New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Safari browser growth outpaces Chrome in July

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Safari browser growth outpaces Chrome in July

Quote:
Apple's Safari browser is gaining usage share dramatically, with its largest increase ever during the month of July. Net Applications provides metrics on a regular basis showing how various web browsers are faring in terms of usage, and the July figures showed Safari being used by 8.1 percent of all web users.

That's the largest single increase in a single month for Safari, with iOS devices making up more than a third of the usage for the browser. Safari's growth rate even beat Google's Chrome in July -- Safari's share jumped .6 percent for the month, while Chrome grew at only a .3 percent rate.

Safari has shown continued growth for 17 months straight, while Microsoft's Internet Explorer has been declining. IE still has the lion's share (no pun intended) of the browser market at 52.8%, but has shown solid declines for quite some time. Internet Explorer 9, the latest in the IE family of browsers, is showing continued growth as more businesses adopt Windows 7, but the overall browser share for IE is declining.

Firefox and Opera are also showing declining usage share, with Opera down to a measly 1.7% share -- about where it was in late 2007. Safari still has a long way to go to be on top of the heap, but the gains it is making show that Apple's strength in mobile devices and recent growth in Mac sales is also having a positive effect on Safari's usage.

For a detailed dive into the data, take a look at Net Applications' browser statistics.

Safari browser growth outpaces Chrome in July originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Mon, 01 Aug 2011 13:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source*|*Permalink*|*Email this*|*Comments
Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It's not fair to include the iOS version of Safari in this measure since I'm willing to bet good money that the mobile version of Opera isn't included. I say that because I know for a fact that Opera has a huge mobile user base which would definitely give it a greater market share than what is reported there. I don't know the number of Opera Mobile/Mini users but they do have the largest market share (source).

It's interesting to note that a new release of Safari could slow down the rapid growth of Chrome but a new version of Firefox could not. Firefox 4 for instance was released in March and that didn't seem to affect Chrome's growth (I would have used FF5 here but FF4 had much more hype before the release).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Is Opera mini the mobile version of Opera?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Don't hate the player van, hate the game.

Google's coming for your poutine.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post

In addition to this sage advice...it does appear that Opera mini is captured in these statistics. What I can't tell is how IOS Safari is included.

I'll take some of that "good" money...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post

Can I just hate everything? It might be easier that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
In addition to this sage advice...it does appear that Opera mini is captured in these statistics. What I can't tell is how IOS Safari is included.

I'll take some of that "good" money...
Ah! I would give you some of that "good" money but for some reason it seems that Safari and MobileSafari are grouped together while the Opera browsers are not (if they were, Opera's market share would be a whopping 2.9%). They also only counted Opera Mini and not Opera Mobile (they are in fact two different versions). So, no, you can't have my money because they didn't count the mobile versions of Opera into the "Opera" value.

I imagine MobileSafari was counted like other browsers and had that market share simply added to the Safari one.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Ah! I would give you some of that "good" money but for some reason it seems that Safari and MobileSafari are grouped together while the Opera browsers are not (if they were, Opera's market share would be a whopping 2.9%). They also only counted Opera Mini and not Opera Mobile (they are in fact two different versions). So, no, you can't have my money because they didn't count the mobile versions of Opera into the "Opera" value.

I imagine MobileSafari was counted like other browsers and had that market share simply added to the Safari one.
Well - the point was - they didn't forget your mobile version, nor does it change the word 'measly'. What I can't find explicitly stated anywhere is that Mobile Safari has been rolled up. I agree that it's certainly a logical assumption, but you'd think, given the nature of the other metrics they've captured, that they would make a distinction at least at the breakdown level. Maybe it's in the pay to view area...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Well - the point was - they didn't forget your mobile version, nor does it change the word 'measly'.
They forgot one of the mobile versions. And, as I've already established, adding in the Mini versions makes the market share jump from measly to whopping. Don't question that logic - it's flawless.

Quote:
What I can't find explicitly stated anywhere is that Mobile Safari has been rolled up. I agree that it's certainly a logical assumption, but you'd think, given the nature of the other metrics they've captured, that they would make a distinction at least at the breakdown level. Maybe it's in the pay to view area...
I'm with you there. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the breakdown for the month of July (full list here) which is interesting because they list other mobile browsers (BB, Opera Mini and...wait for it...MS Pocket Internet Explorer). If it is included in the Safari figure, why do they differentiate other mobile browsers that have desktop equivalents (such as Opera and IE)?

Ooooh, there's a browser called "Danger Web Browser." I'll have to look into that, haha.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post

Ooooh, there's a browser called "Danger Web Browser." I'll have to look into that, haha.
Well - there must be quite a few browsers out there we haven't heard of - according to their FAQ they track around 300 versions.

Quote:
What browser versions does Net Market Share track and report?

We report on all browser versions that have measurable market share, which is currently about 300. We also report on all major browser editions (browsers based on extending Internet Explorer or Firefox, for example).
Pretty soon you'll be in here as the Danger Browser "evangelist"...

You'd also think that since they do have breakdowns by OS and mobile platforms that they would segment Mobile Safari. I still can't find it anywhere.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 Mac mini - 10.10.1

Anybody here use Android? Because last I knew, the browser on it wasn't called "Chrome".

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.1
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10.1
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

It's called "Browser," not Chrome.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« US Retailers Begin To Reduce iPhone 4 Prices | iCloud Storage: International & Competitor Pricing Comparison »