New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple announces the iPhone 4S

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Apple announces the iPhone 4S

Quote:
Apple has announced the next-generation iPhone, the iPhone 4S. Although externally it appears identical to the iPhone 4, internally it's seen many changes. It includes the same dual-core A5 processor that debuted in the iPad 2. Its graphics processor, which is also dual-core, provides up to 7 times the graphical performance of the iPhone 4's A4 chip.

The iPhone 4S has improved battery life over its predecessor, and it now allows for 8 hours 3G talktime, 14 hours 2G talktime, and 6 hours of 3G web browsing.

The iPhone 4S's wireless system has also been tweaked; the handset will now intelligently switch between antennas for optimal performance. This not only improves signal reliability, it also doubles the theoretical maximum speed from 7.2 Mbps on the iPhone 4 to 14.4 Mbps on the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4S is also now a true "world phone" with integrated chipsets for both GSM and CDMA networks. This will simplify Apple's product lineup and consumer buying decisions, as there will be only one "model" of iPhone 4S that should work on virtually any carrier in the world.

The iPhone 4S has a much-improved 8 megapixel camera that can shoot up to 3264 x 2448 images. Its backside-illuminated sensor allows it to capture 73 percent more light per pixel than the iPhone 4, and a five-element lens leads to photos that are up to 30 percent sharper than those on the iPhone 4. A new signal processor enables face detection and 26 percent better white balance. The camera also works much faster than on previous models; Apple claims it takes only 1.1 seconds to take the first photo, with subsequent shots having a delay of only half a second. The improved camera also features true 1080p HD video recording and video stabilization, a first for the iPhone.

Like the iPad 2, the iPhone 4 can now mirror its screen via AirPlay or a cable connected to the dock.

Perhaps the most anticipated feature of the iPhone 4S is its support for Siri, an "intelligent assistant" that enables recognition of voice queries and commands. We have further information on Siri itself available in a standalone post.

Apple announces the iPhone 4S originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:21:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source*|*Permalink*|*Email this*|*Comments
Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Had a strong feeling this was going to happen. Glad I'm holding out for next year's iPhone offering. That's when things are really going to get good.

Siri does look pretty cool, though. And how about that camera on the 4s? Very nice.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

The update and the new features seems nice. Not sure if it's a big enough incentive for me to upgrade from my first gen iPhone though. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

It took this long to just upgrade to a 4S? Not what I'd hope for

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

You'll forgive me for laughing at this but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple.com
Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.apple.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.355700cc.1317754812.a4ff982

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post

That one startled me for a moment as well
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Quote:
Not sure that I have ever seen that happen... a crawl maybe, but never seen an Apple event bring down their site. Their site has always been pretty stable during these times.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
Not sure that I have ever seen that happen... a crawl maybe, but never seen an Apple event bring down their site.
Someone messed up their load sharing.. at least so it would appear. It's not load driven I would hazard a guess.. but configuration. Since well, just prior to getting this.. the 4s wasn't on their site

mike
QUOTE Thanks
a.j.c.

a.j.c. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: soon to be another iMac owner

any pre-ordering info?
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

They are updating the site with details of all the wonderful new features and devices.......

.......well, they might be if there were any
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.j.c. View Post
any pre-ordering info?
Oct 7th

Deliver Oct 14th.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
a.j.c.

Quote:
Oct 7th

Deliver Oct 14th.
thanks so much! just read it
QUOTE Thanks
a.j.c.

so i thought siri was going to be built into the new ios but its actually built into the phone?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
They are updating the site with details of all the wonderful new features and devices.......

.......well, they might be if there were any
So the 4s has no new updates? I swear I heard many in the keynote.

If you expected Sprint 4g, that was a rumor. Apple never promised that. If people would just wait for an event and not listen to the Rumor sites, there would be a lot less unhappy people. Just a note and to myself also.

IOS5 will also rock.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
I am getting the same thing! GRRRRRRRRR! Maybe Samsung hacked their servers to get back at Apple for stopping their tablet in some countries! Grin

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.apple.com/" on this server.
Reference #18.2b1deb3f.1317757211.2b4eb58e
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AT&T breaks record: 200,000 pre-orders for iPhone 4S in 12 hours | Sony Rumored To Be Looking For Steve Jobs Movie Rights »