New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

OS 10.7 Lion feature/rumour roundup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: New WiFi Diagnostics tool
AppleInsider | Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: New WiFi Diagnostics tool
Quote:
Apple has added a new WiFi Diagnostics utility to monitor the performance of wireless networks, record events, capture raw network frames, and log diagnostic data that can be sent to Apple by users for troubleshooting.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
When you highlight a word and use the Look Up in Dictionary command, a pop-up appears with the definition rather than launching the Dictionary app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss View Post
I'm excited about this one, actually. I do a lot of writing, and when I try to expand my vocabulary I often need to make sure I'm using the word correctly.
Meh ...... Old news.

Use the Keyboard Shortcut Control>Command>D when you put your cursor over any word in any App . . . . . Brilliant

One of my Favourites

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 Mac mini - 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Meh ...... Old news.

Use the Keyboard Shortcut Control>Command>D when you put your cursor over any word in any App . . . . . Brilliant

One of my Favourites
You sir, have just saved me a load of time looking up words I find questionable.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.1
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10.1
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Meh ...... Old news.

One of my Favourites

Brilliant! Thank you for the information!

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Server: Apple replaces Samba for Windows networking services
AppleInsider | Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Server: Apple replaces Samba for Windows networking services
Quote:
The upcoming release of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Server will remove the formerly bundled open source Samba software and replace it with Apple's own tools for Windows file sharing and network directory services.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Expanded GPU support in Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.7 hints at future Mac hardware
AppleInsider | Expanded GPU support in Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.7 hints at future Mac hardware
Quote:
Apple's newly released Mac OS X 10.6.7 security and maintenance update for Snow Leopard features support for the latest -- and even some unreleased -- AMD Radeon graphics cards, hinting at inclusion in future Mac hardware.
Apple releases Mac OS X 10 Lion Developer Preview 2 to developers
AppleInsider | Apple releases Mac OS X 10 Lion Developer Preview 2 to developers
Quote:
Apple on Wednesday released the second developer preview of its upcoming Mac OS X Lion operating system due this summer, but contrary to recent reports, the pre-release software is not a Gold Master.
Lion preview shows off new iCal look, iChat changes
Lion preview shows off new iCal look, iChat changes | MacNN
Quote:
Developers and others poring over the second Developer Preview of Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion," released earlier today have already uncovered a few changes, including alterations to iChat and a dramatic new look for iCal, reports The Next Web.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to deliver Scene Kit framework for 3D apps
AppleInsider | Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to deliver Scene Kit framework for 3D apps
Quote:
The release of Mac OS X Lion will debut a new development framework called Scene Kit, which developers say will support easy to implement 3D rendering within their apps.
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion sets, finds, corrects insecure folder permissions
AppleInsider | Mac OS X 10.7 Lion sets, finds, corrects insecure folder permissions
Quote:
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion makes system wide changes to standard folder ownership and permissions to enhance security, finding and recommending changes where necessary.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

woops, already there, how did i miss it?

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Lion's Screen Sharing app goes multi-user, more
Lion's Screen Sharing app goes multi-user, more | MacNN
Quote:
Screen Sharing in the forthcoming Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" has been considerably beefed up, now allowing multiple remote users to log into accounts that are not currently active, and allowing for concurrent users working independently of each other -- much closer to Apple Remote Desktop's ability or Microsoft's Terminal Services, according to an investigation by AppleInsider. The app has been updated from v1.1 to v1.3, and now allows completely separate sessions from any other locally- or remotely-logged in user.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: iCal 4.0 gets annual view, iPad appearance
AppleInsider | Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: iCal 4.0 gets annual view, iPad appearance
Quote:
Apple's iCal 4.0 in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion's second Developer Preview adopts an iPad appearance and a new annual view.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion features new System Information app
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion features new System Information app
Quote:
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion will have a new feature that should make it easier for everyone to quickly find the system data they need.
Maybe this should have a sticky for a while at least till 10.7 is released then everyone can easily find this topic or it'll just get buried in with the other topics. Just an idea.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Yeah, but at some point we have to weigh the likelihood the thread gets too long so people don't read it all and that the information in it becomes too old and out of date to stay relevant. So I'm not sure stickying would be the best approach.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Maybe this should have a sticky for a while at least till 10.7 is released then everyone can easily find this topic or it'll just get buried in with the other topics. Just an idea.
I agree 8th. Just until it is released would be good. I had to subscribe to the thread to keep up to date with what you are posting, but until 10.7 arrives it could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Yeah, but at some point we have to weigh the likelihood the thread gets too long so people don't read it all and that the information in it becomes too old and out of date to stay relevant. So I'm not sure stickying would be the best approach.
Are there not some stickies 600 odd pages long? And if it was stickied up until 10.7 arrives and we all have a good idea it would be in the not to distant future, then that wouldnt make it too old or not relevant as until 10.7 does rear its ugly head everything here would be relevant?? Just wondering is all

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Appreciate the feedback, but it's not going to be stickied. That's not the best approach for this type of information that is constantly changing and influx. There are already articles in this thread that are out of date or are incorrect.

As for 600-page long stickies, depends on their purpose. Social threads, sure. Other information threads need to be rotated periodically to clear out old information and shorten it down so people actually find it useful.

Not to mention the difficulty in having a coherent conversation in a thread like this on every topic having to do with Lion. That would eventually just become a mess.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

I see your point. And I agree. Old tech news is as useful as squat. It's either new or it's trash. I'll just keep this topic updated as long as needs to be done.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rumor: Apple's carrier partners are testing a 4G-capable LTE iPhone | Apple releases Mac OS X 10.7.1 with Wi-Fi improvements, audio out fixes »