New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Mac App Store hastens Apple's plans to cease boxed software sales - rumour

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Mac App Store hastens Apple's plans to cease boxed software sales - rumour
AppleInsider | Mac App Store hastens Apple's plans to cease boxed software sales - rumor
Quote:
A new rumor suggests that Apple plans to cease all sales of boxed software at its retail stores, instead relying solely on digital distribution through the Mac App Store.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

bad idea. some people cant rely on their internet. I hope this doesn't become true.

I will never download something such as logic etc. the files are far too big. i doubt it will actually happen.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

I agree. It's a terrible idea to get away from physical media completely. I'm lucky with my internet service, but some people have bandwidth limits by the month, some people have very slow connections... Not everyone can download huge files like that. And even some who can, don't want to do it. It's much easier to grab a disc off the shelf and pop it in...

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

So what? Do you think Apple Stores are the ONLY place to purchase boxed software? This is Apple's decision for how it plans to handle the software it sells. This has no impact on anyone in any way.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

Well, as long as they don't stop making physical media for their stuff, ie. iLife, iWork, Aperture, Logic, etc. then it won't have any impact Sure it's fine if they want to stop selling it in store, as long as they still make it, is all that I was getting at.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree. It's not a big deal as you can always purchase the boxed software at on line distributors and resellers such as Amazon. As a matter of fact, you're better off not buying direct from Apple because they offer no discounts.

Our Apple store near my home sells titles like MS Office and Adobe software for full retail. I can easily beat those prices by shopping on line.
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

I can see exactly where all of you come from; and I'm sure some of you are probably much older than me...I'm 19. But I've always been superfluously fascinated with digital media rather than physical media. When it comes to my xbox 360, I've been converting all of my games to their "Games on Demand" which are digital downloads, rather than buying the actual disc. Of course, this is much more expensive than buying the game used(5$ vs say 20$) but in the long run, I like knowing I have the software purchased and locked into my account for good, where I can never lose it...the way I lose physical things left and right.

As far as things going from physical to digital, I'm all for it because it's that much more of a plus to me. But I also, very much so, see the point where you all are coming from when it comes to getting rid of the physical media. I think this is Apple's way of FORCING people into digital?

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I agree. It's not a big deal as you can always purchase the boxed software at on line distributors and resellers such as Amazon. As a matter of fact, you're better off not buying direct from Apple because they offer no discounts.
This brings up another point... Will the Mac App Store offer discounts (as already seen with Apps like Aperture) since Apple will not have to pay for shipping and not have to use store space for those items?

This could be a win/win.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

Not only that MymacROX, but think if physical media production was just taken away completely(no factories, no shipping or storing like you said, no physical production cost).

Very good point!

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePope43 View Post
Not only that MymacROX, but think if physical media production was just taken away completely(no factories, no shipping or storing like you said, no physical production cost).

Very good point!
But surely they'll be smart enough to know that "completely" halting production of physical media would be a very bad idea and in their very worst interest.

QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Seems like Apple would like to sway customers more towards the Mac App Store being that it cuts their costs on distribution and the app store provides more easily accessible apps to the majority.

I don't see Apple eliminating boxed software, especially internationally being that bandwidth caps are more prevalent. I'd imagine at the Apple Stores they'd not stock the software, but recommend purchasing directly from the website or the Mac App Store and have customers decide for themselves, which options is best for them.

As for Mac OS X distribution, they'll continue to use a boxed option, no doubt.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
bad idea. some people cant rely on their internet. I hope this doesn't become true.
Well the Apple stores would have a net connection. And I'm sure you could download it instore and they'd burn it to an Apple branded disc or USB stick. That's saving in packaging and freight costs.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Wow, didn't see this one coming...

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Well the Apple stores would have a net connection. And I'm sure you could download it instore and they'd burn it to an Apple branded disc or USB stick. That's saving in packaging and freight costs.
They could do that in-store, but wouldnt that be defeating the purpose of the non-boxed software ????

If they do this, what are they going to put on the wall in the corner where all this stuff sit ??? Maybe they are going to be making room for ????? in the near future ??

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I think what he possibly could mean is that you walk into your local Apple store and buy a new MBP, and the salesperson then asks: "Would you like to purchase a copy of so and so from the App store"? "I can download it for you and place it on a disk or thumb drive."

I wonder how many new customers would actually take advantage of a service like that? Probably quite a few. Of course the Apple store also gets to sell you a thumb drive in the process.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.8 with Mac App Store enhancements for Lion | Apple Blocks SHSH Blob Method Of Downgrading Firmware Versions In iOS 5 »