New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

First Look: Inside Apple's fast new Thunderbolt port on MacBook Pros

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

First Look: Inside Apple's fast new Thunderbolt port on MacBook Pros
AppleInsider | First Look: Inside Apple's fast new Thunderbolt port on MacBook Pros
Quote:
Apple has introduced the first implementation of Intel's new Thunderbolt technology for high speed communications, aimed at providing a very fast new data connection for mobile professionals.
Intel details Thunderbolt, says Apple has full year head start
AppleInsider | Intel details Thunderbolt, says Apple has full year head start
Quote:
At a press conference earlier this morning, Intel offered additional information about its new Thunderbolt interconnect technology being pioneered by Apple in its latest batch of MacBook Pros, noting Apple will have a year long head start in deploying the technology.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

A full years head start is a big reason to not waste ones money on a new MBP based on using TB technology, even for a "professional" since no one knows exactly how many or what kind of peripherals will be supported or when support will be coming, period. It's one thing to be an early adopter of new technology, but I think it's another thing entirely to spend money on technology that you can't even use for who knows how long...

If Apple knew they'd have a year's head start, it would have been truly smart of them to have partnered up with a few third party company's who make peripherals to accompany the release and not have people saying: "Wow.... cool ! So now what do we do with this?"

I'm sure we'll see things shortly, like maybe in a few months *hopefully less* but still, it seems a bit unprofessional to pull what seems like a preview stunt.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Unless I read differently, Apple is going the Thunderbolt route but will not put a Blue Ray player/burner in the newer Macs.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

According to Intel it isn't exactly exclusive. They are open to manufacturers using the T.B. technology on their products.

And 2 peripherals with T.B. tech are officially announced - 1 coming Q2 2011 and the other is Summer 2011.

Intel refutes Apple exclusivity for Thunderbolt I/O, LaCie and Promise detail first Thunderbolt peripherals -- Engadget

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

But there are already peripherals for USB 3.0 and Apple wouldn't put them in machines even though at this point in time they would be more useful. Somehow this doesn't make a lot of sense to me

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
Unless I read differently, Apple is going the Thunderbolt route but will not put a Blue Ray player/burner in the newer Macs.
BluRay. Not Blue Ray. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
It seems Apple's answer to this is to make the new DVD drive 8x and support double-layer DVD discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
According to Intel it isn't exactly exclusive. They are open to manufacturers using the T.B. technology on their products.
That's good to hear because it will help Thunderbolt to be adopted quicker which I really hope will happen because it's a very interesting technology. I would prefer Thunderbolt over USB 3 as long as there will also be a large selection of products for it unlike Firewire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
But there are already peripherals for USB 3.0 and Apple wouldn't put them in machines even though at this point in time they would be more useful. Somehow this doesn't make a lot of sense to me
Unless I'm mistaken from what I've read Thunderbolt can be used like the old ExpressCard port. This means that you just need to buy an adaptor that has the port connections you want so yes it will probably handle USB 3, 2, Firewire, etc. This bring back the usefulness of the ExpressCard port but at greater possible speeds.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

You can see exactly where this TB tech is going. Updated time capsules with a TB port maybe? Or maybe you can hook up to MPB's or other Macs in the future and work on Mac with data stored on the other.

This TB port makes an external almost as good as an internal. Having the TB port is pointless if you can do nothing with it. And I'm sure Apple have plans to make use of this new port.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Here's a good article on Thunderbolt:

What you need to know about Thunderbolt | Computers | MacUser | Macworld

LaCie has already announced hard drives based on the technology:
LaCie is the premier manufacturer of high quality digital storage.

And these folks have already announced RAID systems:

Promise
Press Releases

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Another nice TB article.

What Is Thunderbolt And Will It Change Your Life?
What Is Thunderbolt And Will It Change Your Life?
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Technology is moving too I LOVE PRETTY PONIES fast.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Technology is moving too I LOVE PRETTY PONIES fast.
If that's true, why is it that the year 2,000 came and passed, and I still don't have a robot maid, a flying car, or a virtual reality closet in which I can take a vacation and ride dinosaurs?

All my life I'd been told that I would have all of those by the year 2,000.
I think that I've been lied to!

It's 2011 and all that I get is a faster data bus called Thunderbolt...

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Watch Futurama.
And you'll see those things will come by the year 3000.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Watch Futurama.
And you'll see those things will come by the year 3000.
Forgive me for being curmudgeonly about this...but I'm not prepared to wait that long.

(However, I am an ardent Futurama watcher.)

Even Back To The Future said that I'd have flying cars (and skateboards) by now.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

If you believed the movies you'd have your flying cars now. But you would not have long to enjoy it with the ending of the world and all in 2012.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Xcode 4 hands-on: be sure to RTFM first | Analysts: Apple could sell 600,000 iPad 2s during debut weekend »