New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Why Verizon killed its unlimited plans

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Why Verizon killed its unlimited plans

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

The "why" should be dead obvious. To reduce congestion/overhead from the heaviest users while raking in extra fees from overage charges.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I heard on the news last night that 95% of Verizon customers use less than 2GB data a month. Based on that, I don't really think they are worried about congestion. The unlimited thing was to bring in customers and now they're ending it to make money. Same as AT&T did.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

About the only thing that this has done for me is to remove any doubt I had before about not wanting to subscribe to a data plan.

Simply put... no thanks, not interested. Next.

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

To make more money.

I am in the UK, but very happy to be on a PAYG deal, not a fixed contract
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

What do you mean they are doing this for money? All the Verizon fanboys had me believing Big Red was so altruistic and only ever did what's best for the customer???

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

I can't fathom why anyone would willingly be a Verizon fanboy based solely on their business practices. They even charge extra for visual voicemail. >.>
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
I can't fathom why anyone would willingly be a Verizon fanboy based solely on their business practices. They even charge extra for visual voicemail. >.>
We have a ton here, especially before Big Red got the iPhone.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Seriously????? I know they're renown for nickle-and-diming every little thing, so I shouldn't be surprised.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

I think the title should read why a lack of true competition here in the States killed unlimited plans. This is why I hope the AT&T merger with T-Mobile doesn't go through. If the competition were fierce here in the States then both Verizon and AT&T wouldn't dare drop a feature that's so popular with customers.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Seriously????? I know they're renown for nickle-and-diming every little thing, so I shouldn't be surprised.
They do... it's the reason I've been toying with the idea of using Google Voice for my voicemail (Droid X user on VZW).
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
I think the title should read why a lack of true competition here in the States killed unlimited plans. This is why I hope the AT&T merger with T-Mobile doesn't go through. If the competition were fierce here in the States then both Verizon and AT&T wouldn't dare drop a feature that's so popular with customers.
I really wish T-Mobile was a long-term viable company that could exist on their own. The sad fact is that they're a distant #4 without the money or spectrum to move to 4G and are bleeding subscribers.

If AT&T doesn't buy them, they'll eventually just fold at the rate things are going for them.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
They do... it's the reason I've been toying with the idea of using Google Voice for my voicemail (Droid X user on VZW).
Ooooooh… you have a Droid. Visual Voicemail is free for iPhone users. Or so I'm reading.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I really wish T-Mobile was a long-term viable company that could exist on their own. The sad fact is that they're a distant #4 without the money or spectrum to move to 4G and are bleeding subscribers.

If AT&T doesn't buy them, they'll eventually just fold at the rate things are going for them.
Agreed. And really, when looking at the huge disparity between T-Mobile's plans and AT&T/Verizon's plans, T-Mo just isn't really seen as a competitor by them, or at least an irrelevant one. Personally I hope the merger goes through with significant concessions requiring AT&T lease out bandwidth to MVNOs so deals can still be had. At the moment, I believe all the GSM MVNOs use T-Mobile's towers for service because AT&T won't do it. If the merger doesn't go through and T-Mobile simply "dies" (or gets merged with Sprint instead), then we have nothing to gain at all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New lawsuit accuses Missouri Apple Store of race bias | Rumor: Apple may release 'iPad 2 Plus' with high-res display this year »