New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Why I'm Not Committing to Lion Yet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

Some people complain that you did not get a USB stick with LION on it when you buy a new Mac , well that is correct .
But on they other hand a MAC can boot up from every drive as long as it has GUID partition table.
Bearing in mind that the average life time of a HD is 3 to 5 years it is always wise to make e clone of you're system HD on a external drive .
If you're HD is failing replace it and clone you're copy back to you're new drive .
QUOTE Thanks
kittonian

kittonian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby View Post
Some people complain that you did not get a USB stick with LION on it when you buy a new Mac , well that is correct .
But on they other hand a MAC can boot up from every drive as long as it has GUID partition table.
Bearing in mind that the average life time of a HD is 3 to 5 years it is always wise to make e clone of you're system HD on a external drive .
If you're HD is failing replace it and clone you're copy back to you're new drive .
While that is certainly true the problem lies way beyond the people who "know about technology". Apple has built their reputation on making things incredibly easy and reliable. This is why consumers pay a premium for Apple products (and of course they look pretty).

This whole move to get it from the app store or pay $60+ for a USB stick is really silly for an OS. I can totally understand it for a piece of software but not the software that runs the core of your machine. If something fails, people want to run to the local store, grab a new drive, and be back and running as quickly as possible.

As far as this whole move to "store everything in the cloud", I for one am not on board with it at all. How many times do the hackers have to prove that people can break into any system if they are dedicated enough. Information that is uploaded to the Internet (in any manner) can be stolen. I'm not putting my financial records, nor my contacts/customers, or any other sensitive data anywhere but on my local network. If I have a hard drive failure, I'll restore from our backup system. This is why IT departments still exist.

Joshua Aaron
President/CEO
Mac Genius - Apple Macintosh & IT Consulting
QUOTE Thanks
dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
While that is certainly true the problem lies way beyond the people who "know about technology". Apple has built their reputation on making things incredibly easy and reliable. This is why consumers pay a premium for Apple products (and of course they look pretty).

This whole move to get it from the app store or pay $60+ for a USB stick is really silly for an OS. I can totally understand it for a piece of software but not the software that runs the core of your machine. If something fails, people want to run to the local store, grab a new drive, and be back and running as quickly as possible.

As far as this whole move to "store everything in the cloud", I for one am not on board with it at all. How many times do the hackers have to prove that people can break into any system if they are dedicated enough. Information that is uploaded to the Internet (in any manner) can be stolen. I'm not putting my financial records, nor my contacts/customers, or any other sensitive data anywhere but on my local network. If I have a hard drive failure, I'll restore from our backup system. This is why IT departments still exist.
But what is you're point .
That it is difficult to make a clone on a USB or Firewiredrive , because that is what I am suggesting .
In my times when I was still working in ICT we all ways keep 3 generation of our data .
As we called it grandfather father and son .
Kept in different places .
But for a home user somewhat over killed
I did NOT mentioned cloud computing , NOT anywhere
QUOTE Thanks
kittonian

kittonian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby View Post
But what is you're point .
That it is difficult to make a clone on a USB or Firewiredrive , because that is what I am suggesting .
In my times when I was still working in ICT we all ways keep 3 generation of our data .
As we called it grandfather father and son .
Kept in different places .
But for a home user somewhat over killed
I did NOT mentioned cloud computing , NOT anywhere
No, what I'm suggesting is that the "average" computer user knows very little about technology, and when/if they have a failure all they want to do is place a phone call to a support person and have that person walk them through getting their system back and running as quickly as possible.

The majority of these "average" users won't even think to make a USB or FW clone so regardless of how simple it might be for people like us who work with technology every single day, it is asking quite a lot of the general public.

Joshua Aaron
President/CEO
Mac Genius - Apple Macintosh & IT Consulting
QUOTE Thanks
bkitchen0406

bkitchen0406 is on a distinguished road

The upgrade process was buggy and the new MacBook airs had a video problem that caused lion to freez during video. I had this problem with my new MacBook air. They patched Lion about 3 weeks after it came out which fixed most all the issues. Upgrades now run smooth. Personally I wish there was a way to turn off the dash board and mission control. I see no need for those features. Other then that it works great.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

After trying to get used to the mostly unmitigated disaster that is Mission Control for months now, I'm contemplating writing a piece sort of like the article this thread links to, except more specific and actually substantive.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I love Mission Control. Hard to use my older Macs without it now. Everything right there and easy to use.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

+1. That and "Air Drop" are great. I'm a bit disappointed that my old 2008 MacBook doesn't support Air Drop. It's so handy for moving files and photos.
QUOTE Thanks
bkitchen0406

bkitchen0406 is on a distinguished road

Maybe I need to use mission control more and give it more of a try.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

