New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Mac OS X Lion to Have User Interface Overhaul?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

The picture in the link makes no sense to me. Why have an iOS like grid on the desktop and the same apps also in the dock?
But if this is launchpad then it's ok
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

That is a screenshot of launchpad so it's nothing new so far.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
BenGlasgow

BenGlasgow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i7 2.93ghz iMac

When is it due now, it was supposed to be 2010 was it not?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGlasgow View Post
When is it due now, it was supposed to be 2010 was it not?
No. Apple said last year when the announced Lion that it would be summer 2011.

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Umm…haven't we heard this already? This seems more like regurgitated facts…with a few new bits of rumors.

 MB White Uni l'09 - OS X 10.9
 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 5th gen iPod touch - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
Umm…haven't we heard this already? This seems more like regurgitated facts…with a few new bits of rumors.
Yeah, pretty much.

I wouldn't mind a nice UI refresh, although the elegance of SL is going to keep me happy for quite some time.

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
BenGlasgow

BenGlasgow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i7 2.93ghz iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
No. Apple said last year when the announced Lion that it would be summer 2011.
So they did it was the Ap Store I was thinking of...apologies.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

New info:
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/24/...mac-os-x-lion/

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

The sad part is I'm more excited about a new version of Mail at this point than anything else in Lion

QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Quote:
The sad part is I'm more excited about a new version of Mail at this point than anything else in Lion
I know what you mean. I was looking at Sparrow, but it seems this might be the better alternative. I'll save my $10 for something else.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I'm liking versions and mail too.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Yeah, I want to see what else is revealed as time goes on. Some of the things so far I'm not really impressed with.

For example, I think Launchpad is the dumbest thing, especially for a desktop environment. But at least I don't have to use it.

QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

I know that you may have already seen this, but here's a nice preview of Mac OSX Lion straight from Apple!

link

What on this list are you most excited about? I like the idea of AirDrop! Reminds me of Bump for iOS.

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I hadn't seen some of those things such as Resume or Versions, neat thanks. What I'm wondering about these new features for one thing, is whether they'll apply only to Apple's apps, or will they work as well with other programs too?

Versions seems like an ok thing, but the one thing I never liked about the idea of how Apple likes to use Versions is how too many versions can accumulate and start to eat up disk space. This is especially noticeable with apps such as iTunes or Aperture. Documents of course won't take up nearly as much space, but if versions applies to other data heavy apps, then who knows..

Resume sounds cool too but, I'm wondering if this will also require more disk space or RAM to be eaten up significantly, and will this be an option to turn on and off ?

I like the idea of Launch Pad, but to me, it renders the Dock absolutely redundant aside from the fact that you have to actually launch... launch pad FROM the dock. As it is, I have my non Apple apps in folders, categorized as I like, and there's not much aside from a prettier way to view this, that Launch Pad will add to that IMO. I'd rather just have no dock, and use the Launch Pad icon on the desktop to launch it with one click. I just really don't get the use of the Dock and LP at the same time

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
You and me both. I was looking at the preview page and found that to be the most compelling feature (and this is if you count a new version of an app to be a new feature of the OS). Now, if Versions allows you to specify which folders get watched, that could be a great feature as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
As it is, I have my non Apple apps in folders, categorized as I like, and there's not much aside from a prettier way to view this, that Launch Pad will add to that IMO.
You'd be able to organize your Apple apps into folders as well which you may appreciate given your recent issue with Mail. Probably not worth a new system of launching/organizing apps though.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 10.7 Lion drops support for PowerPC applications | Mac OS X Lion adds new iOS-like About this Mac app »