New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

OS 10.7 Lion feature/rumour roundup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: iChat 6 adds Yahoo IM, account integration, web page sharing
AppleInsider | Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: iChat 6 adds Yahoo IM, account integration, web page sharing
QUOTE Thanks
Bcn

Bcn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: AirDrop local file sharing
AppleInsider | Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: AirDrop local file sharing
I wonder if this features works with external HDD's as well. I went to my local Apple Store the other day, and the guy I spoke to didn't really know too much about Lion or Airdrop, he said that he thought it might work, but wasn't sure.

I'm looking to buy a new HDD, and if this feature works with external HDD's, I might as well buy one that works with Airdrop.

Anybody got any thoughts on that? Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcn View Post
I wonder if this features works with external HDD's as well. I went to my local Apple Store the other day, and the guy I spoke to didn't really know too much about Lion or Airdrop, he said that he thought it might work, but wasn't sure.

I'm looking to buy a new HDD, and if this feature works with external HDD's, I might as well buy one that works with Airdrop.

Anybody got any thoughts on that? Cheers!

AirDrop only works between Mac computers that are compatible with not only Lion, but have the compatible WiFi card to use AirDrop. With this being said, the only thing you can do when using AirDrop with another user (they too must have AirDrop open) is send them a file, and from there, they'll decide where to put that file.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.1
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.1
 Mac mini Server m10 - OS X 10.9.3
 MacBook Uni l09 - OS X 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
darrylyoung

darrylyoung is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iPhone 5 | iPad 4

I'm not sure if any of you guys have seen this but the official UK price is 20.99. Let's hope we don't have to wait much longer!

Web Developer, Vegan & Tech geek. Berlin.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

$31.99 here in Australia, which is $7.01 cheaper than SL . . . . Finally we didnt get ripped off with the different pricing that goes on around the world . . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
gumba128

gumba128 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Meh ...... Old news.

Use the Keyboard Shortcut Control>Command>D when you put your cursor over any word in any App . . . . . Brilliant

One of my Favourites
Not sure I follow..What is this for? I'm pressing control>command>D in google chrome and it's not doing anything..
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumba128 View Post
Not sure I follow..What is this for? I'm pressing control>command>D in google chrome and it's not doing anything..
Put your cursor over any word in any app, and press that. You'll get a nice little dictionary definition without ever having opened Dictionary.app

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss View Post
Put your cursor over any word in any app, and press that. You'll get a nice little dictionary definition without ever having opened Dictionary.app
Actually, it does not work in Google Chrome like it does Safari.

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
Actually, it does not work in Google Chrome like it does Safari.
Command + D in Chrome = Add to bookmark.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Command + D in Chrome = Add to bookmark.
Oh.

Well wait a minute...Control+Command+D is the Dictionary pop up in Safari. Isn't there something for Dictionary in Chrome?

QUOTE Thanks
gumba128

gumba128 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss View Post
Nice!..Thx
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Meh ...... Old news.

Use the Keyboard Shortcut Control>Command>D when you put your cursor over any word in any App . . . . . Brilliant

One of my Favourites
New useful piece of information learned. Thank you.

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post
new useful piece of information learned. Thank you. ;d

yw

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
DominicMiles

DominicMiles is on a distinguished road

I have to say that installing Lion was a huge time wasting affair for me. It corrupted my Adobe Creative Suite CS3 and no solution offered worked. The wifi keeps dropping out - a common problem it would seem from other postings on the internet. My Filemaker programme crashed on opening. At times the computer speed was so slow you simply had to reboot it.

A big disappointment that almost makes Windows Vista seem acceptable by comparison.

After 2 days messing around I am now back to Snow Leopard, and that's where I'm staying until they sort out the vast problems with this new OS. I doubt I'll get my money back though!

I received an email from Apple perhaps 6 weeks ago trumpeting the imminent arrival of Lion, and stating what a fantastic new OS it was going to be.

Here's what it didn't tell you:

No more Rosetta, so my old Office for Mac 2005 would no longer work, or any other Power PC programmes. Why? There is no reason to stop this, other than built in obsolescence = greed.

My Adobe CS3 programmes played up. CS3 is fine for me, it's only a few years old and does everything I want. InDesign wouldn't print, but then I was told to remove some files, which worked. Except every time I opened Acrobat Pro, it posted a warning window that without these removed files, it wouldn't function properly. Upgrade to CS5.5: 900+. No thank you.

My Filemaker Pro 8.5 crashed repeatedly. Some plonk on this forum said that I should upgrade to the latest version. Why should I have to cough up nearly 200 to upgrade my database when it performed perfectly well as it was under Snow Leopard?

Wi fi problems galore.

Markedly slower processing speeds (my iMac is only 2 years old).

So what does Lion offer? Fancy graphics. Big deal. Loss of functionality of older programmes. An opportunity to spend money unnecessarily just to satisfy this new OS. I think it is pretty poor customer service and the designers should have incorporated continuing service to us Mac users who are perfectly happy with our existing products.

I've now erased it and restored Snow Leopard. 2 days out of my life that would have been better spent focussing on running my business.

0/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
Adobe CS3 seems to be working fine for others on Lion, with the exception of a bug that causes its programs to crash when you try to print from them. That can be fixed by removing the following files:

/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/en.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_CN.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Ja.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/ko.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_TW.lproj

Apple just addressed the WiFi issues with Lion in the 10.7.1 update. Maybe you should've waited a couple more days.

FileMaker has kept known issues with Lion documented for some time now, and they have stated that only version 11 will be supported to work with Lion going forward. Since you're a couple versions behind on Adobe CS, I'm guessing that's probably the case with this program too. You might want to read up on the apps you use before a major OS upgrade next time. It's not as if you needed Lion.
Sorry, but Lion was promoted to me by email from Apple claiming it was fab. No mention of having to research whether or not my programmes that worked happily under Snow Leopard would still function. And why don't they? That could have been built into Lion. I was encouraged to install it and I did. And if you really think for others it is working well, I suggest you get out there on the net and peruse the volumes of criticism about this shoddy product.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicMiles View Post
I have to say that installing Lion was a huge time wasting affair for me. It corrupted my Adobe Creative Suite CS3 and no solution offered worked. The wifi keeps dropping out - a common problem it would seem from other postings on the internet. My Filemaker programme crashed on opening. At times the computer speed was so slow you simply had to reboot it.

A big disappointment that almost makes Windows Vista seem acceptable by comparison.

After 2 days messing around I am now back to Snow Leopard, and that's where I'm staying until they sort out the vast problems with this new OS. I doubt I'll get my money back though!
Adobe CS3 seems to be working fine for others on Lion, with the exception of a bug that causes its programs to crash when you try to print from them. That can be fixed by removing the following files:

/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/en.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_CN.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Ja.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/ko.lproj
/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_TW.lproj

Apple just addressed the WiFi issues with Lion in the 10.7.1 update. Maybe you should've waited a couple more days.

FileMaker has kept known issues with Lion documented for some time now, and they have stated that only version 11 will be supported to work with Lion going forward. Since you're a couple versions behind on Adobe CS, I'm guessing that's probably the case with this program too. You might want to read up on the apps you use before a major OS upgrade next time. It's not as if you needed Lion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rumor: Apple's carrier partners are testing a 4G-capable LTE iPhone | Apple releases Mac OS X 10.7.1 with Wi-Fi improvements, audio out fixes »