New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Next intel chip series will have DRM sadly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Next intel chip series will have DRM sadly
Intel Builds Sandy Bridge With a DRM Tollbooth
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Sounds like a great opportunity for AMD to excel.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Sounds like a great opportunity for AMD to excel.
I have been secretly been supporting them for years actually. >_>" Especially on my gaming rigs.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Nice, wonder what Apple will do once they need new processors for their computer line.
Maybe an new Apple chip…

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

I'm going to be keeping my eye on this.

I don't do anything illegal with my computers, anymore. Not in years, really.

However, I don't like software and hardware companies bullying their protection schemes onto me, like this. If it isn't to protect the consumer, I don't want it.

Remember the big stink caused by the built-in DRM in CDs? This is destined to failure. We'll see what happens beyond that, I guess. I know I won't be buying anything with this on it, though.

"That's Peter Graves scat! I'd know it anywhere!"
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree. And personally do not think it will be received very well by the knowledgeable consumer. I realize that copyright infringement is wide spread in some areas of the world (China, Thailand, Singapore, for example) but why burden the overwhelming majority of computer users who are honest?

If it comes to pass, Intel is going to receive bad press from the big Mag publishers and blog writers. The bad news is that Intel has a monopoly on the chip\cpu business and may not care.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
I agree. And personally do not think it will be received very well by the knowledgeable consumer. I realize that copyright infringement is wide spread in some areas of the world (China, Thailand, Singapore, for example) but why burden the overwhelming majority of computer users who are honest?

If it comes to pass, Intel is going to receive bad press from the big Mag publishers and blog writers. The bad news is that Intel has a monopoly on the chip\cpu business and may not care.
While I do agree with what you said. Someone could argue that it wouldn't effect the majority of computer users if they truly are honest.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
...but why burden the overwhelming majority of computer users who are honest?
That's the thing companies don't understand about DRM. They are only frustrating the honest paying owners because many DRM can eventually be hacked. It only takes one person to figure it out and then everyone will know how to get around it so DRM doesn't really stop pirates it only annoys paying users.

For example the DRM Apple used to have on their iTunes music was very annoying. I wasn't able to play my music on all my portable devices especially if they were non-Apple products. The DRM wasn't preventing much illegal activities because the pirates knew how to get around the DRM protection. During that time I bought mostly music CDs because of the DRM but now that Apple has been allowed to drop DRM I buy a lot more music from iTunes.

If this DRM on Intel's Sandy Bridge turns out to be true then hopefully Apple will switch to AMD processors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem
Someone could argue that it wouldn't effect the majority of computer users if they truly are honest.
I don't think it's as clear-cut as that. My iTunes DRM is an example of this. The thing about DRM protection is that companies are limiting what you do based on how they feel it should be and not necessarily if it's illegal to do so. For example when iTunes had DRM playing my purchased music on my non-Apple device is not considered illegal but the DRM made it hard to do so. I've noticed that many times DRM only frustrates paying customers because pirates usually find a way around the issue anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

Quote:

I hope this is true. I love the intel Apple computes that I currently possess, but I have no loyalty to brands that try to be my big brother by essentially telling me what I may or may not do with items that I purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
That's the thing companies don't understand about DRM. They are only frustrating the honest paying owners because many DRM can eventually be hacked. It only takes one person to figure it out and then everyone will know how to get around it so DRM doesn't really stop pirates it only annoys paying users.

For example the DRM Apple used to have on their iTunes music was very annoying. I wasn't able to play my music on all my portable devices especially if they were non-Apple products. The DRM wasn't preventing much illegal activities because the pirates knew how to get around the DRM protection. During that time I bought mostly music CDs because of the DRM but now that Apple has been allowed to drop DRM I buy a lot more music from iTunes.

If this DRM on Intel's Sandy Bridge turns out to be true then hopefully Apple will switch to AMD processors.

I don't think it's as clear-cut as that. My iTunes DRM is an example of this. The thing about DRM protection is that companies are limiting what you do based on how they feel it should be and not necessarily if it's illegal to do so. For example when iTunes had DRM playing my purchased music on my non-Apple device is not considered illegal but the DRM made it hard to do so. I've noticed that many times DRM only frustrates paying customers because pirates usually find a way around the issue anyway.
I agree with everything you say. Especially the part with the iTunes DRM. I flat out refused to purchase any music from iTunes until recently. As for switching to AMD....YES. I've always enjoyed their products, and would definitely support this venture if Apple decided to get them aboard. Most of my old gaming rigs had AMD processors on them as I found them easier to work with and update.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
qu4drilateral

qu4drilateral is on a distinguished road

If this is true I will be avoiding it at all costs, and it has nothing to do with concern for the the content of my privacy as it does the principles behind it. This strongly reminds me of the 3rd party auto-gps function on google that was not able to be turned off (iirc) darn api.

DRM failed with CD's, and attempts to perpetuate it should (I'm crossing my fingers) fail too.
QUOTE Thanks
pam14160

pam14160 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" AL 2.93 GHz Intel C2D - SSD, HDD external, OS X 10.7, 4 GB Ram

Power to the people, down with the MPAA who are probably paying Intel a large sum of money to do this. Just an opinion nothing more.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Sorry to sound a bit noobish, but what exactly will DRM stop people from, "copying," aside from the, "streaming videos," noted in the article? Is it only that for now? If that's all what the fuss is about, I could care less, because I don't copy, "streaming," videos. However, youtube videos are good. If this is a start to apply even more copy right protection and authorization requirements to more things to come, then I would have to say, "kiss my rear to intel," and, "HELLO AMD!"

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

It's not about copy protection -- but even if it was, you should be able to copy that which you buy in order to consume it on your medium of choice -- but rather about excluding people who don't have the magic chip.

It's a little like saying, "Okay, you can eat, but only if you sit at my table. And if you won't, well you can just find another source of food." And that would be okay IF other sources will continue to be available, which is unlikely to remain the case going forward for two reasons.

Firstly, this whole marriage with Intel is of the MPAA's making, so they're going to do their level best to ensure that all online video content utilizes this filter. And secondly, online video content is the future of video consumption. Yeah, having DVDs or Blu-ray discs are great, but they're bulky, inconvenient, degrade over time, expensive (relatively) to manufacture and distribute, and more. Streaming content is the future, and this is Intel facilitating control of that future.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikarnov View Post
It's not about copy protection -- but even if it was, you should be able to copy that which you buy in order to consume it on your medium of choice -- but rather about excluding people who don't have the magic chip.
Almost sounds like a sales ploy. Maybe Intel thinks there is more money in sucking up to the RIAA and MPAA than there is in giving the consumers choice. This is something many will not rush into but there is still a buck to made somewhere.

QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

^ I'm sure you're right that there's money changing hands. I just hope there are enough informed buyers out there to make Intel's decision painful enough to reverse course.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple to Announce Second-Generation iPad Within 3-4 Weeks? | iWeb11 surprise! »