New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple no longer shipping TechTool Deluxe with AppleCare

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Apple no longer shipping TechTool Deluxe with AppleCare
Apple no longer shipping TechTool Deluxe with AppleCare | 9 to 5 Mac Apple no longer shipping TechTool Deluxe with AppleCare | Apple Intelligence
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Yet another reason not to bother with AppleCare. I'm starting to think that Squaretrade is a better solution altogether. Glad I got turned onto it with my new iPhone.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

I would always but AppleCare as I use my machine for my freelance work and a 3-year warranty is added peace of mind. However, TechTool Deluxe has been pretty much useless for years.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Not sure it will be missed now, that's for sure. Had it uses back in the Jaguar days I think, but not now.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If I'd bought AppleCare on the Apple stuff I've bought in the last 4 years, I'd be out over $1,000 for zero return.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Fun reading for a guy who just bought his AppleCare Oh well - live and learn.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Not sure it will be missed now, that's for sure. Had it uses back in the Jaguar days I think, but not now.
I don't think you've used it recently. Not only does it have some very nice diagnostics, but it also has maintenance and optimization tools that you would otherwise have to pay big bucks for. Just the undelete files and defrag utilities are well worth it.

As far as the value of AppleCare - I think it's pretty dubious if you're savvy with computers. So, it buys you an extra 33 months of tech support (I won't use it) and 24 months of warranty against manufacturers defects. Assuming that you start out with a good quality machine, it's unlikely that any of the solid state components are going to fail. So what does that leave? The hard drive ($60), fans ($40) and the SuperDrive ($150). The cost of the warranty for a MacBook Pro is $350 (a little less depending on where you look). Even if I had to replace all three components, I would still be ahead without AC.

I took some solace in the fact that Apple replaced my battery in my old MBP on two occasions, at a value of $240. And with the inclusion of TTP (worth $99), it didn't seem too awful. But now that the latter is gone and knowing that Squaretrade offers a full 3 year warranty with accidental damage protection for $300, I'm definitely leaning in that direction.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Accidental damage, now that I could have used to replace my bottom case.

And I'm still waiting for the day when I knock over my coffee cup onto it. It's bound to happen some day. I've killed at least a couple of keyboards that way over the last 30 years.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post

And I'm still waiting for the day when I knock over my coffee cup onto it. It's bound to happen some day. I've killed at least a couple of keyboards that way over the last 30 years.
Please don't say that!

I've gotten very paranoid recently after reading all the "Help! I spilled XYZ on my Mac" threads.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
If I'd bought AppleCare on the Apple stuff I've bought in the last 4 years, I'd be out over $1,000 for zero return.
And as an opposite, I've had logic boards replaced on a few machines over the years, and my latest MBP was completely swapped out for a brand new model.

For me, AppleCare is worth it, but to each their own. It all is dependent on how much risk you want to assume and how likely you feel it is that something would go wrong.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post

I've gotten very paranoid recently after reading all the "Help! I spilled XYZ on my Mac" threads.
Me too!! And having a rambunctious 2.5 yr old and a black lab doesn't help!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
You should check your credit card company also. For example Amex covers accidental loss or damage as well as some other really interesting stuff that I doubt most people realize. I had an LCD TV replaced when there was a Wii accident and candle wax went all over the screen

Other card companies may offer something similar.

Also, most credit cards will automatically double the manufacturer's warranty for up to an additional year.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I don't think you've used it recently. Not only does it have some very nice diagnostics, but it also has maintenance and optimization tools that you would otherwise have to pay big bucks for. Just the undelete files and defrag utilities are well worth it.

True I haven't, but then I haven't had the need to either.
I see your point of course, just not so sure personally.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Me too!! And having a rambunctious 2.5 yr old and a black lab doesn't help!
Well, if it's any comfort, my nearly 3 year old and my 6 year old, who are incidentally systematically destroying the interior of my home, have yet to inflict damage on any of my Apple products (knock on wood). Of course a fair amount of threatening words and glances when they approach might have something to do with that...

Both of them know not to touch Daddy's toys otherwise they may need to look for a new place to live

QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post

Both of them know not to touch Daddy's toys otherwise they may need to look for a new place to live
You mean they actually acknowledge that it's your house? You'll have to share your parenting secrets! Ever since she was about 2 I've been convinced that she knows she owns the house and we're just living here thanks to her generosity!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Did Apple release a secret MacBook/Pro Firmware update that enables 8GB RAM config? | Steve Jobs: The Next Insanely Great Thing »