waited to upgrade. I hate the edges on this thing.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I wish they had done the same with the new iMacs this year. The mid 2011 models still have the rather sharp edges at the bottom and sides. Although admittedly an iMac is not made to be carried around.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

I'm still not sure which model this article was referring to: the early 2011 revision or the revision that just came out in the last week?
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
I'm still not sure which model this article was referring to: the early 2011 revision or the revision that just came out in the last week?
the ones that just came out in october, my early 2011 MBP has the sharp edges
QUOTE Thanks
ejcameron

ejcameron is on a distinguished road

The only problem I have with the edges is that they get chipped pretty easily. For example, I picked up a plate and accidentally hit my MacBook Pro with it and it took a small chip out

 13" Macbook Pro i5 (11); 32 GB iPod Touch 
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres87 View Post
the ones that just came out in october, my early 2011 MBP has the sharp edges
This model is suddenly looking very attractive... if only I hadn't upgraded the HDD in my 2008 MacBook Pro two months ago!
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
This model is suddenly looking very attractive... if only I hadn't upgraded the HDD in my 2008 MacBook Pro two months ago!
it really does but I've decided to wait until Intel releases new chips next year to upgrade after all my MBP its only a few months old :p
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

I wonder if Apple provides a MBP exchange program for people that have bought them in 2010. Those sharp edges are a law suit waiting to happen ...

Just noticed that the edges on my keyboard are pretty sharp too - I need another keyboard though. Should I wait for the next release and hope this issue will be fixed? Any rumours when the next version of the keyboard is coming out?

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

I'm liking this new look. I know that edges on the old polycarb white unibody MB's chip just as easily.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
God bless it! Now I wish I would have waited to upgrade. I hate the edges on this thing.
Well, after nearly 3 years of dealing with the wrist rests, I finally got around to filing mine down. I used this guy's tutorial:

How to File the Sharp Edge Off a MacBook Pro

...and an existing combination file I had. It took a bit of patience to get the edges consistent, but let me tell you, I wish I would have done this years ago. What a difference... and you really have to look to notice it visually.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple on track to build 5.2M 'iPhone 5S,' 8.4M 'iPhone 5C' units this quarter | Apple to offer 'iPhone 5S' in new gold color and 128GB storage option, insider says »