New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

US blocks AT&T and T-Mobile deal

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

US blocks AT&T and T-Mobile deal

The combined mobile phone company would have knocked Verizon Wireless off the top spot in the US.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

Great move! It was kind of obvious that something like this would happen, but I was still hoping that AT&T would get kicked for it. I just hope that everything goes through with the blocking.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree. We use T-Mobile and have three phones on the account. Generally their prices are below what AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint charge for the same usage and allotted calling minutes.

I wasn't happy about the Ma Bell - T-Mobile buyout at all.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

If anything, we need more mobile phone carriers in the U.S. Increase competition, lower prices, (and in a perfect world, eliminate contracts). Hey, a guy can dream.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
sjwilson3821

sjwilson3821 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
If anything, we need more mobile phone carriers in the U.S. Increase competition, lower prices, (and in a perfect world, eliminate contracts). Hey, a guy can dream.
Im right there with you on this one ^ however contracts being a thing of the past should be going on now.

27 inch iMac quad core 2.8ghz i5 8G ram 2TB internal HDD and ATI RadeonHD 5750 with 1G VRAM
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwilson3821 View Post
Im right there with you on this one ^ however contracts being a thing of the past should be going on now.
From my little experience, as well as others' vast experiences, contract services actually tend to provide the best customer experience/coverage. And because companies don't have a guaranteed source of income from no-contract services, they are slow to better their service.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
From my little experience, as well as others' vast experiences, contract services actually tend to provide the best customer experience/coverage. And because companies don't have a guaranteed source of income from no-contract services, they are slow to better their service.

This most definitely is NOT true when talking about service outside of the U.S. In fact, I have never had better service and coverage than when I was living in EU with my Jailbroken and unlocked iPhone. People there have several phones because it's so cheap to do so. One for work, one for family, and one for each girlfriend! (I'm not even kidding)

Granted, most of us don't want to carry several phones, but I'm merely pointing out the fact that the plans and prices are so convenient... everybody is happy, including the telco's.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
This most definitely is NOT true when talking about service outside of the U.S. In fact, I have never had better service and coverage than when I was living in EU with my Jailbroken and unlocked iPhone. People there have several phones because it's so cheap to do so. One for work, one for family, and one for each girlfriend! (I'm not even kidding)

Granted, most of us don't want to carry several phones, but I'm merely pointing out the fact that the plans and prices are so convenient... everybody is happy, including the telco's.

Doug
I don't know about outside the US. I'm talking about the services offered here by companies who only do no-contract plans. With current here in the US, the service is not the best, but is a trade of for usually cheaper prices, as well as not having a contract.

QUOTE Thanks
sjwilson3821

Its official, Im moving to the UK. This was the final straw. They have everything over there. lol

27 inch iMac quad core 2.8ghz i5 8G ram 2TB internal HDD and ATI RadeonHD 5750 with 1G VRAM
QUOTE Thanks
NVash

NVash will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Oh? I must respectfully disagree. I only deal with contracts because thats how to get the phone but every single time Ive gotten one the company has found some way to mess me up. Im tired of contracts and if I could get the iPhone with perfect service on something like Cricket or BootstMobile Id leave in a minute. And this is for all of them, T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, Ive been to all of them. Sure, customer service is great right up until you have a problem with the phone. Then youre basically stuck because youre in the contract. They keep trying to send refurbished phones or use methods that everyone knows wont work over the phone to troubleshoot, but how dare you even ask for a new one. Whether it be your own phone or even if youre willing to foot the bill for a new one, unless youre paying full price of over $500 forget it. And what person would pay over $500 for a phone over and over again whenever something goes wrong? Things go wrong too darn often on phones nowadays to even justify such a thing. If they worked right and actually lasted itd make more sense but some people are having troubles making some phones last a year. For the money people pay, contract or not, that should be downright unacceptable. And this new thing about 2 year contract or Pay As You Go? Thats just ridiculous.

IMHO they need to make both phones and plans more affordable and ditch contracts altogether. Either that, or give people new phones when problems arise. Sure, go on and trouble shoot. When that doesnt work you should get a new phone and not that refurbished crap.
QUOTE Thanks
sjwilson3821

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
Oh? I must respectfully disagree. I only deal with contracts because thats how to get the phone but every single time Ive gotten one the company has found some way to mess me up. Im tired of contracts and if I could get the iPhone with perfect service on something like Cricket or BootstMobile Id leave in a minute. And this is for all of them, T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, Ive been to all of them. Sure, customer service is great right up until you have a problem with the phone. Then youre basically stuck because youre in the contract. They keep trying to send refurbished phones or use methods that everyone knows wont work over the phone to troubleshoot, but how dare you even ask for a new one. Whether it be your own phone or even if youre willing to foot the bill for a new one, unless youre paying full price of over $500 forget it. And what person would pay over $500 for a phone over and over again whenever something goes wrong? Things go wrong too darn often on phones nowadays to even justify such a thing. If they worked right and actually lasted itd make more sense but some people are having troubles making some phones last a year. For the money people pay, contract or not, that should be downright unacceptable. And this new thing about 2 year contract or Pay As You Go? Thats just ridiculous.

