New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Why I'm Not Committing to Lion Yet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Are you talking about the USB stick you purchase from Apple or the one you make with that recovery utility? I have never made one with Apples utility but burned my own bootable stick with the full install on it.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Are you talking about the USB stick you purchase from Apple or the one you make with that recovery utility? I have never made one with Apples utility but burned my own bootable stick with the full install on it.
I've only treid Apple's recovery usb option. I haven't yet tried making my own bootable stick. I'm reinstalling OSX right now, and will try it when everything is done. Apple's Lion recovery takes SOOO long. Too long imo.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
dvdchance

dvdchance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
Well, that and Apple's new fullscreen implementation with Desktops makes it impossible to fullscreen something to one monitor while still being able to use the other for stuff. I can get into more details if you'd like to chat privately, but I'm worried I might go into rant mode if I start. :p
What issues are you having with fullscreen?

I have Plex running fullscreen on 1 monitor and do my work i.e. Word, Photoshop, browsing in another. Works great for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdchance View Post
What issues are you having with fullscreen?

I have Plex running fullscreen on 1 monitor and do my work i.e. Word, Photoshop, browsing in another. Works great for me.
I should have clarified: I was referring to Apple's new implementation of Fullscreen where it creates an additional space and uses the whole thing up, greying out all the other monitors. Applications that don't use it are fine, but it makes QuickTime and iTunes completely unviable for full-screening a movie to a second monitor. If Apple's version of fullscreen starts to actually catch on, it will become a bigger problem.

EDIT: Wait no, I did clarify in the original post. You just didn't read carefully. Not even the part you quoted it seems.
QUOTE Thanks
dvdchance

dvdchance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
I should have clarified: I was referring to Apple's new implementation of Fullscreen where it creates an additional space and uses the whole thing up, greying out all the other monitors. Applications that don't use it are fine, but it makes QuickTime and iTunes completely unviable for full-screening a movie to a second monitor. If Apple's version of fullscreen starts to actually catch on, it will become a bigger problem.

EDIT: Wait no, I did clarify in the original post. You just didn't read carefully. Not even the part you quoted it seems.
Sorry I probably should have just not commented on what I know very little about. I'm just a 2 month newbie to Macs, yet alone the differences in various fullscreen implementations.

My bad.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

No worries. I wrote the original thing assuming more familiarity with Lion's new features than I probably should have, especially considering it was supposed to inform readers about them and their shortcomings.
QUOTE Thanks
Bcn

Bcn is on a distinguished road

Only thing I've noticed is that at start-up it's quite a lot slower than before (SL). In general I guess that it works a bit slower, but it's not a huge difference and you barely notice it. The big different is at start-up though and it annoys me, do you think a clean install would help on that?
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcn View Post
Only thing I've noticed is that at start-up it's quite a lot slower than before (SL). In general I guess that it works a bit slower, but it's not a huge difference and you barely notice it. The big different is at start-up though and it annoys me, do you think a clean install would help on that?
Have you tried disabling the feature that restores your open windows on login? I imagine that would be responsible for most of the increased startup time.
QUOTE Thanks
Bcn

Bcn is on a distinguished road

It's not when logging i, but when turning on my Mac. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple adds white iPod touch, drops price of 8GB model to $199 | Apple Announces New “Cards” iOS App »