New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Why I'm Not Committing to Lion Yet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

See my above post regarding the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
aoifeee

aoifeee is on a distinguished road

I thought he was going to say because it was buggy. That's a fairly valid reason.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoifeee View Post
I thought he was going to say because it was buggy. That's a fairly valid reason.
Yet it's not....

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Yet it's not....
Donno, I bailed on it due to a bug. Seems I was able to regression test it, all on my own

To be honest, I'll probably wait at this point till I NEED to go to Lion.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
I think it's horrible that a new machine doesn't at least get a copy of Lion on a USB stick. If your hard drive fails, you have to purchase a new copy because you didn't get it from the Mac App store
I agree about not getting a physical copy of the OS with a new machine.

But, nope. What I've found is that once you register your new machine that comes with Lion, Garageband, iPhoto, iMovie.... The software is now associated with your Apple ID - not the machine it originally shipped on.

Plus, now that we've been here and know how (or at least, where to find the directions) to make a backup in case our drive dies - we have no more excuses.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I agree about not getting a physical copy of the OS with a new machine.

But, nope. What I've found is that once you register your new machine that comes with Lion, Garageband, iPhoto, iMovie.... The software is now associated with your Apple ID - not the machine it originally shipped on.

Plus, now that we've been here and know how (or at least, where to find the directions) to make a backup in case our drive dies - we have no more excuses.
Excellent find Bob. Good going.

I do agree that Apple though should give a Recovery Flash Drive with new systems though. Would make it easy for the Novice user.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Donno, I bailed on it due to a bug. Seems I was able to regression test it, all on my own

To be honest, I'll probably wait at this point till I NEED to go to Lion.
I think we've already had this discussion. You are the exception, not the norm.

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
I think we've already had this discussion. You are the exception, not the norm.
Such an exception that Apple saw fit to make every single change in 10.7.1 a bugfix?

Saying the bugs documented by millions of results on any search engine don't exist doesn't make them not exist...
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
Saying the bugs documented by millions of results on any search engine don't exist doesn't make them not exist...
Apple makes most releases bug fixes and patches. That's the whole point. The fact that the vast majority of Mac users likely never encountered the problem doesn't mean it didn't need to be fixed. Just because you encountered the issue doesn't mean that it was a big deal or even a particularly high priority issue to fix, it means that you saw an issue. Nothing more.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Apple makes most releases bug fixes and patches. That's the whole point. The fact that the vast majority of Mac users likely never encountered the problem doesn't mean it didn't need to be fixed. Just because you encountered the issue doesn't mean that it was a big deal or even a particularly high priority issue to fix, it means that you saw an issue. Nothing more.
I agree, however, I keep seeing people say this release is bug-free. I find that HIGHLY unlikely. Regardless of my personal experience with THIS issue. More so, my experience actually on the development side of the equation tells me that this just aint so. Now with that, I'm done with these threads.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Command Alt Ego

Command Alt Ego is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5

I've committed to Lion because I just think it's better to rise the horse in the direction it's going. The bugs annoy me but they'll gradually disappear.

The one Lion feature that's really bothered me, is the loss of Spaces and the old Expose. I know how to use Mission Control and I'm familiar with all the tweaks. But Mission Control doesn't do it for me. I'm hoping against hope that some enterprising 3rd party developer can produce a Snow Leopardesque Spaces app!

That said, there are plenty of features in Lion that are improvements over SL (Mail, for example) and I'd rather put up with early-version Lion issues, than wait months for a significant update.

That's just my opinion; I understand why others would want to hang back awhile.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Trust me people, Dysfunction's Battery life issue with Lion is very true. I know him quite well and he is not just saying this to run down Lion. Anandtech had that SAME issue Dysfunction is having on one of their 15" MBP's.

The other bugs are very small. Some will not even notice most.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Anandtech review, with reference to C2D MBPs:
Quote:
The early 2008 MacBook Pro showed around a 20% decrease in battery life in our two web browsing battery life tests. Once again we saw no difference in our heavy multitasking test. Once again I'm guessing this change is due to some tinkering with OS X's behavior at idle. Our performance data above doesn't suggest any performance issues causing lower battery life on the old Core 2 Duo based MacBook Pro, so there's got to be something keeping the CPU out of its lower idle states during our tests. I checked Activity Monitor during the benchmarks and didn't see anything obvious, meaning it's likely a lower level OS issue. Our own Brian Klug theorized that the lower battery life could be due to the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro now loading Lion's 64-bit kernel by default instead of the 32-bit kernel like it did in the Snow Leopard days.

The impact is pretty significant on the older MacBook Pro. Older mobile Mac owners dependent on battery life may want to wait to pull the trigger on Lion until at least the first point update.

I will add that something very strange happened on one of our battery life runs with the 2011 MacBook Pro. During our Flash Web Browsing battery life test we recorded a full battery rundown that took under 3 hours, instead of the ~7 hours you see above. Once again I checked Activity Monitor to ensure nothing funny was going on and didn't find anything odd. Subsequent runs couldn't duplicate the result either. It's pretty unusual for us to see that sort of run-to-run variation in our tests so it's not totally clear what happened there, other than Lion does seem to be doing more in the background which could impact battery life than previous iterations of OS X.
An informal poll on MacRumours shows ~ 50% of users experiencing battery issues (source). I also found this thread on the Apple boards pretty quickly.

The battery issue isn't a unique issue. In fact, quite a few people seem to be having it so it would be difficult to say that this is an uncommon problem. My battery isn't what it used to be so I won't claim that the shorter life is due to Lion but if there really are more background processes, it isn't helping the case. On average though, I run this thing on AC so I don't really notice this like Dysfunction might.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Thanks for posting that Anandtech URL Van.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

I stand corrected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Now with that, I'm done with these threads.
Promise?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple adds white iPod touch, drops price of 8GB model to $199 | Apple Announces New “Cards” iOS App »