New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Steve Jobs vowed to 'destroy' Google Android, called it a 'stolen product'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

This was a good read:http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...n_product.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jobs
"I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong," Jobs reportedly said. "I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Source?
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Interesting, especially what Bill gates said about him:
Quote:
Bill Gates found him "weirdly flawed as a human being," saying that he was fascinated by his tendency to be "either in the mode of saying you were **** or trying to seduce you."
Still, some of it seems to have no real evidence behind it...
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Insider
The Associated Press excerpted Jobs' words after obtaining a copy of the book "Steve Jobs," written by noted biographer and former Time executive Walter Isaacson, ahead of its Oct. 24 release date. Though other biographies on the enigmatic entrepreneur have appeared in the past, the book is unique in that it is the only one to be officially authorized by Jobs himself.
You mean that?

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

I don't know about you, but do you see this happening, iOS destroying Android? I mean opinion is one thing, but do the market numbers lie?

 MB White Uni l'09 - OS X 10.9
 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 5th gen iPod touch - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Without Jobs? Nope.

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

The entire Android platform is based on a Java implementation that was internally admitted to require getting a license, and Google's documented decision on that front was more or less "F it, we'll deal with the consequences later if we have to." And the courts still haven't found Google liable. Needless to say, even if it came out that the original touchscreen version of Android was actually a Java port of iOS modified to use the standard four Android buttons, the probability of Android getting destroyed for it would be less than 100% at this point.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

I like the anger shown by Steve Jobs. I think it's the kind of dedication that will push their company to continue making better products without using a penny of that '40 billion' (even more now) of Apple's cash. I don't believe at all that Steve meant he would use every penny of Apple's money to sue. I believe what he meant was he would use every penny in R&D to make the best possible device. I guess we'll just have to read about it more in his biography.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

No, the context made it pretty clear he meant by suing. He didn't even see Android as a legitimate platform to compete against because he perceived much of it as stolen
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
No, the context made it pretty clear he meant by suing. He didn't even see Android as a legitimate platform to compete against because he perceived much of it as stolen
That's based on what the writers of this article wrote. It's not factual. I'm talking about Steve's own quoted statement. If you read other online articles about this same topic, they all say something different, but state the same quote! Steve Jobs cut all ties with lawsuits a long while before his death, but he still continued working/aiding on with the new iphone(?) till the day before his passing. Steve Jobs also made that statement in '10...he would have done something already if he was that ready to go 'thermonuclear.' He wasn't interested in the money, or anything Google could offer. They won't budge, so he'll be the one doing the changes.

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
That's based on what the writers of this article wrote. It's not factual. I'm talking about Steve's own quoted statement. If you read other online articles about this same topic, they all say something different, but state the same quote! Steve Jobs cut all ties with lawsuits a long while before his death, but he still continued working/aiding on with the new iphone(?) till the day before his passing. Steve Jobs also made that statement in '10...he would have done something already if he was that ready to go 'thermonuclear.' He wasn't interested in the money, or anything Google could offer. They won't budge, so he'll be the one doing the changes.
No, that's based on the sweeping legal actions Apple has taken against Android smartphone manufacturers in recent years as well as the well-documented bad blood between Steve Jobs and Eric Schmidt over Android developments that happened after Schmidt had stayed on Apple's board for arguably too long. The fact cancer caught up with Jobs before he could go "thermonuclear" doesn't make your argument any more compelling.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

We don't have to agree. The few lawsuits against Android vendors realistically does not mean much. It could have happened regardless. This is especially true with new Android phones being designed completely "fresh," like the Galaxy Nexus. Apple won't have a chance against that. Apple doesn't need lawsuits to destroy Android. That would probably hurt themselves more. With all the new patents awarded to Apple, along with the 2000+ they purchased, they have many patents to carry forward to the new phone to limit what 'innovation' is possibly carried over to Android OS developers. Android doesn't have 1 solid base OS to run on. Apple can win one lawsuit against them, and Android will just take another turn to alter the OS, UI, and such. As long as Android remains free, and is holding continues a peaceful resolution with Java, Apple will never be able to stop the use of Android phones.

QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

So Android copied iOS?

Amazing how Android managed to copy the pull-down Notification area years before Apple revealed it. They even managed to copy the ability to setup a new phone without needing to plug it into a computer years before Apple revealed the idea. Unless of course, Android actually thought of both of those first

Not forgetting that Palm devices had touch screens and Application icons with a very similar appearance to those now on both Android and iOS devices years before either of them came along. Doesn't that mean that both Apple and Google copied Palm?

Not to mention that the GUI interface on all modern computers (Macs, Windows and Linux) was based on the experimental work being carried out at the time by Xerox at PARC.

I am not a patents lawyer but both the computer GUI and the smartphone interface now seem so natural that it is hard to see how else they could be achieved. The devil of course is in the detail - i.e. exactly how each OS makes the system work.

I think in the long run everyone loses with all this legal action.

Competition is a matter of making the best, so everyone will buy your product rather than anyone else's, not suing anyone else who tries to compete with you
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
Not forgetting that Palm devices had touch screens and Application icons with a very similar appearance to those now on both Android and iOS devices years before either of them came along. Doesn't that mean that both Apple and Google copied Palm?
No! Do some research on capacitive vs resistive touch screens. The LG Prada and iPhone(with only the iPhone being successful) paved the way for the touch screen phones we know of today. Also, the majority of 'apps' on the Palm smartphones, in years 2007 and older, were from programs that Palm paid to use their image(Microsoft office/explorer/media player/google search/ and such). Very few programs, and I mean programs because I never remember them calling their programs as 'apps,' were created by Palm themselves. Do you remember what the Palm GUI from before the iPhone/Google Android phones came out? Palm wasn't that nice when it came to closely copying others' ideas.

Quote:
Not to mention that the GUI interface on all modern computers (Macs, Windows and Linux) was based on the experimental work being carried out at the time by Xerox at PARC.
No one is talking about PC GUI here. To this point, though, Apple worked out deals with Xerox on their GUI. Then, Microsoft did an underhand negotiation with Apple on MSFT's GUI.

QUOTE Thanks
Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen is on a distinguished road

Historically companies the size Apple and Google tend to self destruct or implode after reaching a certain size. There are a few companies out there who haven’t but most large companies go through a cycle of getting too big to manage (as opposed to the ridiculous too big to fail  )
I remember the day when Sony owned the Media (movies and t.v, music) owned the delivery system(t.v., music players, walkman, stereos, etc) and owned the creators of the media….Now pretty much, people only know them as the company that makes the PS3.
I think Apple and Google really need to stay focused on what they think the customers will want in the future, instead of how they can bring each other down.
While Apple and Google have been fighting about multi touch screen (and a multitude of other patents), the Windows Kinetics team has developed (and yes it does already exist in another fashion) a multi- touch anywhere device which is really pretty darn cool.
When the two of them spend all their time fighting each other, it just allows other companies time to keep creating new technologies, which could, in the end, surpass them both.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Google talks Android 4.0, slams iOS and WP7 design | Apple updates MacBook Pro with larger hard drives, slightly faster processors »