New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

MacDefender malware targeting Mac users

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Mac owners usually have little to worry about in terms of computer viruses and spyware, but a new malware attack seems to be causing issues for some users.

According to a report on The Next Web, a specialized malware attack targeting Mac users is making the rounds. Users seem to be targeted as they are browsing Google Images, with one victim reporting that he suddenly received a message stating that his machine had been infected with viruses that only a "MacDefender" application could remove. There is a MacDefender website that highlights a few shareware apps that a dedicated geocacher has written, and the site's owner is warning people to not download the malware app.

The malware appears to be targeting Safari. The browser can be configured so that it will automatically open trusted software, and that appears to be the route of attack that's being used. While the MacDefender malware isn't infecting Macs with a virus or running a keylogger in the background, the author seems to be trying to scare users into providing credit card information by buying the software.

The Next Web provided some useful hints on how to protect yourself from the malware and to remove the pesky app if it is downloaded onto your Mac. If you aren't seeing MacDefender in your Applications folder, you can protect yourself from possible infiltration by unchecking the "Open 'safe' files after downloading" box at the bottom of Safari > Preferences > General (see the area outlined in red in the image above).

If MacDefender is already on your Mac, check out the next page for tips on how to remove it.

Continue reading MacDefender malware targeting Mac users

MacDefender malware targeting Mac users originally appeared on TUAW on Mon, 02 May 2011 13:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source*|*Permalink*|*Email this*|*Comments
Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
thekilierdonut

thekilierdonut is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.

It can pop up on Firefox as well - tried to force a download on me yesterday while browsing Google images.

Mid 2010 MBP 2.53 GHz i5, 4GB RAM || iPhone 4 16 GB iOS 4.3 (not jailbroken) || Amazon Kindle (graphite display) || HP Netbook running Win7 or Ubuntu || Various iPods
*Macintosh, MACintosh, or M.A.C.intosh. Which one looks correct? *
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I'm surprised this hasn't cropped up sooner. Safari has always had this hole I think. This technique wouldn't fool experienced users, but surely is a threat to the less savvy and computer illiterate out there. I think it would be wise for Apple to take a bit of control here, and at the very least, reverse the default option so that anything perceived as "friendly" isn't downloaded without warning or consent. At least...

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
papamidnight

papamidnight is on a distinguished road

This happened to my brothers macbook pro yesterday.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekilierdonut View Post
It can pop up on Firefox as well - tried to force a download on me yesterday while browsing Google images.
Ah, but did it execute? Because on Safari (with the aforementioned setting turned on), it will. Downloading is one thing, but actually running and showing up for the user out of the blue, is quite another.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
thekilierdonut

thekilierdonut is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Ah, but did it execute? Because on Safari (with the aforementioned setting turned on), it will. Downloading is one thing, but actually running and showing up for the user out of the blue, is quite another.
No - does not execute in Firefox. I just did a cursory check of my computer to make sure nothing ugly got installed (old Windows habit...) and then went on about my business

Mid 2010 MBP 2.53 GHz i5, 4GB RAM || iPhone 4 16 GB iOS 4.3 (not jailbroken) || Amazon Kindle (graphite display) || HP Netbook running Win7 or Ubuntu || Various iPods
*Macintosh, MACintosh, or M.A.C.intosh. Which one looks correct? *
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

More information about MacDefender here:

The Mac Security Blog Intego Security Memo

New 'MACDefender' Malware Threat for Mac OS X - Mac Rumors

It's important to understand that MacDefender does not install spyware, it is not a virus, and it does not damage your Macintosh in any way.

Basically all that it does is encourage you to purchase non-existent anti-virus software, and in that way the sociopaths who wrote the program harvest your credit card data.

Though MacDefender can automatically download itself from the Web to your Mac, and the Installer for MacDefender can automatically launch, it still can't install itself without you giving it your administrator password. So...don't give any software installer program your administrator password unless you intended to install something and you know exactly what it is.

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
Though MacDefender can automatically download itself from the Web to your Mac, and the Installer for MacDefender can automatically launch, it still can't install itself without you giving it your administrator password. So...don't give any software installer program your administrator password unless you intended to install something and you know exactly what it is.
This one doesn't require an admin password, or so our users are telling us. That would limit its effects to the scope of the user's account, but it's still troubling as even that (very good) advice wouldn't have prevented the installation of this one.

EDIT: Never mind. Just saw this thing in action, and indeed it does require an admin password to complete the install. Perhaps the user misinterpreted what I was asking them.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 Mac mini - 10.10.1

Haven't seen it yet. I hope I never do (then again, I don't have a credit card so what does it matter?)

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.1
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10.1
QUOTE Thanks
Cheesehead7

Cheesehead7 is on a distinguished road

This happened to me today. Hope I got rid of it.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 Mac mini - 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead7 View Post
This happened to me today. Hope I got rid of it.

Well, did you seek and destroy?

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.1
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10.1
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "Inside Apple" Reveals Steve Jobs Anecdotes, Apple's Little Known Facts | Amazon Cloud Player Now Works with iOS Safari »