New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Why I'm Not Committing to Lion Yet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Why I'm Not Committing to Lion Yet

Interesting read from MacWorld.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

There are a number of valid reasons to stay with Snow Leopard.

This author doesn't discuss a single one of them except for a vague, non-committal reference to bug concerns.

There are a number of optional features in Lion that, while superfluous or undesirable to some, can be either not used or switched off.

Every single fault this author does discuss, with the exception of a vague, non-commital reference to bug concerns, is one of these.

And this is why I don't trust overly Mac-centric "news" sites to make legitimate critiques of anything Apple produces.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I disagree with almost everything the person said in that review. Mail does that exact thing he wants with rules. Can't write a simple rule? Took me 30 seconds.

Each their own I always say.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Hmm...
I didn't bother reading all of that article but I can't imagine a very large percentage of Lion users feeling the way he does. I think he represents a small amount of people - especially mouse users over trackpad users. I mean if you have a Mac notebook, odds are you use the trackpad the vast majority of the time.

I can't really say the initial move to Lion was "buggy" for me at all. I mean there's always going to be something that's not quite perfect (I miss the gesture to move from app to app). I'm running 10.7.1 and I figure by time I'm into .2 or .3 it'll be 99.9% smooth. No honest "complaints" here.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The move to Lion went smoothly on both of my machines and I'm happy with its performance. Considering that one of the machines is a 2008 MacBook Core 2 Duo, that's saying a lot.

However, there are just too many reports of folks having various problems with Lion. Not just in our forums - have a look at the Apple forums, Mac Rumors, and the others. In my humble opinion, this is more than I can remember from the update to Snow Leopard from Leopard.

And add to all of this the questionable move by Apple not to provide Lion on disk makes me wonder if Lion really needs more work. I guess we'll see over time as 10.7.2 and other updates are released.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

I can see Chris's perspective as well - it mirror's my father's. I've installed Lion on three computers so far - my work computer, my personal computer and my wife's computer. So far, pretty smooth sailing. My wife is a browser-tab junkie, so she's got at least ten pages of Firefox running with about a dozen tabs each. At those times, yeah, her Mac will slow to a crawl. But, apart from that, the transition has been smooth and painless.

My father on the other hand, I'm terrified to upgrade him. He's still running 10.4.x on G4 processors. I was going to give him an '07 Macbook loaded with the latest software, but it would absolutely confound him - and he's a sharp guy. He stays with older OSes and hardware because he can't find a database that will allow him to transfer his Microsoft Works database and make it do what he wants, and honestly, he doesn't want to spend the money on something that won't do what he wants any better than what he's got. He's got a routine down and he's happy with it. Apple has a knack for saying "Yeah, but that's wrong... do it this way now."
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

My friends, the future is Cloud. Google is there now with their Chrome OS and all their apps. Apple is following. Apple is discontinuing their software in stores and going all Online (Cloud) Distribution.

Am I all for it? Not completely. I want my Applications here on my machine where I can use them even if the internet goes down. My DATA even more so. It will stay right here where I can protect it myself.

Do some searches on Windows 8 Cloud and Azure their Cloud App programming language. The whole world of computers is slowly going to the cloud.

Do remember that you can purchase a Flash Drive with Lion on it. Sure it's a bit more but WAY less than any Windows that does all OSX Lion does.

I do understand this is causing a lot of issues especially for people who just bought a new Mac that will only run Lion and no way to get it. It can be gotten around.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

To Ever, Let me check on Works Databases. I am sure I imported mine over with something. Maybe NeoOffice or Open office. I will get back to you if I find anything. I was a big Works Database user as I did not like Access for home database usage.

I did convert it over somehow!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Well purchased Office 2011 online, and the same with Lion, and in each instance was able to copy to a SanDisk Cruzer with no problems, and have done the same with DiskWarrior. Where necessary these are bootable and of course Lion comes with the Recovery Disk also. This is no doubt the way things are going and the only problem I foresee is the need for half a dozen or so thumb drives.

Saves an awful amount of manufacturing time, cost and materials. Subject to goods being marketed at a suitable price, no objections whatsoever.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jetmech1

jetmech1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB

Well, I'm only using Lion on my 2007 Model MacBook Pro because it crashes my 2009 model 27" iMac. It seems to run ok on the MBP. Hoping for updates that resolves the crashing issues so i can reinstall on both my iMacs.

Mac Mini - 2.5 GHz i5 - 8 GB - 128 GB SSD & 1 TB HD - 2 Apple 23" LCD
15.4" Unibody MBP - 2 MacBook Airs
2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 3 iPods, 1 Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

From my experience, not doing a clean instal with Lion left me with some slow downs, and sleep/turning off problems. They almost all went away after doing a complete clean install. I didn't do a backup from time machine, I installed SL, installed iLife, and iWorks, then did the updates, then installed Lion. Works perfect except Safari still uses up almost 1.5gb's of ram sometimes. Hopefully they will patch that up quick!

I also did hate the autocorrecting that it did. I turned it off though. There really is no need to actually discuss the problems with something when it give the user to either use it or not!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The move to Lion went smoothly on both of my machines and I'm happy with its performance. Considering that one of the machines is a 2008 MacBook Core 2 Duo, that's saying a lot.
Same here. I have an early 08 MB and Lion runs like a champ on it. I will admit though that I initially upgraded instead of doing a clean install and the upgrade was slow as molasses. After doing the clean install though, it runs smoothly.

(Yet another reason I don't do upgrades)

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Same here. I have an early 08 MB and Lion runs like a champ on it. I will admit though that I initially upgraded instead of doing a clean install and the upgrade was slow as molasses. After doing the clean install though, it runs smoothly.

(Yet another reason I don't do upgrades)
But this is a significant problem, given the distribution method of the OS. Since it's model was upgrade ONLY, one would have thought that the numerous upgrade failures would have been caught in test... Or... the vast majority of people who participated in the 'beta' program didn't really participate, they simply did so to get the OS 'earlier' than anyone else and never bothered writing bugs.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
But this is a significant problem, given the distribution method of the OS. Since it's model was upgrade ONLY, one would have thought that the numerous upgrade failures would have been caught in test...
I never quite understood why Apple didn't allow users to easily make a copy of Lion from day one. If they did, users could have had the option of doing clean installs easily (yes, for those who are going to point this out, I know you can create one but how many average users would have known how?). I know they have the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant but that's only useful once Lion is installed. If they had made it available from day one, we wouldn't have had the problems of an upgrade only option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Or... the vast majority of people who participated in the 'beta' program didn't really participate, they simply did so to get the OS 'earlier' than anyone else and never bothered writing bugs.
I think you're right on the button there. I'm sure there are many zealous users who aren't developers in any form who joined the paid dev program.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

I think it's horrible that a new machine doesn't at least get a copy of Lion on a USB stick. If your hard drive fails, you have to purchase a new copy because you didn't get it from the Mac App store

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple adds white iPod touch, drops price of 8GB model to $199 | Apple Announces New “Cards” iOS App »