@dtravis7:
Eh, I have a number of issues with Mission Control as a power user because it outright eliminated a lot of functionality that used to be in Snow Leopard, much of which I consider important. I can see the appeal in casual use of Mission Control though, especially since I started out being pretty optimistic about it. I'm mainly bummed that Apple chose to actually take away power (and some ease of power-use) from OS X for the sake of making something to appeal to the average user when historically no OS X release has ever done so. Well, that and Apple's new fullscreen implementation with Desktops makes it impossible to fullscreen something to one monitor while still being able to use the other for stuff. I can get into more details if you'd like to chat privately, but I'm worried I might go into rant mode if I start. :p

@chscag:
AirDrop's requirements kind of blind-sided me at first with my early 2008 MacBook pro, but the hardware reason makes complete sense, so I can live with that. I wonder if I can get AirDrop to work if I install a newer wireless card in my MBP... hmmm...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I would love to try Air Drop but both my Intel Macs are not supported. I don't see why as it can't take that much to run a network file copy program over WiFi. If Apple cut out older machines because of the Airport card they use, that is just wrong. How hard would it be to include support for say my late 2007 iMac? Not at all hard in fact.

On MC, I am a power user. I run 25-30 apps at once and use them all. I find MC easier to get where I want and to make a space and move an open app into it. Some of the missing things can be triggered by F-Keys.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

It would be very difficult to include support for any of the Macs Apple produced before relatively recently because of how AirDrop works. It uses an ad hoc wireless network to look for the Macs in close physical proximity and then transfers the file over. The catch is that it does this without ever dropping the connection to the wireless network the Mac is using for the Internet. This is only possible with a wireless card that supports being connected to two wireless networks at the same time. None of the Macs before late 2008 had such a wireless card. It's the same reason older Macs can't take advantage of a dual-band wireless N router in the same way more recent models can. So Apple could enable AirDrop for older Macs, but it would only be available when not already connected to a WiFi network. Yes, this might actually make a lot of sense in the context of a desktop connected by ethernet, but I'm guessing Apple didn't want to deal with millions of user complaints about AirDrop's availability being inconsistent since a lot of people use their iMacs and Mac minis on wireless networks.

On MC, all I have to say on power use of it is that everything that can be done in MC, I can do with Snow Leopard's Spaces or Exposé in at least one less click/key press/swipe... and there are a number of features that simply can't be replicated. Below is the list of things Mission Control can't do that Spaces/Exposé accomplished quite well:

- Ability to tell which Space you're using by looking at the the menubar
- Ability to align Spaces in a grid and switch between them non-linearly (going to the next row)
- Ability to see all your spaces in a view large enough to actually see the windows easily
- Ability to "Exposé" all your windows in all your spaces at once when in "Spaces" view (now Mission Control view)
- Ability to manually rearrange the order of Spaces
- Ability to freely drag windows between Spaces when in "Spaces" view (now Mission Control view)*
- Using Ctrl+ [Space number] to get to a specific space **
- Ability to fullscreen something on a second display without killing your ability to use other displays entirely (this is a direct consequence of the new fullscreen mode creating a new Space)
- Ability to see the second monitor when viewing/organizing your Spaces***

- Having the windows in "Exposé" (now Mission Control) view each labelled with their titles
- Ability to see all your windows in full on the "Exposé" (now Mission Control) screen; currently, any application with more than one window open has most of its contents obscured****
- Ability to see minimized windows****

*This can be worked around if you're willing to bring a window of interest to the front every time you want to move a space. Extra clicks/swipes.
**This can be done for some of the spaces in Lion, but it does not work for any space that was created by a fullscreen application.
***You can run Mission Control on the second monitor to see this separately from the main one. This is highly disorganized and not all that useful, though.
****This can be worked around if you use the Application-specific Exposé, again requiring extra clicks/swipes unless you only have minimized windows in one app.

Needless to say, Mission Control has a long way to go before I accept it as a real power user tool. The complicating of multi-monitor workflows is an especially egregious offense since this used to be an area where OS X's way of doing things far surpassed Windows', but I at least have some degree of confidence Apple will fix that. I'm mainly worried that Apple's approach with OS X may be taking a direction similar to what they did when they crippled Final Cut Pro for the sake of making it more accessible to casual users. I hope that isn't the case and am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm certainly going to be paying a lot of attention to what Apple does with Mountain Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I'm honestly getting kind of tired of the Lion recovery option. It's way too cumbersome, even with the backup being on a 4gb usb stick.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Wondering why the Memory Stick is cumbersome to you ? I much prefer a memory stick to a DVD that can scratch and get smudges. Otherwise once you have the memory stick, the install is about the same. Just my opinion anyway.

I love installing from Memory Sticks.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Wondering why the Memory Stick is cumbersome to you ? I much prefer a memory stick to a DVD that can scratch and get smudges. Otherwise once you have the memory stick, the install is about the same. Just my opinion anyway.

I love installing from Memory Sticks.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong or something, but the usb Lion recovery doesn't actually have the Lion install on it, just a connection that allows you to re-download it. I wish it was an actual file, like the past OSX dvd's, but in usb form. That's about the only thin I really hate right now.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple adds white iPod touch, drops price of 8GB model to $199 | Apple Announces New “Cards” iOS App »