New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

How to burn a Lion boot disc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

How to burn a Lion boot disc

Quote:
Mac OS X Lion will debut in July and this handy set of instructions from Egg Freckles will let you create a boot disc for installation. OS X Lion will be distributed via the Mac App Store and you can download the installer files to your hard drive. Once you have the installer files, follow these steps to create your very own boot disc:
  • Use Finder to locate the Mac OS X Lion installer, right-click and select "Show Package Contents"
  • Find the SharedSupport folder and look for a file names "InstallESD.dmg". This is the Lion Boot Disc image.
  • Copy the "InstallESD.dmg" file to another folder such as your desktop.
  • Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button
  • Select the "InstallESD.dmg" copy as the image to burn, insert a DVD, and in a few minutes you will have a brand new Lion Boot Disc.
These instructions won't do much for everyone right now since OS X Lion is still in the hands of the developers. Bookmark, Evernote or Instapaper this post for future use. You'll be glad you did when Lion rolls out next month.

How to burn a Lion boot disc originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 07 Jun 2011 13:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source*|*Permalink*|*Email this*|*Comments
Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

And there we have it ........

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Seems to me that the big question is: Is this just a boot disc for DR purposes, or will it contain the full contents of Lion, so it can be completely installed even without an Internet connection?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Somehow it still doesn't feel the same. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Somehow it still doesn't feel the same. >_<"
That's what a lot of people said about purchasing albums from iTunes. I'm one of them. I prefer to have the CD case in my hand. I like the feeling of opening the impossible shrink-wrap. It's an "experience".

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Still stinks for me. Due to the crap connection I have here in Alaska it will take me 2 weeks to download Lion

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Just thought of something else.
Completely hypothetical for now, but it makes me wonder if a new Mac purchased after Lion is released in July will come with an install DVD. Or is Lion to be pre-installed on all new Macs after July? Hmm...

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
Still stinks for me. Due to the crap connection I have here in Alaska it will take me 2 weeks to download Lion
Apple is forgetting about people you don't have access to fast internet connections. I'm hoping they will provide a DVD mailed to you if requested.

I am glad to hear we can make a bootable DVD ourselves and hopefully it's the full Lion that doesn't need access to the internet for installation as Shikarnov has pointed out.
QUOTE Thanks
Acrilyc

Acrilyc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB

That's very good to know! D:
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

whenever I see the Lion I think "JohnCL" instantly

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Apple is forgetting about people you don't have access to fast internet connections. I'm hoping they will provide a DVD mailed to you if requested.

I am glad to hear we can make a bootable DVD ourselves and hopefully it's the full Lion that doesn't need access to the internet for installation as Shikarnov has pointed out.
I'd rather a USB drive like the Airs have. Installs so much faster. I'll be creating a USB installer instead of burning it to a DVD when I get Lion.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I'd rather a USB drive like the Airs have. Installs so much faster. I'll be creating a USB installer instead of burning it to a DVD when I get Lion.
Me too. Hopefully there will be instructions posted on how to do this with a regular thumb drive.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I think this needs to be a sticky already.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I vote for Sticky, especially with particulars on a bootable USB drive, since I've never done one.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I would rather use USB drives too but the article didn't mention it so I didn't want to make assumptions. Macs can be picky about which DVDs work in the optical drives so USB would hopefully be more reliable. My MacBook Pro can't even read the OS DVD that came with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple backs down on in-app subscription pricing | Banned apps back from beyond with iCloud »