New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Lion USB sticks now available

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Lion USB sticks now available

Quote:
Apple's promised USB sticks for OS X Lion should now be available for sale, internal AppleCare documents show. These allow a person to install the OS without an available Internet connection and/or Mac App Store access. Apple is charging $69 for each stick, $39 more than the cost of a downloaded Lion upgrade....

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I'm curious to find out with the release of Lion USB stick...will the OS 10.6.8 requirement for Lion still be a requirement (if upgrading from the Lion USB Stick).

My understanding is you needed to have the latest version of Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.8) to get the "Mac App Store"...so you could do the Lion download. But with the Lion USB Stick...you don't need the Mac App Store...so maybe upgrading from Leopard (or older versions of Snow Leopard) may be possible.

This could also explain the significantly higher price of $69.99 for the Lion USB Stick (vs. the $29.99 Lion Mac App Store download)...since:

- $29.00 for Snow Leopard Install Disk + $29.99 Lion Mac App Store download = $58.99

Versus:

- $58.99 (total cost from above) + cost of a "bare" USB Stick (say $10-$11) = $69.99

So either method basically the same price.

Just a theory/guess on my part...this is very new news. As far as I can tell...(at this very moment) the Lion USB Stick isn't even available yet for purchase at the Apple Store.

- Nick

p.s. Of course the "core 2 duo" hardware requirement for Lion still applies.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Nick, I am very sure that the Downloadable SL requirement is both for the App Store and the upgrade. When you get the Memory Stick, you can do a clean install so SL would not be needed. I feel like you do that is why the higher price as well as the cost of the probably 8GB Flash Drive.

Lion will NOT fit on a 4GB as some have stated. When you Partition a 4GB GUID, the GUID partition takes up just a few MB over what is needed to restore Lion to the drive and there is not enough room by about 10MB! I and others had to use an 8GB drive which as you know is a few $$$ more. Unless on the Flash Drive install they shrunk the install files by 10-20MB!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Nick, I am very sure that the SL requirement is both for the App Store and the upgrade. When you get the Memory Stick, you can do a clean install so SL would not be needed. I feel like you do that is why the higher price as well as the cost of the probably 8GB Flash Drive.
Hey...I was just thinking off the top of my head. I didn't remember seeing any other specific detail requiring SL for Lion (other than 10.6.8 to get the Mac App Store)...but maybe I missed something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Lion will NOT fit on a 4GB as some have stated. When you Partition a 4GB GUID, the GUID partition takes up just a few MB over what is needed to restore Lion to the drive and there is not enough room by about 10MB! I and others had to use an 8GB drive which as you know is a few $$$ more. Unless on the Flash Drive install they shrunk the install files by 10-20MB!
Hey...I guess it's up to Apple what size USB stick they use...obviously Lion will have to fit on the USB stick they distribute it on...because an internet connection is not supposed to be required to upgrade to Lion from the USB stick. Maybe Apple has some sort of "super duper" compression scheme that allows it to fit on a smaller USB stick. Of course if Apple has to use an 8gig USB Stick (as you detailed)...that would increase costs.

I was also trying to come up with some sort of logical justification why Apple is charging so much more for the Lion USB Stick ($69.99) versus the Lion download ($29.99). And thought "maybe" if someone was able to upgrade from Leopard (OS 10.5)...then Apple may be "sneaking" all or part of the cost of a Snow Leopard disk into the cost of the Lion USB Stick upgrade. So either way (upgrading from 10.5 or 10.6 to 10.7)...a user is paying for the 10.6 upgrade.

