New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple's Smart Pen System: It's Time to Think Different, Again

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Apple's Smart Pen System: It's Time to Think Different, Again
Apple's Smart Pen System: It's Time to Think Different, Again - Patently Apple

How to describe this hmmm . . .
Say you have a normal pen and a normal pad of paper. You write on the pad and the ink flows through the pen and you get writing on your paper. But with the Smart Pen this happens also but also there are various cameras and sensors on it. So it's recording everything you write and every sound around.

So in short you set the pen to record in a university lecture theatre for example. You record everything you have written on your pad (via pen movements and scanning written words with the cameras and sound of the lecture with the microphones in the pen. And then when you get back to your computer you upload the textual and audio data from the pen via bluetooth or wifi. And you can have the textual data automatically converted to a text or similar file and the audio data converted into a audio file ready for editing with garageband or whatever or for playback.

So with this one Smart Pen can record in multiple formats what you are doing without any actual computer around and later upload the data to your computer. (Well non traditional computer as it could be argued this pen is a computer like a calculator is a computer too).

“If you see a stylus they blew it” – Steve Jobs.
This little quote makes me think the Smart Pen might be used as I said above and not as a direct ipad stylus. But heck anything is possible right?

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...ts-smart-pens/
This link is a continually updated archive of the Smart Pen patents from APple that have surfaced. And even at this early stage there is enough of them to suggest this Smart Pen is not something Apple is just patenting so the competition can't use. I think Apple seriously want to travel down this path. And I'm all for it. Cause it's really a different way of thinking.

Also in the same link there is patent evidence to suggest iweb is coming to the ipad soon.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I dunno, I'm not really buying into the idea and I'd really need to see this in action for further evaluation. It just seems like there's way too much involved in order to maintain fairly redundant data. It's a pen, you're already recording the information on paper.... I could care less about backing that info up in such a manner. I'd rather just have a keyboard and take notes as such in a classroom, directly to an iPad.

I was in school a few years back (sort of a continuing education deal) and even people without iPads or laptops were using keyboards hooked up to their Nokia phones, taking notes and such. I can only imagine that if they needed to, they'd upload that data to their net/notebooks later.

I'd say that this pen would be better suited for a different type of application than the one in the current example.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

I'm confused 0.o There are already "smart pens" than can record your writing, as well as sounds.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
I'm confused 0.o There are already "smart pens" than can record your writing, as well as sounds.
Yeah but.. this one is made by Apple.. duh. It's magical!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Yeah but.. this one is made by Apple.. duh. It's magical!
When it can shoot lazer beams and grant wishes, I might consider it. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Actually if Apple actually made these I'd go and buy one. Cause I like the idea. Yes I know others have done this, the Apple's version would link seamlessly to my Mac. I'm willing to may for the "it just works" (most of the time) privilege.

Why do I want one. Simple cause when I'm out I prefer to write on pen and paper then typing on a keyboard. Yes it's old tech but it's something different to what I do every day plus it keeps my handwriting skills up. A lot of adults I know use a pen like 2x a year and when they do their writing is more like scribble that only they can read. And 2 weeks later they have trouble deciphering it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sony boss reportedly reveals Apple's plans for 8MP iPhone 5 camera - rumour | Exciting changes coming to Rumors and Reports Forum »