Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Specs:
    mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
    situations are getting muddy here. let me clarify a bit, if others agree.
    scenario #1 - when you created the back up for the lion os, it can be created on a 8gb thumb drive or dvd disc. This is prior to create external recovery drive announced by apple.

Scenario #2 - after the announcing the external recovery drive news, it can be created on a 1gb thumb drive or sdhc memory chip, this is only after you have downloaded the lion os in your mac.

RONE,

I believe making separated recovery is not a big deal just down load the software and transfer to external drive.
    Right now in my hand I have the backup 8gb thumb drive and 1gb thumb drive with recovery software. I doubt I will ever use them, to be safe than sorry.

Specs:
    25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
    Will the download of the Lion be in conflict with a purchased thumbdrive version of Lion purchased from the store?

I mean you download Lion. Sometime down the road you need the recovery disc for some conflict (like you have to produce your original SL disk now to fix a problem). If you purchase a backup thumbdrive with Lion on it from the Apple store and try to use that, will that not cause a conflict
     24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
     2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
     iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
     iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5

Specs:
    mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by class77 View Post
    Will the download of the Lion be in conflict with a purchased thumbdrive version of Lion purchased from the store?

I mean you download Lion. Sometime down the road you need the recovery disc for some conflict (like you have to produce your original SL disk now to fix a problem). If you purchase a backup thumbdrive with Lion on it from the Apple store and try to use that, will that not cause a conflict
    I believe the one back up (8gb) you made is identical to the apple one sold you. The external recovery drive (1gb) is what you reboot, in case of a crash. I just use my backup to load to another mbp with S/L works like a chime.

Specs:
    25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
    I believe the one back up (8gb) you made is identical to the apple one sold you. The external recovery drive (1gb) is what you reboot, in case of a crash. I just use my backup to load to another mbp with S/L works like a chime.
    I'm saying if you don't make back ups and recovery drives, but purchase a thumb drive from Apple after downloading it from the Mac store, won't that cause a conflict.

It's just my opinion, but there's going to a whole lot of Apple buyers out there who are not tech savvy and do not make these two back up drives. They are going to have some problem in the future that will require the use of some utility stored on the drive. If they will then go to the store and purchase another thumbdrive to access those utilities, it may cause a whole new set of problems.

Again, JMHO, but it's too early for Apple not to issue CDs when selling new operating systems. Apple may be trying to do away with every superdrive in existence, but it seems like we're being forced to give them up, not a natural progression or need(like to save weight in an Air for example).
     24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
     2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
     iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
     iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5

Specs:
    mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by class77 View Post
    I'm saying if you don't make back ups and recovery drives, but purchase a thumb drive from Apple after downloading it from the Mac store, won't that cause a conflict.

It's just my opinion, but there's going to a whole lot of Apple buyers out there who are not tech savvy and do not make these two back up drives. They are going to have some problem in the future that will require the use of some utility stored on the drive. If they will then go to the store and purchase another thumbdrive to access those utilities, it may cause a whole new set of problems.

Again, JMHO, but it's too early for Apple not to issue CDs when selling new operating systems. Apple may be trying to do away with every superdrive in existence, but it seems like we're being forced to give them up, not a natural progression or need(like to save weight in an Air for example).
    in that situation then if you buy a thumb drive from apple then will make apple even richer ! kidding aside the system will simple mention that you have duplicate copy and install from the thumb drive from apple, if that desperate to recover the drive.

Thread Information