New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Verizon iPhone not ready for iCloud sneak peek

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Verizon iPhone not ready for iCloud sneak peek

Quote:
When Apple announced iCloud yesterday, there was the usual excitement over a new Apple service, but sadly said service wouldn't be rolling out until the fall. However, Apple also announced an iCloud sneak peak via iTunes 10.3 and iOS 4.3.3 which allows users to download past purchases and try out automatic downloads. Sadly though, Verizon iPhone users have been left out in the cold.

Verizon iPhones still run iOS 4.2.8, which isn't compatible with the iCloud preview. No one knows why iOS on a Verizon iPhone lags behind iOS on an AT&T iPhone, but it does. Do you have a Verizon iPhone? Not to worry. Though Apple hasn't made an official announcement, you can bet they are working to bring parity which should allow Verizon iPhone users to preview iCloud as well. The only question now is when they'll release the compatible iOS update for Verizon users.

Verizon iPhone not ready for iCloud sneak peek originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 07 Jun 2011 14:45:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source*|*Permalink*|*Email this*|*Comments
Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Thanks for the post Bot! I was getting ready to start a thread with this question. I can confirm though that if you do make a purchase on a Verizon iPhone that the iPod touch and the iPad get the song from the cloud like they should.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Another big issue with Verizon getting iCloud is the fact it can't do voice and data at the same time. Probably adds a lot of complexity to a constantly syncing cloud solution.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Another big issue with Verizon getting iCloud is the fact it can't do voice and data at the same time. Probably adds a lot of complexity to a constantly syncing cloud solution.
For me personally I don't see the data/voice issue to be too big of a deal. You would have to be doing quite a bit of talk and data tasks to really notice.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I wish I could take my VZW iPhone back.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
I wish I could take my VZW iPhone back.
What issues are you running into, or things you wish were different?

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I Just find it interesting that all the "verizon is so much better, the world will be perfect if Verizon had the iPhone" talk that went on for years certainly has died down after Verizon actually got the iPhone.

I just can't help but wonder if reality has finally sunk in and people are realizing that really the grass isn't always greener?

QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
What issues are you running into, or things you wish were different?
Nothing. I'm just really adamant about getting my iOS updates along with ATT customers.

One of the comments in the article seem on the right track, Verizon may very well be blocking the updates too. But Apple wouldn't release an update that could be anyway worse than an Android one.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
Nothing. I'm just really adamant about getting my iOS updates along with ATT customers.

One of the comments in the article seem on the right track, Verizon may very well be blocking the updates too. But Apple wouldn't release an update that could be anyway worse than an Android one.
Agreed! I wanted 4.3 to get the home share option as I use that quite a bit with my other iOS devices. I hope that they don't leave the VZW users in the dark until iOS 5, but I have a feeling that they will. I'm looking at it as they have a lot on the fire right now, so why work on another 4.x flavor for Verizon users.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Big Red is still the red headed step child.....

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

I'm reading a lot of griping about how the iPhone hardware is now fragmented because VZW iPhones run 4.2.8 and AT&T iPhones run 4.3.3.

It's not that fragmented as Android, is it? I don't think it is. And I'm sure the VZW iPhone will be able to get iOS 5 at the same time as the AT&T iPhone.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.1
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.1
 Mac mini Server m10 - OS X 10.9.3
 MacBook Uni l09 - OS X 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

It's user griping, not dev griping, that's the difference between the iOS difference and Android difference.

Androids fragmentation actually hurts developers and makes the platform more difficult. Apple's iOS version difference just involves a few features for users, it doesn't affect development.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Releases iMac Graphic Firmware Update 2.0 | FaceTime to support 3G connections in iOS 5? »