Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post New Yorker architecture critic harsh on Apple 'spaceship'
    New Yorker architecture critic harsh on Apple 'spaceship'

New Yorker architecture critic Paul Goldberger has written a harsh critique of Apple's forthcoming "spaceship" campus, designed by Foster + Partners. The writer describes the building as a "gigantic donut," and calls it "troubling, maybe even a bit scary," in part because it lacks the functionality of the devices Apple makes. "A building is also a tool, but of a very different sort," Goldberger says. "In architecture, scale -- the size of various parts of a building in proportion to one another and to the size of human beings -- counts for a lot....

Read more

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    The Apple Donut! iDonut!!

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    It sounds like Mr. Goldberger is suffering from a case of "Sour Grapes" envy, probably wishing he was the architect that Apple hired to design the new Spaceship building.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Charlie do not let him see the Pentagon!!
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    It sounds like Mr. Goldberger is suffering from a case of "Sour Grapes" envy, probably wishing he was the architect that Apple hired to design the new Spaceship building.
    That is exactly what I was thinking.

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    I'm not afraid of UFO's you wuss! Bring it on!!!
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Specs:
    2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I'd give a man who has won a Pulitzer Prize for Distinguished Criticism and has written arguably the most prominent urban architecture column in the world for the last 14 years a little more credit than that... especially considering he doesn't design buildings.

Specs:
    Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    One of the benefits of the Pentagon building is a person can walk from any point in the building to another in less than seven minutes. I can see a similar claim once the new Apple campus is completed.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
    I'd give a man who has won a Pulitzer Prize for Distinguished Criticism and has written arguably the most prominent urban architecture column in the world for the last 14 years a little more credit than that... especially considering he doesn't design buildings.
    Sounds like the problem with our society... We idolize people who can criticize, but don't actually do the work themselves.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    That's the beauty of Architecture, it is very subjective and everyone has a point of view.

Maybe he is a bit annoyed that it was design by a british firm, who knows.

I think it looks great. In a way similar to the apple brand, beautifully refined on the outside (slender steel and glass panels, double stacked offices so that everyone has a view, central circulation space which together guard the secret and in this case, the garden, on the inside, unless you fly to work that is, which not many people do.

apple all over

J

Specs:
    2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
    Quote Originally Posted by RONE View Post
    Sounds like the problem with our society... We idolize people who can criticize, but don't actually do the work themselves.
    "Idolize" is a strong word. I'd be surprised if anyone in this thread other than the OP had even heard of him prior to him daring to criticize something Apple paid for. He is quite respected in the field, enough so to have been brought in as an advisor on projects with legitimate cultural influence. I'll just leave this here for your later perusal if you'd like. The bottom line is that knee-jerk assuming someone in the news (and not just this guy, as I've seen this happen multiple times on this forum) not singing praises for Apple is a hack or has unsavory motives is completely uncalled for.

Personally, I think his assessment is technically correct, but I don't think Apple is trying to cater to the architecturally obsessed with the design of this building.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I'd be surprised if anyone in this thread other than the OP had even heard of him prior to him daring to criticize something Apple paid for.
    If the News Bot has "heard of him" before today, I think we have bigger issues.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    I'm not the one that chose the News Bot's current name >.>

Specs:
    "Idolize" is a strong word. I'd be surprised if anyone in this thread other than the OP had even heard of him prior to him daring to criticize something Apple paid for. He is quite respected in the field, enough so to have been brought in as an advisor on projects with legitimate cultural influence. I'll just leave this here for your later perusal if you'd like. The bottom line is that knee-jerk assuming someone in the news (and not just this guy, as I've seen this happen multiple times on this forum) not singing praises for Apple is a hack or has unsavory motives is completely uncalled for.
    Nope, never heard of him. But I really couldn't care less if he likes Apple's design or not. I just hate people who build their career by being a critic and not actually doing the work themselves. I read the bio you linked and looked at his Wikipedia page, neither of which have hanged my opinion of him. It's easy to complain about something; It's hard to do it right.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    I think the 1st comment in 'Skynets' link somes it up

Nonsense writes
    An Architecture critic, and being paid as such, has to write something
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information