Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post iCloud Communications Sues Apple Over iCloud Trademark

Oh, nonsense! Anything with "i" on the front looks inherently Apple, anyway... In a sense, it's their own fault for choosing that name!

The only service I can think of with a name like that which people know isn't Apple-owned is the BBC iPlayer, and I'm fairly sure that was the first online service with that sort of name, so they beat Apple to the punch there!

Besides, Apple & the BBC are in bed together anyway

I don't know. On the one hand, your point abides that Apple pretty much owns the "i" prefix, but at the same time, that wasn't always the case. I remember the craze in the 90s and early 2000s to name everything "i" and it seems a little disingenuous to imply that any company should change its name because Apple decides it wants to steal it, or is at fault for selecting a name that Apple might, some day, choose to use.

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Damaging to the company?? Funny, besides Apple's iCloud service, I've never heard of iCloud Communications....if anything, it's putting them in the spotlight...possibly in a negative way.
    If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. Marcus Aurelius

It's like a Mom and Pop store going up against Walmart. To be honest, they (iCloud Comm) probably won't win this.
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9.3
     Mac mini early 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
     MacBook unibody/white late 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

Specs:
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Um, there's not much Apple can do if the name is already trademarked and owned. It doesn't matter how much people associate a lower case "i" with Apple. Law is law, and Apple is not beyond that as such. If I had to guess, I'd say that Apple will try and settle out of court and possibly purchase the name, at the very least.

Doug

Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
    Specs:
    iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
    Quote Originally Posted by iHarrison View Post
    Oh, nonsense! Anything with "i" on the front looks inherently Apple, anyway... In a sense, it's their own fault for choosing that name!

The only service I can think of with a name like that which people know isn't Apple-owned is the BBC iPlayer, and I'm fairly sure that was the first online service with that sort of name, so they beat Apple to the punch there!

Besides, Apple & the BBC are in bed together anyway
    Hyundai the Korean car makers have their own models all prefixed ''-'

Wonder if they have iPod connectors on the dash...
    Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?

Quote Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
    Damaging to the company?? Funny, besides Apple's iCloud service, I've never heard of iCloud Communications....if anything, it's putting them in the spotlight...possibly in a negative way.
    Just because you never heard of them is irrelevant. Maybe you're not their primary target audience. For all we know, in spite of offering the token program for residential use, they could be a power player in the business world, quietly operating behind the scenes, the hidden foundation to other companies' visible high rises. We just don't know enough to make a determination either way.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I suspect this will be settled quickly and quietly, just as it was when Cisco went after Apple over their use of the iPhone name.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD
    In some way, it doesn`t matter what court rules are, since Apple partially released ICloud, they won`t change the name and will do whatever it takes to get the right to use ICloud, at least that`s what I`d do.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dias View Post
    In some way, it doesn`t matter what court rules are, since Apple partially released ICloud, they won`t change the name and will do whatever it takes to get the right to use ICloud, at least that`s what I`d do.
    But it actually does matter, and it matter's what iCloud Communications decides to do. If they don't budge, and the judge rules in their favor (which is most likely), Apple would have no choice but to change the name.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    I have a feeling it will come down to whether or not each company has the right to the holdings of the "i" and the "cloud" part of their name. As others reports have said,iCloud Communications has nothing to do with "cloud" storage, and is only a name. Just because they have a patent for the name, doesn't mean it can't be turned around.
    If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. Marcus Aurelius

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I suspect this will be settled quickly and quietly, just as it was when Cisco went after Apple over their use of the iPhone name.
    Yeah...if iCloud Communications is found to be in the right legally...nothing like a nice BIG FAT check $$$ from Apple to "smooth" things out!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD
    I totally agree with you pigoo3, Apple won`t let go the name ICloud that easy, they will do offers and agreements with the before the judge suspects! and don`t know about you guys, I love the name Icloud, sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
    As others reports have said,iCloud Communications has nothing to do with "cloud" storage, and is only a name.
    Storage is only one form of cloud computing. VOIP, which iCloud Communications specializes in, is another.

Thread Information