New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iphone 5 to be GSM and CDMA capable on same handset

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

iphone 5 to be GSM and CDMA capable on same handset
AppleInsider | Rumor: Apple's iPhone 5 a GSM-CDMA world phone, iPad 2 to have SD card slot
Quote:
Apple this year plans to release a completely redesigned dual GSM-CDMA iPhone, an iPad with a high-resolution screen and an SD card slot, and a new Apple TV with an A5 processor capable of outputting 1080p video, according to a new report.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

1080p would be nice, don't know about the SD card slot though, I think they will be worried about new ways of "cracking" the device and putting 3rd party software on it with that kind of access to it. IMO

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Hmmm… if the iPhone 5 truly is dual GSM/CDMA, this could be a huge win for consumers. Throw Sprint and T-Mobile into the mix finally, and there potentially would be 4 carriers with iPhone plan pricing fighting to pull customers in from each other now that we could freely move from one to another and not have to buy yet another phone.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'm kind of doubting it will be dual GSM/CDMA simply due to cost and the fact that there is absolutely no need to make a handset like that since outside of the US and a few Asian countries the rest of the world is all on GSM. Why include the extra cost of CDMA in the iPhone 5 when a majority of iPhone 5's sold around the world won't need it?

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

NumberSix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I'm kind of doubting it will be dual GSM/CDMA simply due to cost and the fact that there is absolutely no need to make a handset like that since outside of the US and a few Asian countries the rest of the world is all on GSM. Why include the extra cost of CDMA in the iPhone 5 when a majority of iPhone 5's sold around the world won't need it?
I believe at least 2 or 3 Canadian carriers also support CDMA (not saying that would change the whole equation, but it would make more canadians happy )
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

It would certainly simplify production if one phone chassis could accommodate CDMA, GSM and both CDMA and GSM.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Majority of the world by geography may be GSM - but two very large markets(by number of people), India and China, use CDMA as well. Secondly, although having a dual chipset may be expensive - the reports are they will be using a Qualcomm chip that does both GSM/CDMA so it isn't like it is multiple chips anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

And, let's not forget Japan. They are strictly CDMA. The Japanese are famous for buying new things plus they have the money.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I imagine it's because this wont' be the only time they'll need dual chipsets. First it's GSM and CDMA, next it's going to be LTE plus GSM and/or CDMA (can't have just a pure LTE phone, will need backwards compatibility with current gen tech as LTE continues to roll out). I imagine it will be many years before the switch is made to LTE only. This explains the switch to Qualcomm, they're really good at making hybrid chipsets.

Plus it makes things easier for Apple as they won't have to worry about additional SKUs since the single model can work on both Verizon and AT&T. This goes for both the iPhone and the iPad.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I heard it's going to have a flux capacitor too. So, not only will it be able to replace your navigation system, but also your time machine. I knew there was a reason that Apple called their backup utility that! Can't wait to get mine so that I can see what the iPhone 25G will be like.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

For grins I just read the AT&T 4G FAQ:

Quote:
What is HSPA+; and what is LTE?

Question:
What is HSPA+; and what is LTE?
Answer:
AT&T recently upgraded the software of its mobile broadband network to HSPA+ (High Speed Packet Access). When HSPA+ is combined with enhanced backhaul, AT&T’s already fast mobile broadband network will deliver even faster speeds.

This evolution sets the stage for another 4G speed upgrade later this year when AT&T begins the planned initial deployment of its LTE (Long Term Evolution) network in mid-2011. Once completed, AT&T will be the only carrier to offer two layers of network technology delivering 4G speeds: HSPA+ and LTE.
Answer Center | AT&T

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I heard it's going to have a flux capacitor too. So, not only will it be able to replace your navigation system, but also your time machine. I knew there was a reason that Apple called their backup utility that! Can't wait to get mine so that I can see what the iPhone 25G will be like.
Are you telling me then that the battery will be able to store 1.21 gigawatts of power?!?!

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Are you telling me then that the battery will be able to store 1.21 gigawatts of power?!?!
Indeed. It has an on-board Mr. Fusion.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Sure they'll reverse engineer the flux capacitor and shrink it down to iphone size.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple expected to pack ultrafast, dual core SGX543 graphics into iPad 2, iPhone 5 | iOS 4.3 Hints at iPad 2 design »