New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Mac OS X Lion sporting 1024x1024 icons, 3200x2000 wallpapers; Retina display Macs com

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Mac OS X Lion sporting 1024x1024 icons, 3200x2000 wallpapers; Retina display Macs coming?

Quote:

MacMagazine.com.br has posted an interesting find. Apparently the latest build of Lion includes some icons which are sized at 1024x1024. That's twice the current 512x512 size of icons in Snow Leopard (four times the pixel count, but 2x larger in each dimension). Additionally, on April 2nd, Mac blog OSXDaily found some of the default wallpaper resolutions in Lion to be as large as 3200?2000 pixels.

These wallpaper and icon size increases are interesting because, as far as the wallpaper resolution goes, Apple currently does not make a display that supports that high of a pixel density. Given the fact that Apple is bumping up its icon and wallpaper sizes, it could point to a future where Macs sport high-density Retina displays.

Indeed, MacRumors points out that Apple has built in support for HiDPI display modes in Lion. "These HiDPI modes allow developers to supply 2x-enlarged images to support double-high resolution displays," according to MacRumors. "Like the iPhone 4's Retina Display, this means that user interface elements will remain the same size, but everything will be twice the resolution and, therefore, twice as detailed."

Mac OS X Lion sporting 1024x1024 icons, 3200x2000 wallpapers; Retina display Macs coming? originally appeared on TUAW on Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source*|*Permalink*|*Email this*|*Comments
Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
macguy90

macguy90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor

Sounds pretty sweet to me!

 MacBook Air 13'' (2013) 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7
 iPad 4 (16GB) White
 AT&T iPhone 5 (32GB) Black
 Original iPad (16GB) Black
QUOTE Thanks
tvick47

tvick47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" i7 2.2

Probably just future proofing, since as I recall Leopard didn't have wallpapers for 2650x1440.
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

I would upgrade in a heartbeat for a retina display Mac...

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I wouldn't call it future proofing when they are also increasing the app sizes. The iMac has 2650X1440, and wallpapers can be found for it. To me, it seems like they are going to introduce either a large monitor(iMac TV?), or some other kind of integrated screen. 3200X2000 is a lot of resolution to put into something, when current resolutions are truly made for the standard web viewing sizes. It could happen, who knows, but I have a real hard time wrapping my head around that high of a resolution coming to normal MBP's.
However, if Apple can find a way for all this to work, for the normal consumer, imo, it will be a game changer!

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad 2 Launching In Twelve More Countries This Week | Apple building 'crowd-sourced traffic' service for iPhone users »