New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

New Powerbooks and Powermacs after all?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I sure hope so, now that would be smooth
QUOTE Thanks
iaminvincible

iaminvincible is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
I sure hope so, now that would be smooth

This is one of the places I read it at:
http://news.com.com/Apple+planning+a...html?tag=st_lh

An apple a day keeps the doctor away...
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

As long as there's no FrontRow and it doesn't cost extra battery power, sounds great. I had an old Vaio with a built-in camera about five or six years ago, and that was really cool, but I never used it. I guess I'll just need to get some friends with webcams.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
ghostrida

to me it would seem that in order to maintain the price range of the current DP PowerMacs, Apple would have to release single dual-core chip PowerMacs in addition to the double dual-core (quad) setup. Otherwise they would totally lose the current price range market. There is no way a dual core is equivalant to a single core in price, we are talking about new chips here right?
QUOTE Thanks
lonerider

lonerider will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrida
to me it would seem that in order to maintain the price range of the current DP PowerMacs, Apple would have to release single dual-core chip PowerMacs in addition to the double dual-core (quad) setup. Otherwise they would totally lose the current price range market. There is no way a dual core is equivalant to a single core in price, we are talking about new chips here right?

I basically agree with this, and I suspect we are in for a letdown.

As I posted earlier, a dual processor system is generally faster than a single dual core box.

The biggest letdown I can see is having the two lower end powermacs replaced with single dual core chips. That would have nothing to do with improving performance but rather nudinging Apple's margins higher. Even if they had pci-e, we're not talking about improving performance much. Sadly, they will probably dupe a lot of people into thinking a single dual core box is better than a dual single core box.

At the price points they are selling powermacs at, I would really expect to see a dual 2.3ghz single core at the bottom, dual 2.7ghz in the middle, and perhaps a dual-dual core 2.5ghz box. All of them should be updated to pci-e with the possible exception of the bottom line dual 2.3.

But my sinking suspicion is that they are going to stick us with single dual core boxes, which would really suck.
QUOTE Thanks
MadSkillzMan

MadSkillzMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual G5 powermac

cmon ditching x86 :mac:

new vid 8/8/05
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider
That's not really true - depends on what you're doing.

Two individual CPUs have two paths to memory. A dual core chip means each individual core has to share the same bus to memory.
It really does depend on what you're doing. The G5 and Opteron are very different in this regard. Apple's G5 systems have both CPUs connected to a system controller, which in turn connects to memory. With the Opteron, each single-core CPU has its own memory controller.

Since the G5 doesn't have a memory controller, and the link to memory through the system controller is slow (compared to the G5's bus speed) the two chips share their caches. With single-core G5s, this cache-sharing takes place over the frontside bus (which runs at half the CPU speed.) With a dual-core G5, both chips can access each other's cache at full speed. Whether this will make a noticeable difference is anyone's guess.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cheap RAM: am I missing something? | New iMAC »