New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple may discontinue the iPod shuffle and classic

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I'd be really disappointed if they discontinued the iPod Classic. It's the only iPod that can hold my entire music library. I can't be the only one who needs or wants a dedicated music player. People keep saying I can just store music in the cloud but I don't want to be at the mercy of an internet or cell phone connection to listen to my own music. The whole point of a music player is to be able to listen to my music anywhere, any time.

I will definitely buy at least one extra Classic if they stop making them.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
It still does it less badly than a touchscreen does.
True, but with the current shuffle UI, at least I can feel the buttons. Touchscreen, on a bike at least, is just a recipe for disaster. Like I said, I'll invest in 2 or 3 more shortly and leave them NIB until I need them

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I just (last evening) purchased four Shuffles. I had to exchange one of them this morning because it was DOA (bad battery). If you buy some Shuffles to keep for later on, be sure to check them first to see if they'll charge up. Here in the Fort Worth area they're already in short supply. I had to call around to several Best Buy stores to find them in stock and with the right color.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

I still have my 30 GB 5th gen iPod video. I have roughly 2k songs...and that keeps growing every year...so eventually...I'm going to have to find a different way for music if Apple no longer supports large music/media libraries through physical storage. (Though there is iCloud...)

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
1yankeesfan

1yankeesfan is on a distinguished road

So I'm in need of a new iPod Classic. How soon should I run out and get one?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

As fast as you would run after a free NY Yankee's world series ticket.

Seriously, as I stated above the Shuffles are in short supply here in the Fort Worth area. Of course they're the most inexpensive of all the iPod line. Don't know about the Classic since they cost much more.
QUOTE Thanks
macuser1232

macuser1232 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram

i hate those new ipods that are really small!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
Hate is a strong word but a lot of people find them very useful
as I and as stated guess I will be getting a classic before they are gone if Apple makes the decision to cancel.
QUOTE Thanks
macuser1232

macuser1232 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Hate is a strong word but a lot of people find them very useful
as I and as stated guess I will be getting a classic before they are gone if Apple makes the decision to cancel.
whatever
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
They're really useful for some of us. I have several with different playlists for going to the gym. Under fifty bucks for something that can be clipped to my shirt, play **** near a days worth of music, weighs less than a few quarters, and navigated without looking at it...

Makes me with that I had bought more of them when Amazon had them on their ridiculous sale a few months ago. At $37 I should have gotten a half dozen of them just in case.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I really like my shuffle, it can get wet, be dropped and ran over with a car and still work. I think that they need to keep them in production.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

iPod Classics are unreliable as sin. HDDs in a portable music system ain't exactly the best combination.

Shuffles are low capacity and offer poor control of playback. New Nano's do the same thing but better.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I have several of the newer Nano iPods and dislike them. The display is too small for a touch screen device for one thing, and the battery has a short life before it needs to be recharged. I also have a Nano from the previous generation which in my opinion is much superior.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Meh @ the new Nano hate. I love mine:

Watch, music, pedometer, podcasts... come on guys, more love for the lil' guy!

As for the classics going out, that's bad news IMO. I'll probably buy one and keep a few extra 1.8" hard drives handy and then ROCKbox it. RIP HDD based Mp3 players.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

It'd be great.. for running. Riding? It's a pain in the...

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Steve Jobs 'expected' to appear at Apple's iPhone 5 event - report | Apple Sends Official Invitations to iPhone Event Oct 4th »