Post Amazon responds to Apple's 'App Store' lawsuit
    Amazon responds to Apple's 'App Store' lawsuit

In March Apple filed a lawsuit against Amazon ,alleging the Internet giant had violated Apple's trademark by using the term "App Store" in its Android-based Amazon Appstore. "Amazon has unlawfully used the App Store mark to solicit software developers throughout the United States," Apple said in a statement, and noted that they tried contacting Amazon several times about the infringement but Amazon repeatedly failed to "provide a substantive response."

Now GeekWire reports that Amazon has filed an official response to the matter. Following in Microsoft's footsteps, Amazon is asserting that the term "app store" is generic and is therefore not a valid trademark. Amazon even cites Steve Jobs in their defense, quoting him from an earlier financial conference call where he used "app stores" in a generic sense. For those of you who like these kinds of lawsuits, you can read Amazon's filling here [PDF].

If the courts agree with these statements right away, the case could be dismissed quickly. But Apple likely has defenses already lined up for this opening salvo, so this is likely only the beginning of the arguments over the term.

Amazon responds to Apple's 'App Store' lawsuit originally appeared on TUAW on Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source*|*Permalink*|*Email this*|*Comments
    Read more

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I agree. "App Store" is just so generic. People have referred to applications as "apps" for as long as I can remember. I could see if it was something more Apple-specific like "iApp Store" (just an example), but if I was the judge presiding here, I'd throw it out.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Modesto, Ca.
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    iApp store. Maybe Apple should call their store that.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I second (or third) "iApp Store". It would fit 's iOS device nomenclature.
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9 Beta
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9 Beta
     Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.5
     MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.11 Beta

MBP 13" & iPod Touch
    "iApp Store" -> nice compromise!

Corporate bigwigs and their pr and egos....ill never ever understand it. I mean i am all for lawsuits when they are necessary, however in this particular case i think that apple is being a bit of baby. Makes more sense concentrating efforts on other value added activities rather than this

Thread Information