New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Amazon now 'very engaged' in music talks to catch Apple

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Amazon now 'very engaged' in music talks to catch Apple

Quote:
A seeming off-hand reference after repeating leaks of Amazon's tablet plans has revealed that Amazon is back into negotiations to improve Cloud Player. The company is "very engaged" with music labels to go beyond the upload-only service it launched with before. Progress and the nature of the services weren't mentioned to AllThingsD's sources for the claim....

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Mess with the bull, get the horns.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Both on 10.9.2 ~ iPhone5 iOS 7.1 ~ iPad Mini 7.1 ~ ATV2 6.0.1

Behind the 8ball yet again !!!!

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
"Can't innovate any more, my ***" Phil Schiller
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I don't get why Amazon is so adamant about this industry. Just do what you do, because the only thing you are dominate in is online book sales. Let the people who deal with music take care of real music sales. If you can offer better deals, than do it, otherwise, it is what it is. That's just my opinion. This can go for the new tablet they are going to release.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

^ I wonder what Steve Jobs would have said to that statement back in the late 90s, when Apple Computer, Inc. was devising the iPod, and shortly after, the iTunes Music Store.

Musing aside, Amazon's adamant about sales. Period. Their original claim to fame may have been books, but the true "killer app" that Amazon offered to the world was a ground-breaking Internet sales engine. Today, I shop at Amazon for everything, not just books, because they provide the best shopping experience of any site on the web. And anything that promises to keep users like me shopping in the Amazon "mall" is something they're going to be interested in offering. And why not?

Moreover, given Amazon's involvement with eBooks, one has to ask: is an mp3 really so different than a ePub file? Seems to me that, if you're going to offer electronic merchandise, you might as well sell it all.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
I don't get why Amazon is so adamant about this industry. Just do what you do, because the only thing you are dominate in is online book sales.
This is so untrue. Beyond retail sales, Amazon is also one of, or maybe the largest, supplier of on demand cloud computing options. It's a master at infrastructure and also licenses its store technology. They're probably one of the nets most unsung tech powerhouses.

Quote:
Let the people who deal with music take care of real music sales. If you can offer better deals, than do it, otherwise, it is what it is.
Actually they already offer better pricing and often way better album prices than iTunes normally.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Amazon is awesome, go right ahead, I say.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Apple,amazon, and Volkswagen are my favorite companies. I really like amazon for buying things, apple for their design and ease of use, and Volkswagen because of how simple and fun they are.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitjetta View Post
...and Volkswagen because of how simple and fun they are.
OK, not to hijack this thread, but have you looked under the hood of one? "Simple" is not how I'd describe a semi-modern VW.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
OK, not to hijack this thread, but have you looked under the hood of one? "Simple" is not how I'd describe a semi-modern VW.
I don't think any automobile is simple. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I don't think any automobile is simple. >_<"
Oh, you've never seen just how convoluted a VW engineer can make a car.

Try changing a tail light on one sometime. On an ordinary car, you'd give the bulb receptacle a quarter-turn, release it from the housing and pop the bulb out and pop a new one in. On a VW, the owner's manual tells you to take it to the dealer. If you're brave enough to risk it, the process includes removal of a backplane, retained by 18 tabs. Once you've got that out, try to figure out the sequence of twists, turns and tabs to get the 1 out of 7 bulbs you need to replace (and hope you identified the right one). On a Japanese or American car, it's a 2 minute affair - on a VW, it's a half hour, easy.

I once saw a Passat wherein the VW brainiacs decided that they wanted to install the engine in the standard longitudinal fashion (as opposed to transverse, like nearly every other FWD 4-cylinder car on the planet). In order to accomplish this, they had to have the exhaust manifold right next to the air intake (in other words, the worst possible position to put it in). So, they installed a tremendous heat shield to try to keep the intake air as cool as possible, but in doing so, they couldn't make the air filter housing accessible. So, where changing an air filter in most FWD 4-cylinder cars can be done by a trained chimp, on the Passat, you'd better devote the afternoon to painstakingly disassembling the engine bay.

I always thought I might like to own one someday - a number of them are very attractive, but I was steered away by my more mechanically inclined friends. Now I know why.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Oh, you've never seen just how convoluted a VW engineer can make a car.

Try changing a tail light on one sometime. On an ordinary car, you'd give the bulb receptacle a quarter-turn, release it from the housing and pop the bulb out and pop a new one in. On a VW, the owner's manual tells you to take it to the dealer. If you're brave enough to risk it, the process includes removal of a backplane, retained by 18 tabs. Once you've got that out, try to figure out the sequence of twists, turns and tabs to get the 1 out of 7 bulbs you need to replace (and hope you identified the right one). On a Japanese or American car, it's a 2 minute affair - on a VW, it's a half hour, easy.

I once saw a Passat wherein the VW brainiacs decided that they wanted to install the engine in the standard longitudinal fashion (as opposed to transverse, like nearly every other FWD 4-cylinder car on the planet). In order to accomplish this, they had to have the exhaust manifold right next to the air intake (in other words, the worst possible position to put it in). So, they installed a tremendous heat shield to try to keep the intake air as cool as possible, but in doing so, they couldn't make the air filter housing accessible. So, where changing an air filter in most FWD 4-cylinder cars can be done by a trained chimp, on the Passat, you'd better devote the afternoon to painstakingly disassembling the engine bay.

I always thought I might like to own one someday - a number of them are very attractive, but I was steered away by my more mechanically inclined friends. Now I know why.
Trust me I know what you are talking about. I use to have a VW Jetta. VW likes to make things difficult. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Crimson, fwiw, I can't even add my own window washer fluid.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
I don't get why Amazon is so adamant about this industry. Just do what you do, because the only thing you are dominate in is online book sales. Let the people who deal with music take care of real music sales. If you can offer better deals, than do it, otherwise, it is what it is. That's just my opinion. This can go for the new tablet they are going to release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikarnov View Post
^ I wonder what Steve Jobs would have said to that statement back in the late 90s, when Apple Computer, Inc. was devising the iPod, and shortly after, the iTunes Music Store.
Quoted for truth. Don't underestimate a company with capital, technology and expertise.

Amazon entered the cloud market and has an estimated 90,000 virtual servers on one coast alone (source). Think back to two months ago when Amazon had the significant outage - that made the tech news for a reason. Even NASA uses it to, "support the Mars rovers, deep space exploration, public outreach, lunar mapping and modeling, air born missions, and a lunar rover project" (source). I think you've established yourself as a tech powerhouse when you've reached the point where NASA depends on you for its Mars exploration program.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Amazon needs to engaged bugs out of their uploading software. I had to delete more than 100 duplicates from my cloud account!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rovio Hires Iron Man 2 Executive Producer For Angry Birds Movies | Apple Expected To Surpass HP In Global Portable PC Shipments In 2012 »