New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple updates MacBook Pro with larger hard drives, slightly faster processors

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Apple updates MacBook Pro with larger hard drives, slightly faster processors

Quote:

Apple silently updated its MacBook Pro line of notebooks with slightly faster processors and larger hard drives. The update bumps up the processors by a small .1 to .2 GHz (not 1 to 2 GHz, sorry!) and increases hard drive capacity by 180 to 250 GB. The GPUs in the MacBook Pro 15" and 17" lines have also gotten a bump, with the low-end configurations of the 15" now sporting a Radeon 6750M with 512MB of video RAM. Here's how each model has changed:

• 13" MacBook Pro base model has a 2.4 GHz processor and 500 GB hard drive, up from 2.3 GHz and 320 GB.
  • 13" MacBook Pro model has a 2.8 GHz processor and 750 GB hard drive, up from 2.7 GHz and 500 GB.
  • 15" MacBook Pro base model has a 2.2 GHz processor, up from 2.0 GHz. The 500 GB hard drive has not changed. GPU is now a 6750M with 512MB VRAM (up from a 6490M/256).
  • 15" MacBook Pro high-end model has a 2.4 GHz processor, up from 2.2 2.3 GHz. The 750 GB hard drive has not changed. GPU is now a 6770M with 1GB of VRAM.
  • 17" MacBook Pro model has a 2.4 GHz processor, up from 2.2 GHz. The 750 GB hard drive has not changed. GPU is also a 6770M with 1 GB VRAM (up from the 6750M).
Though Apple has improved the specs of these machines, the price remains the same and they are all available for immediate shipping from the US store.

Thanks to everyone who sent this in.

Apple updates MacBook Pro with larger hard drives, slightly faster processors originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source*|*Permalink*|*Email this*|*Comments
Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Oh boy. Me smells a lot of return/exchanges in my immediate future!

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

it would be cool if apple would give all the 2011 MBPs those speed increments with a software update or something I'm pretty sure its possible.
QUOTE Thanks
hislip33

hislip33 is on a distinguished road

Is this the upgrade that all the talk is about for November? And how recent was this?
QUOTE Thanks
fitalic

fitalic is on a distinguished road

Tempted now to buy my first macbook pro 13
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I think I'll be ok sticking with the one I have now...although that 0.1GHz is awfully tempting.
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
I think I'll be ok sticking with the one I have now...although that 0.1GHz is awfully tempting.
I know right lol its A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!! :p
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I would have liked to have see an upgrade to the GPU for the MBP 13" model from the integrated Intel HD 3000 to a discrete GPU. Well, at least the prices are the same for a slightly faster CPU and larger HDD.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
I just bought one like a few months ago. >_>" Think how I feel.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I wish they'd up the specs for the iMacs too. The discounts on the EOL MBP's we're getting are amazing! I'll be getting one for a friend this week since I don't really need another MBP at this point. Though it IS very tempting to be honest. Uuugh, what a dilemma!

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

Quote:
I'll be sticking to what I have until it goes belly-up, and sticks its tongue out!

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Biggest difference is in the base model. 500gb is a tempting upgrade and about time that the capacity becomes more "mainstream".
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres87 View Post
it would be cool if apple would give all the 2011 MBPs those speed increments with a software update or something I'm pretty sure its possible.
That's... not how computer hardware works.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres87 View Post
Software doesn't control/regulate the potential of hardware beyond its limits.

As part of my year long saving for a new Mac, I'm hoping that there are a few revisions between now and next summer that are bigger than this. This small bump isn't a problem but I'd love to see some more substantial changes. I'm sure they'll come but...I'm being impatient. Here's to hoping that quad core processors fit and work in the 13" by next summer (I'm not counting on it).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Software doesn't control/regulate the potential of hardware beyond its limits.

As part of my year long saving for a new Mac, I'm hoping that there are a few revisions between now and next summer that are bigger than this. This small bump isn't a problem but I'd love to see some more substantial changes. I'm sure they'll come but...I'm being impatient. Here's to hoping that quad core processors fit and work in the 13" by next summer (I'm not counting on it).
Oh, they'll fit. Apple is probably going to remove the optical drive to make space.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Steve Jobs vowed to 'destroy' Google Android, called it a 'stolen product' | Apple patents microstrip cellular antenna for future gear »