Again...I was just thinking out-loud when I saw the Lion USB Stick availability. I'm sure we'll hear more details soon.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Just give it a day or two. Someone will buy one, try to install it on a Mac with Lion and post on here about it. Or a blogger will try it and we'll see it show up in the Rumors-Reports forum.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I made a USB and installed it over a Leopard SuperDuper Backup. Did a clean install and works seamlessly.
Not sure if it will be any different than the Apple ThumbDrive ??
So to answer Nick atm it can be installed without Lion. Worked just like the DVD did. Using DU to erase then installed after that.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Just give it a day or two. Someone will buy one, try to install it on a Mac with Lion and post on here about it. Or a blogger will try it and we'll see it show up in the Rumors-Reports forum.
You're absolutely right...this is what I'm expecting as well. We will see.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I'm curious to find out with the release of Lion USB stick...will the OS 10.6.8 requirement for Lion still be a requirement (if upgrading from the Lion USB Stick).
I doubt it. I'm sure the 10.6.8 requirement is only if you get it through the MAS. That's not to mention that Lion installed on my machine "without" 10.6.8 installed (I formatted my drive before installing it and the Lion installer didn't seem to care that it was being installed on a drive with no OS).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
I made a USB and installed it over a Leopard SuperDuper Backup. Did a clean install and works seamlessly.
Exactly what I was thinking. I couldn't remember seeing anything specific why Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) was required...other than that you needed the "Mac App Store" which is only available on more recent updates of Snow Leopard.

Since the Mac App Store or an internet connection is not needed to upgrade to Lion with the Lion USB Stick...I couldn't logically see a reason to need Snow Leopard (unless again I missed a small detail somewhere). Thus I was contemplating the possibility that someone could update to Lion from Leopard.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Thus I was contemplating the possibility that someone could update to Lion from Leopard.

- Nick

Yea i see where your coming from. But remember we had a similar debate over the Leopard to SL and if you could install SL over Tiger which now we know is possible. Im not the programmer but unless they have a piece of code to tell it not to, like you i couldn't see why (and now know) it can be done.

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I doubt it. I'm sure the 10.6.8 requirement is only if you get it through the MAS. That's not to mention that Lion installed on my machine "without" 10.6.8 installed (I formatted my drive before installing it and the Lion installer didn't seem to care that it was being installed on a drive with no OS).
Very interesting Vansmith. That would seem to be a "test" that would verify that SL is not "technically" required to install Lion. SL was just needed (prior to the release of the Lion USB Stick) to be able to download Lion from the Mac App Store.

Of course in terms of cost $$$ (as I sort of outlined above)...at $69.99 for the Lion USB Stick...folks with Leopard (who could have upgraded to SL previously) are not really saving any cash versus folks who did upgrade to SL...and are now downloading Lion for $29.99.

In many situations...mostly an academic discussion.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Yea i see where your coming from. But remember we had a similar debate over the Leopard to SL and if you could install SL over Tiger which now we know is possible. Im not the programmer but unless they have a piece of code to tell it not to, like you i couldn't see why (and now know) it can be done.

Cheers
Who knows. Maybe this discussion is so far ahead of the curve...that maybe there will be some sort of EULA statement (in regards to the Lion USB Stick)...that will say that Snow Leopard IS required before updating to Lion.

Or maybe the $69.99 price for the Lion USB Stick already takes care of that (the cost of SL already built into the cost of the Lion USB Stick)...if upgrading from Leopard.

Just one more theory. Maybe the primary purpose (or one of the primary purposes) of the Lion USB Stick is for people who want to upgrade from Leopard to Lion directly (without the hassle of installing Snow Leopard prior to Lion). At $69.99...these folks in a way...are still sort of paying for Snow Leopard (versus the $29.99 price for the downloaded Lion version).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Just one more theory. Maybe the primary purpose (or one of the primary purposes) of the Lion USB Stick is for people who want to upgrade from Leopard to Lion directly (without the hassle of installing Snow Leopard prior to Lion). At $69.99...these folks in a way...are still sort of paying for Snow Leopard (versus the $29.99 price for the downloaded Lion version).

- Nick
I like that theory.
Will watch this space.

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I like that theory.
Will watch this space.

Cheers
I'm going to "shut-up" now...and see what sort of info develops throughout the internet in the next few days!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Very interesting Vansmith. That would seem to be a "test" that would verify that SL is not "technically" required to install Lion. SL was just needed (prior to the release of the Lion USB Stick) to be able to download Lion from the Mac App Store.
I'm glad this was the case since otherwise, you'd have to install SL first before installing Lion in every situation (new HDs, reinstalls, etc.). Talk about a pain!

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible iPhone 5 proximity sensor emerges with differences | Analyst: Apple will make a low-cost iPhone if it's 'killer' »