New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple's new App Store restrictions block Sony eBookstore, may lock out Amazon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Apple's new App Store restrictions block Sony eBookstore, may lock out Amazon
AppleInsider | Apple's new App Store restrictions block Sony eBookstore, may lock out Amazon
Quote:
Apple has tightened restrictions on its iOS App Store by requiring all in-app purchases to go through it, resulting in the rejection of an eBookstore application from Sony, a new report claims.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Amazon does not offer in-app sales of it's ebooks.

Nor does B&N via their Nook app.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I don't get what the big deal is. ^^what bobtomay said^^
In my opinion, to Apple, this is almost the same as them freely letting you run jailbroken apps into their networks without paying...not going to work. Of course they are going to block them!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Amazon does not offer in-app sales of it's ebooks.

Nor does B&N via their Nook app.
Last I read, Apple requires any apps that are for consuming content purchased outside the store also be able to allow purchasing the same content within the app as an in-app purchase. The reason the Amazon/B&N apps have thus far been able to skirt this rule is because they came along before the App Store supported in-app purchases in the first place.

Personally, I think Apple is being overzealous with these rules. They have completely fumbled magazine/news subscriptions, and are now doing it to ebooks.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Apple denies claim that Sony Reader, Kindle in danger on iOS App Store
AppleInsider | Apple denies claim that Sony Reader, Kindle in danger on iOS App Store
Quote:
Apple issued a surprisingly timely response to a claim made by the New York Times that suggested the company might bar iOS apps that sell content outside of Apple's software market within iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Now that one has me worried. The way that story puts it, there certainly is a danger that Apple, quite simply, could run Amazon, B&N and everyone else selling a similar product as Apple offers out of the iOS market.

If those two are forced to sell their ebooks in-app and give Apple 30% of the selling price, I don't see anyway either of them could sell ebooks at the same price as the iBooks store.

It would quite simply be time for me to get another Kindle and would reduce drastically the number of books purchased through iBooks and the amount of time the iPhone and iPad are in my hand.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

That 30% is the privilege they pay to have their product on the ipad. I'm sure if ibooks was ever on the kindle Amazon would make Apple pay a fee/surcharge to use their product on the kindle. It works both ways.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

The 70/30 "agency" model is already standard for ebook sale with Amazon, et al. If Apple demands a 30% cut, Amazon et al will have no choice but to jack up their asking prices by over 40% for sales off the iPad app vs off their own sites, or they'd make zero profit. Any way you slice it, this is not a consumer-friendly move on Apple's part.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel error also affects mobile, could delay Apple's next-gen MacBook Pros | iPad 2 specs said to include HD video, 3MP camera, DisplayPort »