New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

"App Rentals" Coming to iOS?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

"App Rentals" Coming to iOS?

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Sounds like a pretty good idea.
...as long as apps still offer the limited-function "free" version too. Sometimes that's all I want and I'll play it again months later.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Sounds like rentals would replace free, but that's just my impression

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

The problem being that nobody really knows how it would work or what the "rental" would be... Paid, free, or otherwise.

Quite frankly, as a developer, I would rather not "give my App away" for free, even for a limited time use. I put a lot of work in developing it, it's a great product, and I want end users to purchase it and get a lot of use out of it.
QUOTE Thanks
Geesix

Geesix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stormin View Post
The problem being that nobody really knows how it would work or what the "rental" would be... Paid, free, or otherwise.

Quite frankly, as a developer, I would rather not "give my App away" for free, even for a limited time use. I put a lot of work in developing it, it's a great product, and I want end users to purchase it and get a lot of use out of it.
The problem is, not all apps are great products a lot of apps are crappy. I for one do not want to rent a crappy app. I think the way they have it now is good, why fix it if its not broken? Just my 2.
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

^ I think rentals are a good idea, especially for more expensive programs. There have been one or two occasions in the last year when I would have loved to use LogMeIn Fusion. But I'm not going to fork over $30 for something used so infrequently. But I might have ponied up a few bucks for each of the days when I needed it.

That said, I agree with others here that this new option shouldn't necessarily come at the elimination of the free model. I actually think the two will coexist nicely, really, as different companies will use different models depending on their markets.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

From the users' point of view, the one thing missing with Apple Apps compared with Android ones is you can't get a refund if you don't like the App or if it doesn't do what you wanted - or even if it doesn't work.

A 'free' version of the App helps with that - but of course the 'free' one will be a cut-down version, which may not have the feature you want to test.

Perhaps a 'rental' of the full version might overcome this. You get the full version and try it out. If it does what you want then buy the full version.

On the other hand, it is not as if we are talking of hugely expensive software, like that on Windows systems. If the App cost a couple of pounds and the description looks as if it might do what you want, then give it a try. Even having said that, the Android Market lets you buy an App for a similar sum and still get a refund if you delete it from your system within a short time - so you really can try an App without risk.

If the App costs £1.99 to buy, how much would it cost to rent? I suppose this would add up over time but it might seem a lot of technical overhead for very tiny amounts. That sort of comment might explain why I am not as rich as Apple of course
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stormin View Post

While YOU think that your app is great, your point of view is obviously highly biased. Others may not agree that your app is great. But if you really stand behind your work, it should be trivial for you to release an app for free for a very limited time in order to have people try it out. Like for say, 2 days? If people really do find it useful, and can see getting a ton of use out of it, then they'll buy it.

I personally never buy apps unless I read tons of good reviews first. And even then, I'm never truly sure. Take Apple's Pages for instance. Plenty of people love it, but it's not really a very good app if what you're looking to do is export to an MS Word document. The formatting gets completely messed up, so I'm not even sure of why they'd even introduce the option to export to a "Word" document in the first place if it's half baked. That's just a small example, and I could go on but I hope you get my point.

If one could get their money back, it would be a totally different ballgame.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Geesix

Geesix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikarnov View Post
^ I think rentals are a good idea, especially for more expensive programs. There have been one or two occasions in the last year when I would have loved to use LogMeIn Fusion. But I'm not going to fork over $30 for something used so infrequently. But I might have ponied up a few bucks for each of the days when I needed it.

That said, I agree with others here that this new option shouldn't necessarily come at the elimination of the free model. I actually think the two will coexist nicely, really, as different companies will use different models depending on their markets.
I can see where your coming from, it does make sense for the high end apps.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I only like this rental idea if it is implemented with pricier apps. There's NO way rentals will replace free apps because, believe it or not, there are people who don't buy apps that cost more than $0.00. Renting isn't a term associated with borrowing something without some form of payment or exchange of personal data(?)

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Sends Official Invitations to iPhone Event Oct 4th | New iPhone will have 1GB of RAM, dual-mode chip, report says »