New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

1Password 3.6 adds Lion support, drops Leopard/PowerPCs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

1Password 3.6 adds Lion support, drops Leopard/PowerPCs

Quote:
1Password 3.6 is out now with a plethora of changes. Most notably, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is now supported while OS X 10.5 Leopard and PowerPC support has been dropped.

David Chartier writes that the number of 1Password customers who are using Leopard or a PowerPC-based Mac has fallen into the single digits. Dropping Leopard/PowerPC support enables developers to shrink 1Password's size by 12 percent.

Chartier told TUAW that AgileBits looked into adopting Snow Leopard features such as Grand Central Dispatch in January 2010. The Snow Leopard features make it easier to do things under the hood, having a big impact on user-end experience, but essentially weren't possible with Leopard.

AgileBits co-founders made the final decision to pull Leopard support after consulting with the rest of the team, including support personnel and developers. Chartier said that less than six percent of 1Password users are on Leopard.

Leopard users can download an older version of 1Password as needed.

Lion support, on the other hand, means that 1Password will be compatible with the OS from the day it's available in the Mac App Store. The Safari extension also received an update to match it to the Chrome extension that debuted in November.

Other changes to 1Password include:
  • Adds support for Firefox 5 while dropping support for Firefox 3.
  • Adds support for Fluid
  • Adds support for the upcoming Dropbox 1.2
  • Changed the About page to reflect the company's name change to AgileBits.
  • Removed Camino extension
  • Can use Amazon CloudFront as an alternate download location
  • A number of other bug fixes and changes
1Password 3.6 for Mac requires OS X 10.6 or higher. A single-user license is US$39.99 and a family license is $59.99. Upgrade pricing varies, depending on the original date of purchase. A free trial is available.

1Password 3.6 adds Lion support, drops Leopard/PowerPCs originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source*|*Permalink*|*Email this*|*Comments
Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Not sure I agree with them dropping support for Leopard. I realize that when Lion goes public, Leopard will be two OS versions back, however, there are many folks still using Leopard. I suppose it really won't have that much of an impact since the older version of 1Password will continue to work with Leopard. Just no updates.
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
however, there are many folks still using Leopard.
I probably feel this way because I do web design and groan every time Microsoft rolls out the old "We can't break the Internet" nonsense as an excuse for why Internet Explorer can't properly render standards compliant code, but this is one part of the Apple ecosystem that I really appreciate. Advance or be left behind. And if you don't want to advance, that's fine, but you won't be holding back the rest of the world either.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Not sure I agree with them dropping support for Leopard. I realize that when Lion goes public, Leopard will be two OS versions back, however, there are many folks still using Leopard. I suppose it really won't have that much of an impact since the older version of 1Password will continue to work with Leopard. Just no updates.
I'm with you on that one. I understand the decision to drop PPC support but dropping Leopard support this soon is a bit much. I don't necessarily think you need to support three versions of an OS but I also don't think you need to drop support right out of the gate. If they decide to drop Leopard, so be it but don't do it right away. At a minimum, give Lion some time to 'establish' itself and then drop Lion.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Charlie I believe that is what precisely Apple will do as there was not much tenderness for PPC users when Snow Leopard launched. And Tiger was dropped when two versions old cutting out all the under 867MHz market.

Selling new machines is the main thrust of new operating systems alas.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I'm with you on that one. I understand the decision to drop PPC support but dropping Leopard support this soon is a bit much. I don't necessarily think you need to support three versions of an OS but I also don't think you need to drop support right out of the gate. If they decide to drop Leopard, so be it but don't do it right away. At a minimum, give Lion some time to 'establish' itself and then drop Lion.
I'm not sure dropping Lion would be the best strategy either...but what do I know
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Van, you meant Give Lion a chance to catch on then drop Leopard support right?

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

No way, I meant support Lion and then drop it right away!

See, I've transcended spelling mistakes and have moved on to bigger and better things - mistaking words for other words.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I thought you bought an iPad at first and Auto Correct was hitting you!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

No, my brain is just taking what is right and 'fixing' it to make it wrong.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That was good Van. Ever think about getting into politics?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

My guess is that the type of people that use 1Password are also likely to be up to date with their operating systems.

Most normal users will be fine with the built-in autofill or "same password everywhere" methods and it's mostly geeky types that know to use auto-generated passwords everywhere…

It'll cause waves, but I expect the actual impact on their userbase will be negligible.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Not sure I agree with them dropping support for Leopard. I realize that when Lion goes public, Leopard will be two OS versions back, however, there are many folks still using Leopard.
Evidently not, as use of 1Password (which has been a very popular app for some time now) on Leopard has fallen into single digits. It's anecdotal evidence, but as an indicator of savvy users and Snow Leopard I'd say it's pretty convincing.

This is in line with the stats Apple periodically reports and my own experience -- there's a lot of people that were using Leopard a year after Snow Leopard came out, but two years on? Without any major transition issues? Not so much.

Basically everyone who's on an Intel Mac -- apart from a pretty small minority -- has moved up. The "Leopard/Tiger" base (despite the number of posts we might see about it in a troubleshooting forum like this one) is now basically comprised of people who still have pre-2007 Macs, and that's got to be a pretty small number and getting smaller every day.

ISTR that at last year's WWDC (not this most recent one), the percentage of the base that were on Snow Leopard was well over 50 percent. And that was over a year ago.
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Evidently not, as use of 1Password (which has been a very popular app for some time now) on Leopard has fallen into single digits. It's anecdotal evidence, but as an indicator of savvy users and Snow Leopard I'd say it's pretty convincing.
I used 1Password until I decided to beta test FireFox 4, at which point 1Password promptly broke -- which wasn't unexpected. What was unexpected was that that it took them forever to come out with a replacement extension. In comparison, all of my other extensions were back online within a day or two after each new release.

Eventually I got tired of looking up my passwords -- and even more tired of dealing with all the Firefox features the Mozilla team was screwing up -- and switched to Safari. But by that point, it was too late for 1Password...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
That was good Van. Ever think about getting into politics?
I'll keep it in mind as a good fallback career .

Quote:
It might be an indicator of savvy users but you're forgetting the significant portion of non-savvy users and the portion of more "advanced" users such as myself who couldn't care less about 1Password. 1Password doesn't have anywhere near the market penetration to be indicative of anything when you consider the entire Mac userbase.

Quote:
Basically everyone who's on an Intel Mac -- apart from a pretty small minority -- has moved up. The "Leopard/Tiger" base (despite the number of posts we might see about it in a troubleshooting forum like this one) is now basically comprised of people who still have pre-2007 Macs, and that's got to be a pretty small number and getting smaller every day.
Not in my experience. I would suggest that the vast majority of non-savvy users who had a machine ship with Leopard are still running it since it supports most software (few pieces of software are SL only). Perhaps this is a difference of Mac users you know compared to the ones I do but I'm willing to bet that there is a much larger group than a "pretty small minority" still on Leopard.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple squeezing PC rivals trying to use lith-poly batteries | Legal Disclaimer In iOS 5 Further Hints At Apple Mapping Service »