Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Apple's new App Store restrictions block Sony eBookstore, may lock out Amazon
    Apple's new App Store restrictions block Sony eBookstore, may lock out Amazon
    AppleInsider | Apple's new App Store restrictions block Sony eBookstore, may lock out Amazon
    Apple has tightened restrictions on its iOS App Store by requiring all in-app purchases to go through it, resulting in the rejection of an eBookstore application from Sony, a new report claims.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Amazon does not offer in-app sales of it's ebooks.

Nor does B&N via their Nook app.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    I don't get what the big deal is. ^^what bobtomay said^^
    In my opinion, to Apple, this is almost the same as them freely letting you run jailbroken apps into their networks without paying...not going to work. Of course they are going to block them!
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Amazon does not offer in-app sales of it's ebooks.

Nor does B&N via their Nook app.
    Last I read, Apple requires any apps that are for consuming content purchased outside the store also be able to allow purchasing the same content within the app as an in-app purchase. The reason the Amazon/B&N apps have thus far been able to skirt this rule is because they came along before the App Store supported in-app purchases in the first place.

Personally, I think Apple is being overzealous with these rules. They have completely fumbled magazine/news subscriptions, and are now doing it to ebooks.

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Apple denies claim that Sony Reader, Kindle in danger on iOS App Store
    AppleInsider | Apple denies claim that Sony Reader, Kindle in danger on iOS App Store
    Apple issued a surprisingly timely response to a claim made by the New York Times that suggested the company might bar iOS apps that sell content outside of Apple's software market within iTunes.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Now that one has me worried. The way that story puts it, there certainly is a danger that Apple, quite simply, could run Amazon, B&N and everyone else selling a similar product as Apple offers out of the iOS market.

If those two are forced to sell their ebooks in-app and give Apple 30% of the selling price, I don't see anyway either of them could sell ebooks at the same price as the iBooks store.

It would quite simply be time for me to get another Kindle and would reduce drastically the number of books purchased through iBooks and the amount of time the iPhone and iPad are in my hand.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    That 30% is the privilege they pay to have their product on the ipad. I'm sure if ibooks was ever on the kindle Amazon would make Apple pay a fee/surcharge to use their product on the kindle. It works both ways.

The 70/30 "agency" model is already standard for ebook sale with Amazon, et al. If Apple demands a 30% cut, Amazon et al will have no choice but to jack up their asking prices by over 40% for sales off the iPad app vs off their own sites, or they'd make zero profit. Any way you slice it, this is not a consumer-friendly move on Apple's part.

Thread Information