New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple patent may signal new iBooks abilities, more

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Apple patent may signal new iBooks abilities, more

Quote:
Imagine a phrasebook on an iPhone where touching a word brings up the same word in a user's native language, or a children's book where touching a character name shows a picture or video of that character. Apple has submitted a patent that would let apps have this ability backed right into the OS and much more, according to a report from Patently Apple. The idea, if patented, could also have commercial implications....

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

This sounds awesome!! I think this will definitely help with children that are learning to read as it will help them with the visualization of what a particular word is.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

This is Apple's way of education...much like the Mac was a choice (and still is) for school computer labs across the country. I like the idea.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I think supplemental learning tools can be useful sometimes. I just hope people find a balance when using tools like this. It's a great idea - don't get me wrong - I just see the dangers in too much tech too soon. Is it any wonder everyone's attention spans are getting short... ooh, what's that shiny thing over there?!

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
. . . .I just hope people find a balance when using tools like this. It's a great idea - don't get me wrong - I just see the dangers in too much tech too soon. Is it any wonder everyone's attention spans are getting short... ooh, what's that shiny thing over there?!
I do agree with this, but have to be realistic as well with the way the world is going with technology, in the next generation they will be a younger child than today that has the access to this sort of thing.

I really think there needs to be things put in lace NOW within the education system to stem the advance of technology in the pre schools and Kindergartens ?? What im tyring to say is Old School teaching worked/is working why change it ?? How young is too young ??
Ill probably get burnt for saying this though lol

Then again anything that helps a child learn is a good thing. Will it aide in a child's learning ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
I do agree with this, but have to be realistic as well with the way the world is going with technology, in the next generation they will be a younger child than today that has the access to this sort of thing.

I really think there needs to be things put in lace NOW within the education system to stem the advance of technology in the pre schools and Kindergartens ?? What im tyring to say is Old School teaching worked/is working why change it ?? How young is too young ??
Ill probably get burnt for saying this though lol

Then again anything that helps a child learn is a good thing. Will it aide in a child's learning ??
Yes, there has to be a balance. That is the key. Introduce television and internet and mobile phones to your children slowly and not right away. Wait a couple of years, for goodness sake. They have plenty of time to turn into inconsiderate, socially-inept, distracted d-bags later in life. Lord knows none of us need help in that department. *rolls eyes*
What is a better learn-to-read tool? Mom/Dad+Books or an iPad? Keep technology in its place. I might sound paranoid, but so did those who were among the first to say that cigarettes were harmful to your health.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Not paranoid mate. My nearly 8yr old son has a PS2 and iPodtouch and he is only allowed to play either of them on the weekends. Im slowly introducing him to computers having set up the iMac for him just so he can understand the controls and how a computer works bc i know if he doesnt know that in a cpl yrs he will of gotten left behind . . . . That balance is a hard thing to get right as long as we dont fall for the "oh but Johnny has one" lol

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Ecgțeow

Ecgțeow is on a distinguished road

Maybe now they can get voice over to read a book with the screen locked. Perhaps if they're quiet and sneaky, the writers' guild won't notice
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

Quote:
Not paranoid mate. My nearly 8yr old son has a PS2 and iPodtouch and he is only allowed to play either of them on the weekends. Im slowly introducing him to computers having set up the iMac for him just so he can understand the controls and how a computer works bc i know if he doesnt know that in a cpl yrs he will of gotten left behind . . . . That balance is a hard thing to get right as long as we dont fall for the "oh but Johnny has one" lol
Totally agree. I guess we just need to get it ingrained early on that toys/video games/electronics are fine, but there's other priorities. When I was a kid I had to wait until all my homework and chores got finished before I could even consider playing games, or even going out to play in the yard. Parents these days are complete pushovers that cave too easily when their kids start whining about stuff.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcompane View Post
Parents these days are complete pushovers that cave too easily when their kids start whining about stuff.
I agree. I had a friend that amongst other things, i was appalled at the way he was bringing up his 2 boys. They dont do any sport, after school activities, dont have a big social circle (they both have acknowledged social problems) all bc when they get too much he shoves them in front of the computer games (currently 76 Xbox 360 games, 24 PS3 games and i cant even count the number on there NintendoDS). It is so wrong to the extent of child Abuse.

Children these days are forgetting how to be kids and that is sad. I had 10 000 Acres to run around on when i grew up on a farm, and i was only home through the week just so i could attend school. Weekends where me and friends treating the farm as one big adventure. I miss those days lol

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Weekends where me and friends treating the farm as one big adventure. I miss those days lol

Cheers
I miss those days too and I'm still in my early 20's!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Tweaks Could Turn Apple TV Into A Game-Playing, Video-Chatting, Multimedia Supers | Apple accounted for one-fifth of all US retail sales growth in Q1 2011 »