Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    OneMoreThing...'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2005
    Posts
    2,708
    Post Apple patent may signal new iBooks abilities, more
    Apple patent may signal new iBooks abilities, more

    Imagine a phrasebook on an iPhone where touching a word brings up the same word in a user's native language, or a children's book where touching a character name shows a picture or video of that character. Apple has submitted a patent that would let apps have this ability backed right into the OS and much more, according to a report from Patently Apple. The idea, if patented, could also have commercial implications....

    Read more

  2. #2

    ezcompane's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 27, 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    298
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
    This sounds awesome!! I think this will definitely help with children that are learning to read as it will help them with the visualization of what a particular word is.
    LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
    2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora

  3. #3

    Chris H.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 03, 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,641
    This is Apple's way of education...much like the Mac was a choice (and still is) for school computer labs across the country. I like the idea.
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9.3
     Mac mini early 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
     MacBook unibody/white late 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

  4. #4

    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,625
    Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    I think supplemental learning tools can be useful sometimes. I just hope people find a balance when using tools like this. It's a great idea - don't get me wrong - I just see the dangers in too much tech too soon. Is it any wonder everyone's attention spans are getting short... ooh, what's that shiny thing over there?!
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

    Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

  5. #5

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    . . . .I just hope people find a balance when using tools like this. It's a great idea - don't get me wrong - I just see the dangers in too much tech too soon. Is it any wonder everyone's attention spans are getting short... ooh, what's that shiny thing over there?!
    I do agree with this, but have to be realistic as well with the way the world is going with technology, in the next generation they will be a younger child than today that has the access to this sort of thing.

    I really think there needs to be things put in lace NOW within the education system to stem the advance of technology in the pre schools and Kindergartens ?? What im tyring to say is Old School teaching worked/is working why change it ?? How young is too young ??
    Ill probably get burnt for saying this though lol

    Then again anything that helps a child learn is a good thing. Will it aide in a child's learning ??
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  6. #6

    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,625
    Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    I do agree with this, but have to be realistic as well with the way the world is going with technology, in the next generation they will be a younger child than today that has the access to this sort of thing.

    I really think there needs to be things put in lace NOW within the education system to stem the advance of technology in the pre schools and Kindergartens ?? What im tyring to say is Old School teaching worked/is working why change it ?? How young is too young ??
    Ill probably get burnt for saying this though lol

    Then again anything that helps a child learn is a good thing. Will it aide in a child's learning ??
    Yes, there has to be a balance. That is the key. Introduce television and internet and mobile phones to your children slowly and not right away. Wait a couple of years, for goodness sake. They have plenty of time to turn into inconsiderate, socially-inept, distracted d-bags later in life. Lord knows none of us need help in that department. *rolls eyes*
    What is a better learn-to-read tool? Mom/Dad+Books or an iPad? Keep technology in its place. I might sound paranoid, but so did those who were among the first to say that cigarettes were harmful to your health.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

    Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

  7. #7

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Not paranoid mate. My nearly 8yr old son has a PS2 and iPodtouch and he is only allowed to play either of them on the weekends. Im slowly introducing him to computers having set up the iMac for him just so he can understand the controls and how a computer works bc i know if he doesnt know that in a cpl yrs he will of gotten left behind . . . . That balance is a hard thing to get right as long as we dont fall for the "oh but Johnny has one" lol
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Feb 06, 2010
    Posts
    129
    Maybe now they can get voice over to read a book with the screen locked. Perhaps if they're quiet and sneaky, the writers' guild won't notice

  9. #9

    ezcompane's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 27, 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    298
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Not paranoid mate. My nearly 8yr old son has a PS2 and iPodtouch and he is only allowed to play either of them on the weekends. Im slowly introducing him to computers having set up the iMac for him just so he can understand the controls and how a computer works bc i know if he doesnt know that in a cpl yrs he will of gotten left behind . . . . That balance is a hard thing to get right as long as we dont fall for the "oh but Johnny has one" lol
    Totally agree. I guess we just need to get it ingrained early on that toys/video games/electronics are fine, but there's other priorities. When I was a kid I had to wait until all my homework and chores got finished before I could even consider playing games, or even going out to play in the yard. Parents these days are complete pushovers that cave too easily when their kids start whining about stuff.
    LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
    2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora

  10. #10

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by ezcompane View Post
    Parents these days are complete pushovers that cave too easily when their kids start whining about stuff.
    I agree. I had a friend that amongst other things, i was appalled at the way he was bringing up his 2 boys. They dont do any sport, after school activities, dont have a big social circle (they both have acknowledged social problems) all bc when they get too much he shoves them in front of the computer games (currently 76 Xbox 360 games, 24 PS3 games and i cant even count the number on there NintendoDS). It is so wrong to the extent of child Abuse.

    Children these days are forgetting how to be kids and that is sad. I had 10 000 Acres to run around on when i grew up on a farm, and i was only home through the week just so i could attend school. Weekends where me and friends treating the farm as one big adventure. I miss those days lol

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  11. #11

    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,079
    Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Weekends where me and friends treating the farm as one big adventure. I miss those days lol

    Cheers
    I miss those days too and I'm still in my early 20's!
    ôIf you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.ö Marcus Aurelius

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Apple reveals iBooks 2, iBooks Author at NYC education event
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 06:27 PM
  2. The future of multitouch - Apple Patent
    By the8thark in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 08:05 AM
  3. Apple's Mad Men are focused on Tracking You (New Apple Patent)
    By the8thark in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 08:28 PM
  4. Apple iglasses - Patent idea
    By the8thark in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 11:56 PM
  5. Interesting Apple Patent.
    By Mattlike in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 09:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •