New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple Patent Aims to Shut Down iPhone Camera Recording in Venues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Apple Patent Aims to Shut Down iPhone Camera Recording in Venues

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

<sigh> I really hope Apple starts to remember who their customers are. The mere idea that Apple is colluding with 3rd parties to enable them to control [parts of] a device which I bought and paid for is beyond the pale.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.1-MacMini3,1:10.9.1-iPhone6,1:7.0.4

Perhaps this is their way of encouraging jail breaking?
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

^ More likely it's their way of encouraging Android adoption.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

It's ok, it's ok. This will be a new magical feature! Just wash, rinse and repeat.... You'll all love it! (my sardonic grin is akin to the Joker's right now, sorry)

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I don't care as long as it is something that can be turned on/off by the venue. I understand and don't mind a band or a movie theater not wanting their show to be recorded. I just hope it doesn't think my nephew's school play qualifies as "a venue".

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
andymac2210

andymac2210 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
I don't care as long as it is something that can be turned on/off by the venue. I understand and don't mind a band or a movie theater not wanting their show to be recorded. I just hope it doesn't think my nephew's school play qualifies as "a venue".

Is this post a joke?

If someone wants to break the law and record something, or even just record a 20 second clip to show their friends then it's their business.

Like the previous poster said, it's laughable that they'd collude with whatever record computer or venue to reach into a device YOU OWN and limit it's functionality.
What if I just want to film my friends and I happen to be at a rock concert?
Oh I can't, because big brother apple and co. fortune 500 company decided there was an outside chance it'd affect them in a monetary sense.

I love apple products, but I won't buy another iPhone if this is adopted, not because I film stuff in venues when I'm not meant to (because I don't), but because of the principle of the matter.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Why dont you just turn off the mobile internet so that it doesnt know you are at the venue?

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Just filing a patent doesn't mean Apple intend to use it, it means they're reserving it so nobody else can bring it out.

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

As long as they don't remove my ability to bring up my 'bic' app - and wave it during the slow songs.

If they're going to get this creative - I'd rather see them figure out a way to disable texting or surfing FB while in a moving car.
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I heard about this yesterday and the word irritated would be an understatement. I really hope they don't put it into use. Apple makes the superior product overall in my opinion, and I would hate having to switch to Android over this, and I would. This goes far beyond outside the "control the user experience to better it" concept.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.1-MacMini3,1:10.9.1-iPhone6,1:7.0.4

"Plusgoodful patent!"

Your Nanny State has been replaced by Nanny, Corp. Polish up on your Newspeak. I find it humorous that the trend seems to be towards putting cameras everywhere, except when it involves citizens recording anything, or even possibly recording things. Government and companies seem to be getting most of the mileage out of the video industry and it's weaponization.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I have never recorded a performance at a "venue" and never intend to, but I like others here, would regard this as infringement on my personal rights. It is my device, I paid for it, and it is up to me to operate it in accordance with local laws and customs.
Jail breaking has no attraction for me but I would jail break rather than accept that level of outside control/interference with my property.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
Silverado

Silverado is on a distinguished road

As others have stated, this is far too Orwellian for my liking. The only thing that's "Insanely Great" is liberty.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
Why dont you just turn off the mobile internet so that it doesnt know you are at the venue?
That is what I was going to say
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro may get special processor, Mac mini price may drop | Intel Confirms Sandy Bridge ULV Processors, Likely For New MacBook Airs »