Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    See my above post regarding the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

I thought he was going to say because it was buggy. That's a fairly valid reason.

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by aoifeee View Post
    I thought he was going to say because it was buggy. That's a fairly valid reason.
    Yet it's not....

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    Yet it's not....
    Donno, I bailed on it due to a bug. Seems I was able to regression test it, all on my own

To be honest, I'll probably wait at this point till I NEED to go to Lion.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by class77 View Post
    I think it's horrible that a new machine doesn't at least get a copy of Lion on a USB stick. If your hard drive fails, you have to purchase a new copy because you didn't get it from the Mac App store
    I agree about not getting a physical copy of the OS with a new machine.

But, nope. What I've found is that once you register your new machine that comes with Lion, Garageband, iPhoto, iMovie.... The software is now associated with your Apple ID - not the machine it originally shipped on.

Plus, now that we've been here and know how (or at least, where to find the directions) to make a backup in case our drive dies - we have no more excuses.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I agree about not getting a physical copy of the OS with a new machine.

But, nope. What I've found is that once you register your new machine that comes with Lion, Garageband, iPhoto, iMovie.... The software is now associated with your Apple ID - not the machine it originally shipped on.

Plus, now that we've been here and know how (or at least, where to find the directions) to make a backup in case our drive dies - we have no more excuses.
    Excellent find Bob. Good going.

I do agree that Apple though should give a Recovery Flash Drive with new systems though. Would make it easy for the Novice user.

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    Donno, I bailed on it due to a bug. Seems I was able to regression test it, all on my own

To be honest, I'll probably wait at this point till I NEED to go to Lion.
    I think we've already had this discussion. You are the exception, not the norm.

Specs:
    2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
    I think we've already had this discussion. You are the exception, not the norm.
    Such an exception that Apple saw fit to make every single change in 10.7.1 a bugfix?

Saying the bugs documented by millions of results on any search engine don't exist doesn't make them not exist...

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
    Saying the bugs documented by millions of results on any search engine don't exist doesn't make them not exist...
    Apple makes most releases bug fixes and patches. That's the whole point. The fact that the vast majority of Mac users likely never encountered the problem doesn't mean it didn't need to be fixed. Just because you encountered the issue doesn't mean that it was a big deal or even a particularly high priority issue to fix, it means that you saw an issue. Nothing more.

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Apple makes most releases bug fixes and patches. That's the whole point. The fact that the vast majority of Mac users likely never encountered the problem doesn't mean it didn't need to be fixed. Just because you encountered the issue doesn't mean that it was a big deal or even a particularly high priority issue to fix, it means that you saw an issue. Nothing more.
    I agree, however, I keep seeing people say this release is bug-free. I find that HIGHLY unlikely. Regardless of my personal experience with THIS issue. More so, my experience actually on the development side of the equation tells me that this just aint so. Now with that, I'm done with these threads.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Specs:
    Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5
    I've committed to Lion because I just think it's better to rise the horse in the direction it's going. The bugs annoy me but they'll gradually disappear.

The one Lion feature that's really bothered me, is the loss of Spaces and the old Expose. I know how to use Mission Control and I'm familiar with all the tweaks. But Mission Control doesn't do it for me. I'm hoping against hope that some enterprising 3rd party developer can produce a Snow Leopardesque Spaces app!

That said, there are plenty of features in Lion that are improvements over SL (Mail, for example) and I'd rather put up with early-version Lion issues, than wait months for a significant update.

That's just my opinion; I understand why others would want to hang back awhile.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Trust me people, Dysfunction's Battery life issue with Lion is very true. I know him quite well and he is not just saying this to run down Lion. Anandtech had that SAME issue Dysfunction is having on one of their 15" MBP's.

The other bugs are very small. Some will not even notice most.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Anandtech review, with reference to C2D MBPs:
    The early 2008 MacBook Pro showed around a 20% decrease in battery life in our two web browsing battery life tests. Once again we saw no difference in our heavy multitasking test. Once again I'm guessing this change is due to some tinkering with OS X's behavior at idle. Our performance data above doesn't suggest any performance issues causing lower battery life on the old Core 2 Duo based MacBook Pro, so there's got to be something keeping the CPU out of its lower idle states during our tests. I checked Activity Monitor during the benchmarks and didn't see anything obvious, meaning it's likely a lower level OS issue. Our own Brian Klug theorized that the lower battery life could be due to the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro now loading Lion's 64-bit kernel by default instead of the 32-bit kernel like it did in the Snow Leopard days.

The impact is pretty significant on the older MacBook Pro. Older mobile Mac owners dependent on battery life may want to wait to pull the trigger on Lion until at least the first point update.

I will add that something very strange happened on one of our battery life runs with the 2011 MacBook Pro. During our Flash Web Browsing battery life test we recorded a full battery rundown that took under 3 hours, instead of the ~7 hours you see above. Once again I checked Activity Monitor to ensure nothing funny was going on and didn't find anything odd. Subsequent runs couldn't duplicate the result either. It's pretty unusual for us to see that sort of run-to-run variation in our tests so it's not totally clear what happened there, other than Lion does seem to be doing more in the background which could impact battery life than previous iterations of OS X.
    An informal poll on MacRumours shows ~ 50% of users experiencing battery issues (source). I also found this thread on the Apple boards pretty quickly.

The battery issue isn't a unique issue. In fact, quite a few people seem to be having it so it would be difficult to say that this is an uncommon problem. My battery isn't what it used to be so I won't claim that the shorter life is due to Lion but if there really are more background processes, it isn't helping the case. On average though, I run this thing on AC so I don't really notice this like Dysfunction might.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Thanks for posting that Anandtech URL Van.

Specs:
    I stand corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    Now with that, I'm done with these threads.
    Promise?

Thread Information