New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple hit with class-action suit after girl drops, breaks iPhone 4's glass

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I'm not really sure about this. What do you guys think of this?
AppleInsider | Apple hit with class-action suit after girl drops, breaks iPhone 4's glass

One part of me says this guy is a goof ball for blaming apple for his daughter dropping the phone, which broke it. But another part says what he is claiming actually makes sense. Don't claim something is stiffer, and stronger if its easier to break.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What do I think? It's a baseless suit brought by an angry father whose daughter can't hold on to her iPhone while texting.

It's the old blame game... blame it on the manufacturer and sue them; they have lots of money.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

Seriously. The amount of frivolous lawsuits is really deplorable!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Silverado

Silverado is on a distinguished road

That complaint seems about as logical as complaining that a motorcar is defective because it sinks in water, or a flat-screen TV is defective because it breaks when used as a hockey net.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Seriously. The amount of frivolous lawsuits is really deplorable!
Like the people that sue for falling down in front of your house?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Lawyers that take these sorts of cases should be strung up in the town square.

EDIT: And to speak to the toughness of the iPhone, on my 2nd day of ownership I had it in a side-leg pocket of my scrubs and when rushing down a hall (jogging) it came out of my pocket and fell directly in front of my foot as I was mid-stride. As you can imagine, I basically drop-kicked it 48 feet (I counted how many 1' tiles it traveled) down the hallway until it hit a box. It came away with the slightest little scratch on the back glass (thankfully not the front). I didn't have a case for it yet because I was waiting for the Otterbox to be released.

EDIT 2: Can't the back glass be replaced for $40 at an Apple store?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

How are you meant to warn customers about *something* defective when there isnt anything defective to warn customers about ???
Is this guy serious ??!!?!?!?!?

Quote:
"Months after selling millions of iPhone 4s, Apple has failed to warn and continues to sell this product with no warning to customers that the glass housing is defective," LeBuhn's attorneys wrote in the complaint.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
EDIT: And to speak to the toughness of the iPhone, on my 2nd day of ownership I had it in a side-leg pocket of my scrubs and when rushing down a hall (jogging) it came out of my pocket and fell directly in front of my foot as I was mid-stride. As you can imagine, I basically drop-kicked it 48 feet (I counted how many 1' tiles it traveled) down the hallway until it hit a box. It came away with the slightest little scratch on the back glass (thankfully not the front). I didn't have a case for it yet because I was waiting for the Otterbox to be released.
This makes me think the girl dropped the iphone from a much higher height. And the amount stated is exaggerated. Nothing new there though, all lawyers bend the facts to suit their side of the story.

Quote:
This makes me think even if they win, Apple will just say we'll replace the glass on every broken iphone in the lawsuit.

And two other things. Maybe Apple didn't tell us the glass housing is defective, cause maybe it is not defective. Personally I thin if it was defective, every man, dog and website would blog about the issue as was the case with antenna-gate. And antenna-gate was not even a real product fault.

I think this is just as bad as the people who buy a car, crash it in 2 days and sue the motor company for a defective car, when really it was operator error. To me it's just a case of suing for accidental damage. Any judge worth his/her salt would have this case thrown out of court.

And if anyone wonders why Apple has such a large legal team. ****e like this is why.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Not even that much. If you break the glass, you void the warranty anyways, so just get one off of ebay for 14 bucks. Or get a cool looking one. The back comes off easy as pie! Literally! Just requires the removal of the 2 bottom screws, and then just slide and lift it off. Real easy.

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Accidents happen but most people know any electronic device is prone to failure if dropped no matter what the casing is made of. Hence the warning label
on 99% of the shipping cartons Do Not Drop Fragile.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Does this guy make his daughter drink out of plastic cups and eat off of plastic plates? There's always the chance with glass anything that you could drop it, break it, and cut yourself on it.
But to attest to the strength of the iPhone 4's glass, when it first came out there was a video of some guy literally throwing an iPhone 4 on the ground as hard as he could and it took him about 3 or 4 tries to "crack" the glass. It still didn't even shatter or come apart.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

hmm, where in the manual does it suggest that you drop it on the floor.....

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

If enough people drop them and they break, people will stop buying them and they will be redesigned or retired. I don't see any evidence of that, so the issue is moot. While I don't see this a warranting a lawsuit, I am glad that the internet allows instances of product problems to light. EVERY example of a product doesn't need to exhibit a behavior in order for there to be a defect or issue. Not every Prius zipped on through every red light or ran over every owner's kid. Actually, the majority of them didn't. Toyota recalled some and redesigned components when a sufficient number of current and potential consumers became aware of the malfunctions to hurt their bottom line. It's all perception, not reality. That's how it works.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

This article is actually funny on how dumb it is:

Quote:
Apple has known for months that its industrial design of the iPhone 4 is defective but has failed to warn customers that normal use of the device can lead to a broken phone.
Quote:
More specifically, LeBuhn said that he paid over $250 in September for a new iPhone 4 only to have it rendered essentially useless after his daughter dropped it from a height of roughly three feet while attempting to send a text message
Wait...so DROPPING the iPhone qualifies as normal use of the device? I never heard Apple say: (The iPhone 4 is made to be dropped!) -_- This suit is just plain goofy.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Here's another:
Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over iPhone 4 Glass Breakage

Just because of this, I feel like suing Gorilla Glue because their glue clearly wasn't "the toughest glue on earth!" It's legit, right??

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Here's How Scared Microsoft Is Of The iPad | How Apple and Google will kill the password »