07-26-2011, 02:56 PM #1Hackinations: 5 really good Lion tweaks
Hackinations: 5 really good Lion tweaks
Lion. We love the OS. We hate a few tiny details. Here are five extremely handy Lion tweaks that can improve your day-to-day use. Enable each by typing the supplied commands into Terminal.
1. Turn off those #*%(ing zooming windows Launch Safari or TextEdit and then hit Command-N a few times. Do you see how the new windows fly or "zoom" into place? You can disable that with this elegant tweak from TUAW reader Ryan Hauk. First, open Terminal and type the following:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO
Finally, quit and restart whatever app you're looking to de-zoomify. You do not have to set the defaults more than once, but the apps won't pick up the new setting until their next launch.
2. Enable key autorepeat. You won't be able to use those cool iOS-inspired, press-hold-and-select-an-accented-character feature, but you'll get back thissssssssssssssssss. Courtesy of belchak.com.
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false
Interestingly, you can set this preference on a per-application basis. So you can enable key-repeat for, say, TextEdit but not for Safari by using e.g. com.apple.TextEdit instead of the global domain.
3. Make your ~/Library folder visible. This removes its hidden flag, so you don't have to keep using the option-key from the Finder's Go menu.
chflags nohidden ~/Library/
4. Disable spelling correction. When you want to be able to refer to "nethack" or "Megs" without it being autocorrected to "netback" and "Mess"
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticSpellingCorrectionEnabled -bool NO
5. Mandate scrollbars. Let scrollbars become a permanent part of your windowing experience.
defaults write -g AppleShowScrollBars -string Always
6. Add back the Finder's size information. (Via TUAW reader 1TallTXn) Open a Finder Window and use Command-/. Presto
Have you found more good prefs? Let us know in the comments! Some good places to check are the Preferences folders (global and local), the HIToolbox, and Core Services.
Hackinations: 5 really good Lion tweaks originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Piggie in forum OS X - Apps and GamesReplies: 0Last Post: 08-13-2012, 05:55 PM
By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and ReportsReplies: 8Last Post: 08-10-2011, 09:09 AM
By FuzzyStorm14 in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 9Last Post: 07-22-2011, 07:09 PM