New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Lion USB sticks now available

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I'm going to "shut-up" now...and see what sort of info develops throughout the internet in the next few days!

- Nick
haha Yes we don't like to speculate now do we

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

Well unless Apple wants to have to sell SL for the life of Lion, they will have to offer a way to buy Lion as a full install. Do you realy see an apple store keeping SL arround or telling someone they need to buy a used copy of SL to upgrade to Lion

The Lion USB $69 is the full non upgrade version the way I see it.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Debunk: Lion USB sticks are not yet available -- Engadget

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

be nice if they were bootable.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Hey...I was just thinking off the top of my head. I didn't remember seeing any other specific detail requiring SL for Lion (other than 10.6.8 to get the Mac App Store)...but maybe I missed something.
Nick, I think either you took my post wrong or the wording in the first sentence was a bit off. I was backing you and adding a few other things. I agree with you!

Quote:
Hey...I guess it's up to Apple what size USB stick they use...obviously Lion will have to fit on the USB stick they distribute it on...because an internet connection is not supposed to be required to upgrade to Lion from the USB stick. Maybe Apple has some sort of "super duper" compression scheme that allows it to fit on a smaller USB stick. Of course if Apple has to use an 8gig USB Stick (as you detailed)...that would increase costs.

I was also trying to come up with some sort of logical justification why Apple is charging so much more for the Lion USB Stick ($69.99) versus the Lion download ($29.99). And thought "maybe" if someone was able to upgrade from Leopard (OS 10.5)...then Apple may be "sneaking" all or part of the cost of a Snow Leopard disk into the cost of the Lion USB Stick upgrade. So either way (upgrading from 10.5 or 10.6 to 10.7)...a user is paying for the 10.6 upgrade.

Again...I was just thinking out-loud when I saw the Lion USB Stick availability. I'm sure we'll hear more details soon.

- Nick
Again, I agree with you and just was filling in a few blanks since I installed from a USB Stick here on all my machines.

Time will tell what Apple does and good guess on possible compression so it will fit.

Edit, Nick I re-read my post and the first line was worded wrong. Tried to clean it up. I was agreeing that with the App store version you need SL to download it from the app store and default is Upgrade.

I am sure the memory stick version will easily allow a clean install as you do not need to download it and have SL installed for the App store. Hope that clears it up. I agree with you!
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Where can one find said USB stick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engadget
Update: Engadget says it has learned that the "recovery media" referred to in AppleCare documents is in fact a specific restoration tool for AppleCare workers. The view is is so far backed by checking Apple's website, which has yet to show Lion for order online except through the Mac App Store. The company has stated it will ship Lion on USB sticks sometime this month.
I see pigoo beat me to it.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Nick, I think either you took my post wrong or the wording in the first sentence was a bit off. I was backing you and adding a few other things. I agree with you!

Again, I agree with you and just was filling in a few blanks since I installed from a USB Stick here on all my machines.

Time will tell what Apple does and good guess on possible compression so it will fit.

Edit, Nick I re-read my post and the first line was worded wrong. Tried to clean it up. I was agreeing that with the App store version you need SL to download it from the app store and default is Upgrade.

I am sure the memory stick version will easily allow a clean install as you do not need to download it and have SL installed for the App store. Hope that clears it up. I agree with you!
Everything's good. We shall see (hopefully soon) how the whole Lion USB Stick & upgrading works. Maybe what's been suggested/theorized in this thread so far is totally wrong, totally right, or somewhere in between.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible iPhone 5 proximity sensor emerges with differences | Analyst: Apple will make a low-cost iPhone if it's 'killer' »