New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I Just downloaded it to install on a spare flash drive to run as a test with an older MacBook that was recently updated to Lion. Will give results in a bit.

Edit: Looks like I ran out of useable flash drives. Will have to run the test tomorrow after I pick up a couple of new ones at Staples. (They're on sale.)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Fool of a download link just will not work. Try again another day!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

So this would negate the need to buy the $69 USB drive from Apple for someone who upgraded from SL to Lion via Mac App Store.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
So this would negate the need to buy the $69 USB drive from Apple for someone who upgraded from SL to Lion via Mac App Store.
For those who bought the download one from mas would never buy $69 drive.
Just create this recovery app on usb will be sufficient.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
For those who bought the download one from mas would never buy $69 drive.
Just create this recovery app on usb will be sufficient.
If they remembered to copy the installer to a disc or flash drive before installing Lion....

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
If they remembered to copy the installer to a disc or flash drive before installing Lion....
This utility doesn't need that. It creates it as long as you have a recovery partition on the machine you're using the tool on.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
This utility doesn't need that. It creates it as long as you have a recovery partition on the machine you're using the tool on.
Right, that was I was surmising when I made my first post in this thread...

Quote:

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Right, that was I was surmising when I made my first post in this thread...
I guess I was confused because you implied differently here:

Quote:
I was just making sure people realized they didn't need to do that to use this app.

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

Quote:
I guess I was confused because you implied differently here:

I was just making sure people realized they didn't need to do that to use this app.
No problem. I was replying to ycl1688's post to clarify that not everyone remembered to make a backup disc/flash drive when installing Lion. Myself, for instance.

If I didn't have a backup disc or flash drive and wanted one, I wouldn't be too excited about spending $69 on one from the Apple Store. Hence the reason this utility is a welcome little gift from Apple.

QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

so I could use this once I upgrade my hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres87 View Post
so I could use this once I upgrade my hard drive?
That is correct.

QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That is correct.
great!!!
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

For some reason (and possibly due to a bad thumb drive) my copy didn't work on my late 2010 MBA. I'm going to get some replacement thumb drives this weekend and try again. BTW, Amazon had 8GB SanDisk thumbs for less than $7.
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Well this part kind of sucks:
Quote:
If the computer shipped with Lion, the external recovery drive can only be used with the system that created it.
If the system was upgraded from Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard to Lion, the external recovery drive can be used with other systems that were upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion.
My parents purchased a new iMac and MacBook Pro just after Lion was released. This means they'll have to make a flash drive for each of the computers, as opposed to being able to use just one for both.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple seen doubling or even tripling market share of iPhone & Mac | At this rate, there won't be a tablet market, just an iPad market »