New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Steve Jobs taking leave of absence

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wavinwayne

wavinwayne has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"

Apple's Jobs to Take Medical Leave - WSJ.com

Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

He is not a healthy man it's true. And I'm sure he's taking the time off when he's not needed too much. I'd rather him take the time off and be healthy. WOnder if the investors will see the same. Cause if steve coughs the share price goes down.
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

history tells me this is not good...keep your fingers crossed!

sorry can someone fix title?

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
thank you MacForums and all it's members
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Merged duplicate threads

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Merged duplicate threads
Beat me to it.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I can't help but think his schedule for the past year has no doubt been exhaustive the man
is always thinking of whats next and hope for a speedy recovery.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I hope that Steve recovers quickly, I don't think this bodes well. Particularly so shortly after his last leave.

Cancer (in general) is tricky, and seldom do survivors walk away without ever encountering problems down the road. As much as I respect his right to privacy, and as much as I think his being at the helm is positive for Apple, he is definitely doing the investor community a disservice by maintaining the role of CEO.

If he believes in Tim Cook as much as he says he does, I think he should take an advisory role (much like Bill Gates did in later years) and step down as the CEO. This latest leave will surely mean a roller coaster ride for the stock, and speculation will be rampant. If Steve truly values his privacy, I think it's time for him to transition away from the CEO role.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
If Steve truly values his privacy, I think it's time for him to transition away from the CEO role.
As much as I don't want this, maybe it's time. Steve should still make his presence felt at meetings but just less than now. And let all the senior VP's do the work. And yeah the shares would tank when that happens. But if it's a slow enough transition the share loss would be minimised a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
As much as I don't want this, maybe it's time. Steve should still make his presence felt at meetings but just less than now. And let all the senior VP's do the work. And yeah the shares would tank when that happens. But if it's a slow enough transition the share loss would be minimised a lot.
Yeah, the problem is the stock is going to be unstable as long as investors aren't confident in management or the succession strategy. So, rather than taking a series of hits and the stock fluctuating wildly each time - just get it over with. Steve steps down but goes into an advisory role, naming his successor as Tim Cook. This way, he can go on leave whenever he wants to and doesn't owe anyone an explanation - and then there's no change in the leadership and nothing for investors to fret over.

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

If steve leaves now, the stock will plummet! Losing the worlds best CEO has that effect. I would rather have him as CEO right now than bring someone who might not be ready. If I were the CEO of Apple, I would hold on the the CEO position until stocks exceeded $400, so that they can have a nice split, then I would pass the torch. To me, it seems like Jobs has been training Cook real well for that day.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Godspeed Steve . . . Hope all gets better for ya mate ....

On this announcement, i cant really see anything like "the beatles are here" happening anytime soon. But then again if your sick your sick and you need to go......

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
If steve leaves now, the stock will plummet! Losing the worlds best CEO has that effect. I would rather have him as CEO right now than bring someone who might not be ready. If I were the CEO of Apple, I would hold on the the CEO position until stocks exceeded $400, so that they can have a nice split, then I would pass the torch. To me, it seems like Jobs has been training Cook real well for that day.
I've been curious about this, myself. We don't know how sick Jobs is, so I hate to say it's time to "hang up his boots." But if he hasn't already, perhaps it's time that he's started grooming a successor, preparing to pass the torch, or should the unthinkable happen, allow for it to be thrust upon an heir.

I'm particularly curious, if/when Jobs is no longer CEO, how the company would be handled. Would they still innovate the way they do now, or would they move to a model of sacrificing innovation and reliability for a higher market share and profit margin.

"That's Peter Graves scat! I'd know it anywhere!"
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

Forgetting about stocks and the future of Apple personally, as a fellow human I just hope he gets well soon!

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I agree with the assessment that Jobs should pass the torch on to Cook, and should do it right now while taking an advisory role. This would enable Jobs to supervise Cook in the background while he's still healthy enough to keep enough focus on what he thinks is going right or wrong. The more he allows Cook to stay at the helm, the better things will be if Steve ultimately gives up the reigns at a later date due to whatever circumstances happen to arise.

This also gives investors and the board ample time to make whatever decisions they need to make without causing a panic.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Bad bad news as the form of cancer, pancreatic, he suffered from is particularly lethal!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iOS 4.3 Hints at iPad 2 design | LG: WP7 falls short as carriers tire of "too much Android" »