New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

New iPhone will have 1GB of RAM, dual-mode chip, report says

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
You must have some very tiny or tight pockets.
it's probably just my pants have too much of ME in them.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

I've owned a BB Storm for 3 years and am interested in the new iPhone 5 only if the screen size is about the same as the current Droid's I've played with. I've played with the current iPhone 4 and didn't experience any issues with its performance etc so none of that matters to me.

Guess we'll know for sure in a week or so.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
Guess we'll know for sure in a week or so.

Tom
...3 days from now.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
it's probably just my pants have too much of ME in them.
Lol. Ok, your situation is officially understood now.
QUOTE Thanks
wootish

wootish is on a distinguished road

With things like iCloud, do we still need so much space on the iPhone? I guess this is more of a bragging right for Apple against competition rather than any serious feature-add.
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootish View Post
With things like iCloud, do we still need so much space on the iPhone? I guess this is more of a bragging right for Apple against competition rather than any serious feature-add.
Physical memory is still a big deal. I use my phone as a music player every time I take a trip for work or for fun. Having to redownload everything on it OTA wouldn't be an option on a plane, or taking the subway.

Then you have applications, which take up a bunch of memory as well, and they aren't as easy to redownload every time you need them.

The race for more GB's is still very much on... Though in the future it may be less important.
QUOTE Thanks
paranoia

paranoia is on a distinguished road

I also would like a larger screen,and voice control,but I hope its the 5 not 4S,the extra power also is nice.but we will all know in a couple of days.

God Bless You !!
QUOTE Thanks
Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootish View Post
For awhile the amount of memory needed was going away, but then the cell phone carriers started to limit internet usage, or charge a premium for it. So now people are going back to needing large storage space or risk going over the broadband limit and getting charged a lot more money.

Now you see a lot of smart phones coming out (or already out) able to hold a minimum of 16 gigs, with a lot of other phones allowing micro sd cards for another 32 gigs.
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

And tomorrow we may see a 64GB iPhone...
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Oh boy!! 4 hours away! I've learned to accept that there might not be an iphone5, but I still hope today doesn't disappoint.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
Oh boy!! 4 hours away! I've learned to accept that there might not be an iphone5, but I still hope today doesn't disappoint.
From the rumors that are floating around, the 4S will replace the old 3GS as the low-cost version, likely using the same case and screen but with the more powerful A5 chip. The 5 will be introduced with a different case, upgraded specs and a larger screen. The big question mark for me is whether the 5 will have 4G. I have a feeling that won't happen, but I'm holding out hope because if it doesn't, I think Apple's marketshare will continue to decline.

Not sure if you've read much about it, but the latest release of Windows Phone '07 just came out (Mango) and it looks very solid, pretty much matching Android and iOS feature-for-feature and surpassing both in some ways. It's a little late to the market (obviously), but with Nokia as a hardware partner, Microsoft has a leg up this time around. Apple really needs a home run with the iPhone 5 as the competition isn't letting up.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
From the rumors that are floating around, the 4S will replace the old 3GS as the low-cost version, likely using the same case and screen but with the more powerful A5 chip. The 5 will be introduced with a different case, upgraded specs and a larger screen. The big question mark for me is whether the 5 will have 4G. I have a feeling that won't happen, but I'm holding out hope because if it doesn't, I think Apple's marketshare will continue to decline.

Not sure if you've read much about it, but the latest release of Windows Phone '07 just came out (Mango) and it looks very solid, pretty much matching Android and iOS feature-for-feature and surpassing both in some ways. It's a little late to the market (obviously), but with Nokia as a hardware partner, Microsoft has a leg up this time around. Apple really needs a home run with the iPhone 5 as the competition isn't letting up.
I actually haven't read any *new* rumors since 2 days ago.
Isn't Mango a 7.5 release, as in Windows Phone 7.5?.
I want to see it, but actually have no interest in it because I don't want to move away from what I have grown accustomed to...I don't believe it's a change I want to go through. I like that all my stuff works together seamlessly.

My mom somehow broke her phone texting though(a regular samsung flip phone that can't beat a potato at tacking pictures!). She's been looking for something new, and she doesn't need an iPhone for any logical reason. She's been looking at some unlocked HTC phones. Might just have to look at a Mango for her. lol

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

NumberSix is on a distinguished road

I am much more excited at the potential release today of iOS 5 (hopefully very soon if not today) than a new phone

I guess I'm the only one?
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
I am much more excited at the potential release today of iOS 5 (hopefully very soon if not today) than a new phone

I guess I'm the only one?
Nope, you're not. I'm excited for all the new features coming with iCloud. Should make all of our digital needs a lot more streamlined, easier to manage (in theory). Over the air updates, synching etc. ? Can't wait for that!

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
I actually haven't read any *new* rumors since 2 days ago.
Isn't Mango a 7.5 release, as in Windows Phone 7.5?.
Not sure that the '7' in WP7 really refers to the software version, as much as it was a name tag that was supposed to evoke the kind of positive reception Windows 7 has/had with consumers. Really the software is more like v1.5.

Quote:
I want to see it, but actually have no interest in it because I don't want to move away from what I have grown accustomed to...I don't believe it's a change I want to go through. I like that all my stuff works together seamlessly.
No doubt. Having slummed it with Android and seeing how annoying simple things like syncing could be, I'm not sure that I'm real open to changing platforms. BUT, I do like what I see with the UI paradigm in WP7 and the latest reviews from Ars Technica are really quite good and intriguing.

I really brought it up just to comment on the playing field at this point. This isn't 2008.... the competition has really come a long way in a short time. Sheer number of apps is no longer the selling point it once was and the iOS interface is growing stale. So, if the hardware isn't very aggressive, this could be detrimental to iPhone adoption and retention.

Quote:
My mom somehow broke her phone texting though(a regular samsung flip phone that can't beat a potato at tacking pictures!). She's been looking for something new, and she doesn't need an iPhone for any logical reason. She's been looking at some unlocked HTC phones. Might just have to look at a Mango for her. lol
If she's used to texting on a real keyboard and doesn't need a smartphone, she's probably be happier with a cheap feature phone.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "App Rentals" Coming to iOS? | Family and Friends allows location sharing with other iPhone users »