New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Google letter criticizes Apple, Microsoft patent hunts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I'm sure the Moto employees that come with the deal are just thrilled about this one.

EDIT: Google might end up with an Anti-Trust investigation of it's own out of this too:

http://allthingsd.com/20110815/googl...ors-to-action/

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

I find it funny that in that entire article the word "antitrust" is only written once, in brief reference to the existing small business complaints in Europe and Microsoft's crying that no one wants to use Bing. Not so much of an argument being made for the possibility as general whining about Google in that article.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
I find it funny that in that entire article the word "antitrust" is only written once, in brief reference to the existing small business complaints in Europe and Microsoft's crying that no one wants to use Bing. Not so much of an argument being made for the possibility as general whining about Google in that article.
Did you read the article or were you just looking for one word? If all you were looking for was that word then that's a pretty narrow view. The other investigations by the FTC, talked about in the second paragraph, could all spell trouble for Google when coupled with the acquisition of Motos buisness. By themselves they would likely amount to nothing more than an investigation. Yeah, there is some whining about Google in there, but at least it wasn't done by a CEO.

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

The article's title suggests that it is about the possibility of new antitrust regulatory actions against Google. It doesn't bother even attempting to make any such case, and as such the dissonance between the title and the article is amusing. I'm not sure why you're being so sensitive about this.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're being so sensitive about this.
I'm not particularly sensitive, but at this point I'm trying to figure out why you seem to be a Google apologist all the time.

The article was somewhat in line with the thread and I didn't see any harm in posting another POV. You may disagree and that's fine.

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

I suppose I would appear to be a Google or Samsung apologist to someone that appears to be an Apple apologist with regards to the ridiculous patent lawsuits flying around. But we've been over that difference of opinion before, I'm pretty sure.

I never said there was any harm in posting the article; I was stating something I found funny about it. I assume you wanted people to give their opinions on the article if you posted it.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
I suppose I would appear to be a Google or Samsung apologist to someone that appears to be an Apple apologist with regards to the ridiculous patent lawsuits flying around. But we've been over that difference of opinion before, I'm pretty sure.

Have you looked at the name of the forums you're posting on here? This surprises you?

I have no problems with opinions, and while I agree with you on the article title the over all point of the article seems to have been lost on you.

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Actually, one of the things I've always liked about these forums is that the people here are diverse and pretty reasonable - not brand-blinded Apple fanboys. Pointing to the name like that to justify your personal views and biases is demeaning to the forums and community as a whole, in my opinion.

And the point wasn't lost on me; any time someone makes a big acquisition, there have to be investigations - and with Google's size and pending investigations, as well as the size of this acquisition, it is even more important than usual in this case. I was pointing out the humor in the poorly picked title and to a lesser extent the poor quality of the article, one of which you seem to agree with me on anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Actually, one of the things I've always liked about these forums is that the people here are diverse and pretty reasonable - not brand-blinded Apple fanboys. Pointing to the name like that to justify your personal views and biases is demeaning to the forums and community as a whole, in my opinion.
To an extent yes. Then again, we wouldn't be here if we weren't fans to start with, would we.

Quote:
And the point wasn't lost on me; any time someone makes a big acquisition, there have to be investigations - and with Google's size and pending investigations, as well as the size of this acquisition, it is even more important than usual in this case. I was pointing out the humor in the poorly picked title and to a lesser extent the poor quality of the article, one of which you seem to agree with me on anyway.
Well, that wasn't apparent in your initial post. I don't agree on the "poor quality of the article" over all, it just comes across that you don't like it because it expresses an opposing view which you dislike. Sour grapes if you will. Your further comments can be seen as an attack on me if one were to choose to interpret them as such. Apparently I'm just a mindless fan boy. But hey, maybe I'm just being sensitive here....

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

I'm sorry you didn't understand my meaning, then. And I didn't imply anything about your biases until after you accused me of not reading the article and claimed I appeared to be a Google apologist. Now you're putting words in my mouth, saying I called you a mindless fanboy, probably personalizing my comparison of this website's community to those of most Apple-centric websites (not to you). If this is the direction you want to take this discussion, I'll take the opportunity to bow out now.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
I'm sorry you didn't understand my meaning, then. And I didn't imply anything about your biases until after you accused me of not reading the article and claimed I appeared to be a Google apologist. Now you're putting words in my mouth, saying I called you a mindless fanboy, probably personalizing my comparison of this website's community to those of most Apple-centric websites (not to you). If this is the direction you want to take this discussion, I'll take the opportunity to bow out now.
You can bow out as you please. It still remains that you tend to come across as a Google apologist regardless of how you choose to label me. If you keep that up you are only going to continue to face criticism in a place like this. You alluded to me as a "mindless fan-boy" in an indirect manner but I am by no means putting any words in your mouth, your intent was pretty clear.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple may add DisplayPort to its new mobile chips for iOS devices | The Size Of Apple's New Spaceship Campus in Cupertino »