IMHO they need to make both phones and plans more affordable and ditch contracts altogether. Either that, or give people new phones when problems arise. Sure, go on and trouble shoot. When that doesnt work you should get a new phone and not that refurbished crap.
I got a free blackberry with contract renewal with sprint. Needless to say my blackberry is nearly dead and always shuts down for no apparent reason. I also still have another year left of the contract. Anyways I dont think I should have to insure a phone when I pay for a service. They should just replace it instead of trying to get me to buy a new one only for it to also break. I mean if I purchase a router and modem from my isp and it goes out or breaks they will send a IT and they will replace it for free. Why cant my phone service be that way?

QUOTE Thanks
NVash

NVash will become famous soon enough

Exactly my point. And with most if not all places insurance is a joke. If they told me from the get-go that with insurance I would still have half the problems I did and do I doubt Id spend the extra money each month. But, of course, they never tell anyone that.

If Im paying for insurance its only logical that I get a perfectly new phone when mine decides to stop working. It makes sense. Im not paying for some refurbished mess. You can sell that to someone on the site who might want it but I am not interested. I should get this phone for free as well. If I have to pay for it why am I paying for insurance? Insurance is $6-10 each month and for a 2 year plan that could almost equal $240. Thats basically $240 out the window for nothing, saying I have no problems. Of course that has yet to happen but how many people actually manage to pull off getting a new one? They end up with a bunch of refurbished phones. Now if I refused insurance in the beginning then sure, charge me a lump sum for this new phone. If you want, give me an option. Im curious to see just how many would pick 'Refurbished' over 'Brand New'. But once you call customer service they try just about everything they can to get you a refurbished phone. Its a shame.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Oh? I must respectfully disagree.
You said you disagreed, but automatically assumed that contract free plans/phones are better without using them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwilson3821 View Post
I mean if I purchase a router and modem from my isp and it goes out or breaks they will send a IT and they will replace it for free. Why cant my phone service be that way?
First, that IT serviceman will only come up to fix it until the warranty runs out. Happened to me a few months ago with ATT! Second, everything breaks. If are worried about stuff breaking, why complain about the contract when you should be complaining about the actual device that broke? It's not the contract's fault, and no one forced you to sign it.

Quote:
Exactly my point. And with most if not all places insurance is a joke. If they told me from the get-go that with insurance I would still have half the problems I did and do I doubt Id spend the extra money each month. But, of course, they never tell anyone that.

If Im paying for insurance its only logical that I get a perfectly new phone when mine decides to stop working. It makes sense. Im not paying for some refurbished mess.
Cell phone insurances state whether or not a new claim will provide a refurb or a new model. This is because most phones end production within someone's contract period, meaning there will be no new phone to give to you. No one forces you to do it. So what's the fuss about again? We get many foreign phone users who go month-to-month(no contract)(through ATT sims). Do you know the price of phones for those who go month-to-month? You wouldn't have the phone you have right now if it wasn't for your contract, or you would either save up a while for it, or charge it. The majority of those who come through are rich, so they go for unlocked iphones/bb/and other sim smartphones, but the majority of phones out now that are worth spending money on, cost a lot! No-contract plans are of no benefit to people who stay put with their service. If you know you aren't going to change locations, plans, phones(as easily), its not of much benefit other than peace of mind. And also, a little fact from last year, the majority of cell phone owners in North America keep their phones between 17-27 months depending on brand. In Europe, it was about 13 months. In Japan, it was 8 months.

No-contract plans have their benefit, but I believe the majority of people fall into their hype, and like them for the wrong reasons. Keep in mind, some folks on here talk about no-contract's benefits as if they live in Europe, when they actually live in the US. It's not the same, nor do these little(relative to current companies) companies have the same substantial coverage as known contract-free carriers in Europe/Asia.

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Historical perspective on this:

10 Competition by many for resources and to control & profit from them
20 Winners rise to top and consolidate distribution controls; losers die off; leaves a minority controlling a majority
30 Constructs are put in place by the majority via social compact to regulate the minority's behavior relating to distribution
40 Social compact collapses; winners are killed by their "subjects" and their resources repatriated in some manner
50 Mayhem, disagreement over redistribution of resources by the majority, fighting for the scraps of the old system and other fun
60 GOTO 10

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Things go wrong too darn often on phones nowadays to even justify such a thing. If they worked right and actually lasted itd make more sense but some people are having troubles making some phones last a year.
Quote:

<Much ranting and silliness deleted>
I have to disagree with you there. The iPhones is a $500 phone but people, and I will lump you in this group as well, treat it like it's a toy. It's not. Seems most people don't have the ability to take care of their things and then expect someone to come to their rescue when they goon up their technology. Take care of your technology and it will take care of you. It's called responsability, learn it.

For my part, I've always been hard of cell phones until I got my iPhone 3G. First phone that lasted me beyond the contract period. My iPhone 4 had an issue with the home button not working after 8 months of use. Took it to Apple and walked out with a brand new phone at zero cost to me. Yes, I purchased Apple care, but that didn't matter. In and out in 10 minutes with a new phone in hand.

My recommendation to you: Grow up.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Releases OS X Lion | Apple Working On A Brand New Never Before Seen Mac For This Year’s End!! or are they? »