New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iCloud Communications Sues Apple Over iCloud Trademark

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

iCloud Communications Sues Apple Over iCloud Trademark

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
iHarrison

iHarrison can only hope to improve

Oh, nonsense! Anything with "i" on the front looks inherently Apple, anyway... In a sense, it's their own fault for choosing that name!

The only service I can think of with a name like that which people know isn't Apple-owned is the BBC iPlayer, and I'm fairly sure that was the first online service with that sort of name, so they beat Apple to the punch there!

Besides, Apple & the BBC are in bed together anyway
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

I don't know. On the one hand, your point abides that Apple pretty much owns the "i" prefix, but at the same time, that wasn't always the case. I remember the craze in the 90s and early 2000s to name everything "i" and it seems a little disingenuous to imply that any company should change its name because Apple decides it wants to steal it, or is at fault for selecting a name that Apple might, some day, choose to use.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

Damaging to the company?? Funny, besides Apple's iCloud service, I've never heard of iCloud Communications....if anything, it's putting them in the spotlight...possibly in a negative way.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

It's like a Mom and Pop store going up against Walmart. To be honest, they (iCloud Comm) probably won't win this.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Um, there's not much Apple can do if the name is already trademarked and owned. It doesn't matter how much people associate a lower case "i" with Apple. Law is law, and Apple is not beyond that as such. If I had to guess, I'd say that Apple will try and settle out of court and possibly purchase the name, at the very least.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHarrison View Post
Oh, nonsense! Anything with "i" on the front looks inherently Apple, anyway... In a sense, it's their own fault for choosing that name!

The only service I can think of with a name like that which people know isn't Apple-owned is the BBC iPlayer, and I'm fairly sure that was the first online service with that sort of name, so they beat Apple to the punch there!

Besides, Apple & the BBC are in bed together anyway
Hyundai the Korean car makers have their own models all prefixed 'í'-'

Wonder if they have iPod connectors on the dash...

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Damaging to the company?? Funny, besides Apple's iCloud service, I've never heard of iCloud Communications....if anything, it's putting them in the spotlight...possibly in a negative way.
Just because you never heard of them is irrelevant. Maybe you're not their primary target audience. For all we know, in spite of offering the token program for residential use, they could be a power player in the business world, quietly operating behind the scenes, the hidden foundation to other companies' visible high rises. We just don't know enough to make a determination either way.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I suspect this will be settled quickly and quietly, just as it was when Cisco went after Apple over their use of the iPhone name.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff Dias

Jeff Dias is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD

In some way, it doesn`t matter what court rules are, since Apple partially released ICloud, they won`t change the name and will do whatever it takes to get the right to use ICloud, at least that`s what I`d do.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dias View Post
In some way, it doesn`t matter what court rules are, since Apple partially released ICloud, they won`t change the name and will do whatever it takes to get the right to use ICloud, at least that`s what I`d do.
But it actually does matter, and it matter's what iCloud Communications decides to do. If they don't budge, and the judge rules in their favor (which is most likely), Apple would have no choice but to change the name.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

I have a feeling it will come down to whether or not each company has the right to the holdings of the "i" and the "cloud" part of their name. As others reports have said,iCloud Communications has nothing to do with "cloud" storage, and is only a name. Just because they have a patent for the name, doesn't mean it can't be turned around.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I suspect this will be settled quickly and quietly, just as it was when Cisco went after Apple over their use of the iPhone name.
Yeah...if iCloud Communications is found to be in the right legally...nothing like a nice BIG FAT check $$$ from Apple to "smooth" things out!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff Dias

Jeff Dias is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD

I totally agree with you pigoo3, Apple won`t let go the name ICloud that easy, they will do offers and agreements with the before the judge suspects! and don`t know about you guys, I love the name Icloud, sounds good!
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
As others reports have said,iCloud Communications has nothing to do with "cloud" storage, and is only a name.
Storage is only one form of cloud computing. VOIP, which iCloud Communications specializes in, is another.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Double-resolution iPad images in iOS 5 beta rekindle speculation on iPad 3 display | Next-gen graphics processor for Apple's iPhone, iPad now being licensed »