New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

AT&T tells unofficial tethering users it will upgrade plans

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

AT&T tells unofficial tethering users it will upgrade plans

Quote:
AT&T has sent out a second SMS warning to subscribers it believes are illegally tethering their phones, and this one contains a more stern message. The carrier has told these users they will soon be automatically upgraded and billed for its tethering plan, which includes 4GB and raises monthly data plans by $20 to $45. AT&T's basic plans only include on-device Internet access and messaging....

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Automatic renewal? Hah....SO illegal! This won't last long. EVery new policy requires approval of your new contract. This is no different.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Automatic renewal? Hah....SO illegal! This won't last long. EVery new policy requires approval of your new contract. This is no different.
Actually that's not true. This isn't core to the contract, data is considered an add-on service. Same way that when they change the price of SMS messages it doesn't void a contract.

They can always opt-out of the tethering plan, but they'll also need to stop the illegal tethering or it will be added back on. Their not forced into anything that isn't preventable by a behavioral change.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Additionally, AT&T could argue that those illicitly tethering violated the terms of their contract and thus it is within their right to modify as they see fit. I'm sure there's a provision in the contract that states this.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

Actually, I just looked all over my contract, and it says nothing about them having the right to modify anything without you approval. There are laws against that to protect the consumer. If this plan was existent at ATT from the get-go, then it would be okay for them to charge the user for "unofficially" using the tethering feature.

How is a data package not a core package when you are required to purchase some sort of plan when activating an iphone? It isn't an add-on service, it is a requirement on the iphone...unless I got it wrong all along, and didn't realize you could get an iphone without a data package.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Actually, I just looked all over my contract, and it says nothing about them having the right to modify anything without you approval. There are laws against that to protect the consumer. If this plan was existent at ATT from the get-go, then it would be okay for them to charge the user for "unofficially" using the tethering feature.

How is a data package not a core package when you are required to purchase some sort of plan when activating an iphone? It isn't an add-on service, it is a requirement on the iphone...unless I got it wrong all along, and didn't realize you could get an iphone without a data package.
You can't but it is not considered part of AT&Ts core service. The requirement is part of the iPhone "package" you sign up for when you purchase the iPhone.

Just an FYI, IIRC Kash is in Law School and will likely thrive on a legal discussion in relation to this subject.

Carry on.

QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

I wonder how they can tell when a user is tethering... Is it just a matter of noticing the higher volume that they often purport those who tether use?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikarnov View Post
I wonder how they can tell when a user is tethering... Is it just a matter of noticing the higher volume that they often purport those who tether use?
Higher volume and type of data. A mobile browser pulls different info than a desktop based one does. If they are looking atyou specifically they can probably tell exactly what browser is being used so if it's not a mobile browser it might be obviouse.

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

I don't know...I can see the argument going both ways. You can change what they charge you for, but the customer also has a chance to rebuttal.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

They can tell:
what type of machine is being used, and whether it's a PPC or Intel Mac, Windows, iPad, iPhone, etc.
what OS and version - whether that's 10.3, 10.5, Win 98, Win NT, Win 7, iOS, Android
what browser and version, IE, WebKit, Mozilla...

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
They can tell:
what type of machine is being used, and whether it's a PPC or Intel Mac, Windows, iPad, iPhone, etc.
what OS and version - whether that's 10.3, 10.5, Win 98, Win NT, Win 7, iOS, Android
My understanding is some tethering options available via Cydia appear to AT&T to simply be the phone's normal connection. I'm interested to see if that is no the case, or if this just affects other apps that are used for tethering.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris1111

Chris1111 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
They can tell:
Wow, if they can see all of that then I don't see how anybody gets away with tethering.

I was thinking about jailbreaking my iphone 4 just for the free tethering because I thought it'd be super useful, but I really haven't been in a situation where I've needed it yet so I've stayed away from doing it. Anything I would need to look at on my laptop I can just look at on my iphone.
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

On a political note: I have to wonder when the lawyers are going to start challenging AT&T's tethering cost. I mean, the water company couldn't charge you more per gallon if you decided to fill your pool instead of bathe your toddler. Contracts be dammed, this just isn't right.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Personally, I don't think they should be able to force charge for it. IMHO You should be able to use your phone and its data package for whatever you want. Whether you're using data via software on the phone itself or through the phone to a computer.

I just don't think that any phone company should be able to double charge you for a service (like data) - and that's how I see what a tethering package is (especially if you're a long standing customer that still has unlimited data - assuming they haven't found a way to rip that away from existing customers)..

It's not like you get better service with the tethering package and the only reason why they are doing this now is because the new iOS HAS a tethering feature in it vs before when it didn't and they couldn't attempt to force it on you. If they had in the past threatened to block or throttle data usage based upon if they believe you to be tethering, I could see how they could justify this easily, but the only reason they are doing it now is because they want to force you to buy their product even if it isn't really worth it (IMHO).

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I mean, the water company couldn't charge you more per gallon if you decided to fill your pool instead of bathe your toddler.
I can tell you don't live in Texas!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS X Lion to feature iOS-like 'jiggling' app unistaller | Apple releases iOS 4.3.3 with fixes for location database controversy »