Post Verizon now cracking down on jailbreak tethering and apps
    Verizon now cracking down on jailbreak tethering and apps

Verizon is now blocking customers from tethering for free on their data plan. For years, savvy smartphone owners have used hacks and software to connect their laptop or tablet to their phone's mobile broadband connection without paying the additional US$20 monthly charge for tethering. Until now, carriers have turned a blind eye to this free tethering and let it continue as long as data usage wasn't excessive.

Verizon, similar to AT&T, has decided to put an end to this practice. The carrier is forwarding these free tethering customers to a Verizon webpage that lets them add the tethering option to their plan in just a few clicks. This move comes hot on the heels of Verizon's controversial decision to end its unlimited data plan last month.

Verizon now cracking down on jailbreak tethering and apps originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source*|*Permalink*|*Email this*|*Comments
    Read more

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    I thought Verizon was the benevolent cell company that was going to save iPhone users from the evils of AT&T. Guess not...

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    I thought Verizon was the benevolent cell company that was going to save iPhone users from the evils of AT&T. Guess not...
    Verizon benevolent? ROFL. Five years ago Verizon introduced FIOS here in Fort Worth as the first place in the US to get hi-speed fiber TV and Net. They boasted at the time how they would hold the rates below all competition while giving us superior service. Well, five years later and three rate increases later, I'm still waiting for the superior service.

At least with Ma Bell, you know up front they're evil.

Thread Information