New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple may discontinue the iPod shuffle and classic

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Apple may discontinue the iPod shuffle and classic

We've been sitting on a tip for a while until things came into greater focus, but now that the speculation meter has exploded (see this CNet story), it's a good time to tell you all what we've heard. It seems that the "product transition" Apple mentioned on the last earnings call could very well be within the iPod line. Specifically, if you want to buy an iPod shuffle or iPod classic from Apple, you should do it sooner rather than later. We've heard those two iPods are getting the axe this year.

It makes a lot of sense, but only partly due to the numbers CNet mentions. The classic is a holdover from 10 years of iPod existence, bearing many similarities to the original iPod. The shuffle is basically the same form factor as the nano, minus a screen. The classic uses a platter-based hard drive, while Apple is largely transitioning to flash-based memory solutions. The shuffle's lack of a screen has been an issue since it first appeared as a memory stick with music playback functions. If Apple killed these off, all of its iPods would have touchscreens, and something tells me it wants it that way.

Obviously we can't divulge our source, but it is NOT an analyst. Most of us listen to analyst predictions with the proverbial grain of salt (or bag of salt). We feel pretty confident that Apple will soon discontinue the shuffle and classic, and we see few changes coming for the iPod touch -- unless you're super excited about it being available in white. The nano will then become Apple's lowest-end iPod (we've heard nothing about a price drop, however) and the iPod touch will remain a premium iPod with its current form factor intact.

Apple may discontinue the iPod shuffle and classic originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source | Permalink | Email this | Comments

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Looks like I need to pick up another couple Shuffles then.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

Hopefully at a discount!
QUOTE Thanks
albert2k

albert2k is on a distinguished road

OK, then I'm going to keep my classic, this will be a collector item in the next 50 years, LOL.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

This is unfortunate news. I don't know a single person that didn't think the iPod nano redesign with a touchscreen was a huge mistake. As nice as a touchscreen interface is for app-drive devices like the iPod Touch and iPhone, it's impractical and less functional than the old click wheel for a pure media player, particularly for the sort of person that wants to control it while it's strapped to them or in a pocket while doing exercise of some sort. If the Classic and Shuffle are truly doomed, I hope Apple at least restores the nano to its former glory.
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Time to pick up another Classic or two... I don't want a 64GB touchscreen system for $400 when I can get 160GB of storage for movies, music, and personal files, for $250.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I have several Nano versions and several Shuffles, including the one without controls. They have their pros and cons, but I tend to use the Shuffles a lot more often than the Nanos.

I don't have the latest Nano yet. Tempted but somehow there seems little point. The screen is too small to be of much use and without that it is not really that different than the latest Shuffle
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

I really like the iPod classic, and the older Nano with the click wheel, I was never a fan of touch screening in the first place. Sure, it's alright on the iPhone and iPad, but the new Nano's tiny screen makes it look very impractical.

That being said, I also am a tad disappointed that the shuffle might get the ax. It seems perfect for people who only want a small music player, and it has a cheap price (for Apple anyway) of only $49.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
particularly for the sort of person that wants to control it while it's strapped to them or in a pocket while doing exercise of some sort..
I've had my shuffle turn up with a dead battery and be 'stuck' with my iPhone on a couple rides... It's so bad trying to control the thing on a bike that I'll simply skip it. Which really sucks on long climbs. Ohhhh and the shake to shuffle thing? Well, a bump'll set it off

mike
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Just got the wife a Shuffle for her birthday and we still use a 5.5 gen 30gb iPod so I might have to pick up a classic.
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

j0nb0y32 is a jewel in the roughj0nb0y32 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

give it a couple of years and the iPod will be dead, gone.....forever.
mark my words ladies and gentlemen...
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
I've had my shuffle turn up with a dead battery and be 'stuck' with my iPhone on a couple rides... It's so bad trying to control the thing on a bike that I'll simply skip it. Which really sucks on long climbs. Ohhhh and the shake to shuffle thing? Well, a bump'll set it off
As I said in the post, I was referring to the traditional click wheel controls found on the iPod classic and previous versions of the iPod nano. I never really got the market for the shuffle. Even for its supposed target demographic, I feel like the nano (not current incarnation) has always been a better option.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
As I said in the post, I was referring to the traditional click wheel controls found on the iPod classic and previous versions of the iPod nano. I never really got the market for the shuffle. Even for its supposed target demographic, I feel like the nano (not current incarnation) has always been a better option.
I prefer the shuffle, I really don't need or want to see what's playing.. the iPod itself is stuffed into a jersey pocket. I just need a UI that I can use without looking at it, so by feel. Even a click wheel doesn't do this well.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
I prefer the shuffle, I really don't need or want to see what's playing.. the iPod itself is stuffed into a jersey pocket. I just need a UI that I can use without looking at it, so by feel. Even a click wheel doesn't do this well.
It still does it less badly than a touchscreen does.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

^ That was going to be all for my post, but my message was too short.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Steve Jobs 'expected' to appear at Apple's iPhone 5 event - report | Apple Sends Official Invitations to iPhone Event Oct 4th »