New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

How Steve Jobs 'out-Japanned' Japan

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

How Steve Jobs 'out-Japanned' Japan
How Steve Jobs 'out-Japanned' Japan - SFGate
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

That article is rather insightful. But it makes perfect sense. Of course, I was born in the fading years of Sony (early 90s) when the Walkman was popular of all things, and nothing else from Sony (someone want to correct me on this?). And here lies the world with iPhones, iPods and a Mac (or three), and the iPad. Could Sony have predicted this?

 MB White Uni l'09 - OS X 10.9
 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 5th gen iPod touch - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I was also a 90's kid. And lived through the walkman. But in technology if all your eggs are in one basket (as was for sony), when that product become out of date as all tech products will, then you'll fail. The day the walkman (and the short lived discman) died, is when Sonly lost a part it might never get back.
QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

NumberSix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
I was born in the fading years of Sony (early 90s) when the Walkman was popular of all things, and nothing else from Sony (someone want to correct me on this?).
I believe their TVs were still considered to be the best, even if ridiculously overpriced.

Ridiculously overpriced is the only thing that Sony kept from those days (in my opinion of course)
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I was also a 90's kid. And lived through the walkman. But in technology if all your eggs are in one basket (as was for sony), when that product become out of date as all tech products will, then you'll fail. The day the walkman (and the short lived discman) died, is when Sonly lost a part it might never get back.
Yeah the 90s were awesome growing up. I'm also from the 80s as well, so I was there for most of the Sony Walkman days. It was pretty much the way it is today, but with the Sony Walkmans. Just about everybody had one, or two for that matter.

~~Way off topic, but I'm also a Sony Veteran for almost all of their their lost media battles: Betamax, Digital Audio Tape, Minidisc, MemoryStick, Universal Media Disc. While most of these were mildly successful in the professional audio fields, they aren't so popular with the mainstream commercial sales. I"m usually loyal to brands that make a great product, but Sony has consistently priced themselves out of my budget with personal electronics for the past 10 years.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
cadet311

cadet311 is on a distinguished road

Sure is an interesting read.
QUOTE Thanks
ZachUSAman

ZachUSAman is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram

If Steve Jobs "out-Japanned" Japan, why didnt he get his ninja star?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Oh, Sony Walkman...you mean this thing?
IMG_0359.jpg
made me go looking for it. Still have it, and still works like new!

Can't forget about the Playstation1 in the 90's!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Oh, Sony Walkman...you mean this thing?
Attachment 14348
made me go looking for it. Still have it, and still works like new!

Can't forget about the Playstation1 in the 90's!
I had an old cassette playing "Walkman" with 4 buttons (if memory serves) Stop, Play, Rev, Fwd. I don't even think it had an AM/FM tuner in it. Who would think I could have more music on my mobile phone than I ever had in my entire cassette collection in the mid-80's? Wow!

Born in the late 70's. But I know there are others here who exceed my own age.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

Here we go! Damaging my hearing since 1989!

"That's Peter Graves scat! I'd know it anywhere!"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad overheating lawsuit dismissed as Jobs' controversial mansion is razed | Microsoft CEO taps engineers as execs to take on Apple »